Isomorphism FTW

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Isomorphism FTW

Post by Folderol »

That looks very nice :thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18062 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

I've been looking out for the rare/discontinued Axis 64 for years now. I thought I might be within reach when one turned up at Vemia a few weeks ago, but was outbid at £1100, plus fees and delivery. That's just too much.

There's another one for sale at the moment on Reverb, but it's even dearer at £126K...

...behold the original prototype for the Axis 64. Now, that's cool.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/47445296-the ... ru-axis-64

There are currently only two hexagonal MIDI controllers commercially available; the Lumatone and the Microzone, both well over $3K. But I still think the Axis 64 had something special going for it, and I'm daydreaming about trying to build a clone. I think I found just the keys for it.

https://wooting.io/lekker

This is a new Hall-effect analogue key in the Cherry MX format. (The Lumatone uses Hall-effect keys. These produce a continuous range of values rather than on/off, thus velocity.)

To my surprise, I recently found these are already available to order, and comparatively cheap. I've ordered half a dozen to start with, though if this works out I'll need a few hundred more. (And a crash course in Arduino key-scanning libraries.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Folderol »

Looks very interesting. Where are they actually available from?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18062 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

Folderol wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:48 pm Looks very interesting. Where are they actually available from?

I originally came across these optical ones...think they might be out of production and selling off old stock, though I'm not sure. (I'm also not certain if these are entirely self-contained, or if they're just part of the sensing mechanism.)

https://wooting.store/products/analog-f ... s-big-pack

I contacted them via the address on that page to ask, and they suggested the Hall-effect ones instead, although I don't see them advertised anywhere. But they let me order half a dozen which are apparently now on the way.

Here's a blog from a few years back where they describe the different technologies.

https://blog.wooting.nl/analog-input-te ... keyboards/

They produce "gaming keyboards" where individual keys provide a range of analogue values for use with compatible software, but potential applications seem much wider, and I think they're hoping they'll catch on.

It's very difficult to find light, comfortable buttons which can be used to deliver velocity information, so they could be onto something.

Assuming they work...what's the best way to sample the state of a couple of hundred of them with a Teensy to get note-on velocity values? :)

(The original Axis used a custom silicon-rubber overlay with concentric carbon contacts. Velocity was calculated from the timing between the two consecutive connections.)

*edit*

...oh, looking at those keys again, I don't reckon they include the Hall-effect sensor, just the magnet that activates it. In the same way, I think those Flaretech optical keys only have half the equation.

Never mind; still interesting. If this is the case, you can pick up bundles of Hall-effect sensors fairly cheap if you know what type you want. Hopefully they can advise.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

It's been a long wait, but I logged into Reverb this morning for my routine check for interesting new MIDI controllers, and this flashed up, listed a few hours previously.

I didn't hesitate for long; I knew it would be gone in a day or two. They rarely appear, could be another year until another one turns up, and I've waited long enough for one of these.

First thing I'll do is peel off those dumb note stickers, then get to work on the Harmonic Table.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by resistorman »

:clap: Nice! :clap:
resistorman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2679 Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:00 am Location: Asheville NC
"The Best" piece of gear is subjective.

Post by Martin Walker »

Well done Ben - all things come to those that wait eh? ;)
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Guest »

Nice one.

I have one of the 49 ones somewhere, I wonder where it is...

Post by BJG145 »

Intuitive Instruments, creators of the Dualo, have posted a video for a new hexagonal MPE keyboard that's currently in development. Hopefully see this on Kickstarter at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXQuLvs ... nstruments

BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Now available on Kickstarter...

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/du ... =user_menu

I think this is the first MPE hex-layout keyboard. I'm in. :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

It seems very good value at the early bird 229 Euros price, and I somehow doubt that you'll be flummoxed by the lack of casing on the controller.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by ManFromGlass »

So is there an advantage to this layout for playing scales or chords?
Or is it like any good instrument - you put in your time, you get results.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6645 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada