Polysix Rebuild

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Polysix Rebuild

Post by Folderol »

I pretty much thought that was the case, but had half a hope I might have