Isomorphism FTW

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Isomorphism FTW

Post by ManFromGlass »

I agree but the few alternate controllers I’ve tried always inspire me to play not in my usual way. Sometimes I need that.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster
Posts: 6665 Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am Location: O Canada

Post by BJG145 »

...yep, I like the way different interfaces (and that could be a MIDI violin or trumpet) make you take a different approach to playing music, and often offer up a whole new repertoire of standard pieces.

I agree that the demos for novel keyboards are usually dire, but I don't think that's because they're inherently bad, or that the standard keyboard is necessarily better (although it's clearly very good), just that few or no people have taken the time to develop the same expertise.

Some of them are destined for failure, but others have untapped potential. I'm still interested in the Dualo, and especially the discontinued "du-touch L". I think the thing is nicely designed, and capable of virtuosity rivalling the melodeon or concertina if anyone spent the time on it.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

Just my opinion, but I think one of my best recordings (again IMO) was done without any keyboards at all, the only interface I used was a computer mouse. Every one hears it and asks what keyboards were used, none.
It also taught me how to approach sounds in a different way, although the results still sound very "traditional" even though the sounds, are quite unusual.
Last edited by Arpangel on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

I finally found out how to add vibrato aftertouch on my Dualo. (The settings are rather obscure.) I'm enjoying this thing at the moment; it's a perfect commuter instrument.

(I used to feel unprepared if I didn't have a paperback on me; I hate being out and waiting for something when I've nothing to do. These days it's generally an instrument instead.)

I've just set the aftertouch to a subtle amount, but it makes a lot of difference to the feel of it when you're playing. I've recently been practising some folk tunes on the bus to work...here's a quick demo of "Fairy Dance" with the new vibrato effect on Ocarina.

Fairy Dance on Dualo Du-touch

(Excuse the unglamorous fingernails; I recently trapped my hand in the bathroom door. Ow.)
Last edited by BJG145 on Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by The Elf »

:shocked::shocked::shocked:

How does anyone learn to play like that?!?!?

:clap::clap::clap:

Impressed, annoyed, and rather envious!
Last edited by The Elf on Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by ManFromGlass »

Very cool. My first thought for fingering was button accordion. Is it your custom fingering setup? It looks very natural feeling.
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

BJG145 wrote:Here's a new one - the Lumatone, launched at NAMM 2020. It looks a little like the Rainboard at the top of the thread, with a harmonic table layout and illuminated keys.

Much intrigued. There are a number of keyboard layouts for both accordion and concertina that would be easy to implement on a keyboard like this. The one that immediately comes to mind is the Hayden. This is the layout of the notes on a Hayden concertina.

If you can create your own keyboard layout as they say you can then it should be easy to set up something like this.

CC

PS I've come late to this discussion so bear with me if this is what you've all been talking about already :)
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12929 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by The Elf »

The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Martin Walker »

BJG145 wrote:I finally found out how to add vibrato aftertouch on my Dualo.

I've recently been practising some folk tunes on the bus to work...here's a quick demo of "Fairy Dance" with the new vibrato effect on Ocarina.

Fairy Dance on Dualo Du-touch

Beautifully played BJG! That aftertouch adds a lot to your performance :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by ManFromGlass »

Mr Elf - that is the freakiest picture I’ve ever seen! :thumbup:

I mentioned about the Kickstarters I had participated in. The latest email from the recorder people said there will be delays due to moving assembly to Italy from China. The Roli product has been delayed due to ironing out a few kinks with the software. (More bugs I assume) Of the five products Ive supported over the years only one has delivered so far.

I’m seeing a bit of a pattern here with this crowdfunding process. . . . . .
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

ManFromGlass wrote:Is it your custom fingering setup?

One of the early designers behind the Dualo was a mathematician/musician called Jules Hotrique. It has several different layouts, and I think he came up with these. (The one I like is called "Universal".)

I’m seeing a bit of a pattern here with this crowdfunding process.

Yes, it can be a bit hit and miss. I think the original Dualo came unstuck when they tried to launch a full-size version on Kickstarter and then couldn't deliver. It's a pity, because I think it's a great design, and I admire the work that's gone into it.

I got hold of an early full-size version which I occasionally pull out from a cupboard and gloat over, but I mainly play the mini one which is still in production.

There seems to be a kind of legendary instrument called the Thummer which didn't get beyond prototype, and I guess it takes inspiration from that.

(It was intended to use the Wicki-Hayden system that CC mentions.)
Last edited by BJG145 on Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 12 times in total.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

I'd forgotten about the Thummer! Thanks for the reminder. Incidentally I knew Brian Hayden, a great bear of a man, a sort of concertina-playing Patrick Moore.

CC
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by ManFromGlass »

How the heck do you know the correct position to put your hands in order to play the notes you want? I’ve wondered that about the left hand of accordion too. Even on the guitar neck I’ve marveled at those who don’t look at the neck and can whip up and down. Practice I’m sure, but still there must be a "base" position?
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

I know on the accordion left hand certain buttons are marked in some way that can be felt (a dimple or engraved cross-hatching or that sort of thing) and you locate your fingering with reference to those buttons. With Hayden concertinas as with other concertinas the wrist straps (actually more back-of-the-hand straps) hold your hand in the right position to start with. Dunno about any of the other keyboards shown here. I guess it's done visually, hence all the colour schemes.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by ConcertinaChap »

BJG145 wrote:Here's a new one - the Lumatone, launched at NAMM 2020. It looks a little like the Rainboard at the top of the thread, with a harmonic table layout and illuminated keys.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/luma ... oming_soon

Well that link didn't last too long :(.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by ManFromGlass »

One has to move fast to get something these days! :mrgreen:
ManFromGlass
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

ConcertinaChap wrote:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/luma ... oming_soon

Well that link didn't last too long :(

...strange...

https://www.lumatone.io/
Last edited by BJG145 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by BJG145 »

Coming soon on Kickstarter...the Striso.

https://www.striso.org/

The board looks nice, but I love the early box prototypes...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXI6N541oeM
Last edited by BJG145 on Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by pierstitus »

The Striso board is now on kickstarter! And I, the creator, now also on this forum. I'll also make a separate post in news.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/st ... iso-board/
pierstitus
Posts: 3 Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:12 pm Location: Netherlands

Post by BJG145 »

Striso has done really well...£20K pledged of £22K goal so far, and 8 days to go. Hopefully it'll get there; will be interested to see how it develops.
Last edited by BJG145 on Fri May 22, 2020 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJG145
Longtime Poster