The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The All-New Behringer Keyboards 'n' Stuff Thread

Post by The Elf »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Gordon Reid's review of the DD claimed that the raw waveforms were pretty much identical and the sound was pretty much identical as a result. Yes, there were some differences such as in the PWM range and the relative levels of different waveforms, but nothing that couldn't be tweaked in a new design given the will and attention to detail.

It won't matter anyway. There are loads of 'experts' out there who will tell you it sounds nothing ('night and day') like the original! :headbang::lol:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20017 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Johnsy »

Folderol wrote:For anyone interested in the details of this quite fascinating chip look here:
https://electricdruid.net/cem3340-vco-v ... r-designs/

Excellent link. :thumbup:
Johnsy
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

Indeed - Curtis chips get a bit of a bad press at times, yet they still (deservedly) have plenty of enthusiastic followers.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20625 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by DGL. »

Some updates,
RD-9 is shipping from the factory and they have confirmed that it contains their new BA662 clone chip, the only recreation of the BA662 available,, there are others but they are not a clone of the actual silicone but a clone made out of a few SMD components on a little board.

More interesting though is the announcement that within the next 30 days they are to announce TWO new synths that not only have they not teased us about but that will be ready to ship from their factory the moment they are announced!
No tease and years of waiting for these two new synths :thumbup:
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Arpangel »

DGL. wrote:but that will be ready to ship from their factory the moment they are announced!

At eighteen quid postage, from Sweden.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by t-sun »

If they haven't been teasing them, I assume that they're not clones but something more like the Crave or the Neutron.
t-sun
Regular

Post by Terrible.dee »

Zukan wrote:Behringer/Music Tribe’s application to trademark the “Behringer Oberheim” name has been rejected, according to US Patent Office (USPTO).

Look into Mr Behringer's past....NUMEROUS lawsuits for stealing designs. He's made a career of it.

He has his own "City" in China where this stuff is made....seriously......I wonder what the conditions are like for the workers?

He tried to sue a poster on Gearslutz. He had the Chinese government muzzle a reviewer who had the nerve to call his products "clones" He recently bullied the inventor of the 303 "devil fish" mod for his intellectual property.

If you look on the "employee review" website, "Glassceling.com" you'll read his former employees describe him as a sociopath.

At a certain point, the issue is no longer...."Does this sound like the original?", "Is this a good deal?"

The issue is whether I am going to support evil or not.

Beringer can clone any synth they want......I do NOT support evil, so I wont be buying ANY of them.
Terrible.dee
Regular

Post by Arpangel »

Terrible.dee wrote:
Beringer can clone any synth they want......I do NOT support evil, so I wont be buying ANY of them.

All it takes is for good men to do nothing etc….
But, his stuff is very tempting though, I like the idea of being able to put together an ARP 2500 for about £500, but it’s not an ARP 2500, and it’s not worth much on the secondhand market should I decide to re-sell one day, if I could afford to, and I bought an original, it would be worth way more than I paid for it in five years time, these things are important, if you’re investing that type of money.
Other people will think differently, and it’s not clear cut, I have Behringer monitors, and a compressor, that’s it, I bought them when I had little money, and I still have them, they are good and do the job, sometimes it’s difficult to resist. But I "needed" monitors and a compressor, I don’t "need" a synth clone that desperately, in a way, unrealistically, I’d rather not have it unless I can afford an original, and for some thats just not an option, but they still want it, enter Behringer
Last edited by Arpangel on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Terrible.dee wrote:I do NOT support evil, so I wont be buying ANY of them.

You are not alone in this viewpoint, as a search through the entirety of this thread, and others on the site, will attest.

Of course, others take a different view, and they are entitled to form their own opinions.

And while your examples of questionable practices are well known, they aren't the complete story, or necessarily reflective of the current situation.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38957 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by DGL. »

Plus we seem to forget that Dave Smith screwed over E-MU back in teh day but no-one seems to bring that up, and that the original prophet 5 was not really that much of a sequential instrument (the analogue side and keyboard scanning was E-MU's work) yet they are still living on that legacy with the new models.

But in other news they are currently teasing something called BRAINS, to be revealed on Tuesday (15th) .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w24_pBvgwh4

not quite sure what it could be, possibly an MPC clone?
DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1962 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by BJG145 »

Terrible.dee wrote:He has his own "City" in China where this stuff is made....seriously......I wonder what the conditions are like for the workers?

Wow, so he does. MusicTribe City, Zhongshan. Three million square feet of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08yTRb69AVw

Google Maps

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2018/03/mu ... inger.html

DGL. wrote:Plus we seem to forget that Dave Smith screwed over E-MU back in teh day but no-one seems to bring that up

(What's the story there...? I can't find anything on it.)
Last edited by BJG145 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Arpangel »

The trouble here, is Uli about to threaten the whole existence of civilisation as we know it using cheap music technology? That’s a very scary thought, and I would never have thought about that,will he go down as an Anti-Christ, or a Mahatma Gandhi?
In some peoples eyes he’s an evil sociopath, and in others he’s a very resourceful entrepreneur who’s spotted and filled a gap in the market, and he’s to be applauded.
Also, his net worth? he's positively on the breadline compared to other successful businessmen, of any significant worth.
I’ve got his monitors, and a compressor, am I beyond redemption?

:)
Last edited by Arpangel on Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by FrankF »

Arpangel wrote: I’ve got his monitors, and a compressor, am I beyond redemption?

Not quite, but I do think that, for the good of your soul, you should give them back.
FrankF
Regular
Posts: 451 Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2002 12:00 am Location: La Vendée, France

Post by Arpangel »

FrankF wrote:
Arpangel wrote: I’ve got his monitors, and a compressor, am I beyond redemption?

Not quite, but I do think that, for the good of your soul, you should give them back.

That’s fine, but what are the best monitors for under three hundred quid.

:D:D:D
Last edited by Arpangel on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Arpangel wrote:
FrankF wrote:

Adam T5V.
Next!
;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24551 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Arpangel »

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
FrankF wrote:

Adam T5V.
Next!
;)

I’ve just checked those out, unbalanced input too? that could be useful.
I like my Behringers though, and what’s more they aren’t broken, if they were, or when they do, I’ll be in the market for something else. I can’t just get rid of them now, and this is the crunch, I may not like what I replace them with, I’ve got used to these, and I actually like them now.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20017 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

As Mr F said recently... meh! ;)

Not my cup of tea... Now a DS80 would be far more likely to get me fizzing in my special place...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38957 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Arpangel »

The Elf wrote:Brains...
https://youtu.be/U59OzyB6lBM

This is getting crazy, it’s just a rip-off of Braids, but at least, that’s not made anymore!
What next?

:crazy:
Last edited by Arpangel on Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Terrible.dee »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Terrible.dee wrote:I do NOT support evil, so I wont be buying ANY of them.

You are not alone in this viewpoint, as a search through the entirety of this thread, and others on the site, will attest.

Of course, others take a different view, and they are entitled to form their own opinions.

And while your examples of questionable practices are well known, they aren't the complete story, or necessarily reflective of the current situation.

I think this is a complete representation of the situation we find ourselves in.

Uli's track record is in indisputable. Its gone on for DECADES.

There's no way someone who has racked up this many I.P theft lawsuits. Acted like a totalitarian dictator would...and has been called a "sociopath" across the board, by those who have worked with him is just a victim of "haterz"

The guy is who he is, and he makes no secret of it......I suppose I can at least respect that.

But he puts me in the position of having to decide who I AM.

Am I a slavering sycophant, who is ready to sell his soul for the a loose approximation of a vintage synth? Am I, at my core, nothing but a "Consumer" ready to jump at anything so long as it temporarily satiates my desire to "consume"

No.....I am not. Synths do not take priority over my God installed values.

I Chose to do what is clearly right. We have a God-Given sense of what that is. Through I-phones, tablets, and TV before that have done their best to mute our connection to that.

That's my decision.

Everyone else will have to decide what sort of person they want to be.
Terrible.dee
Regular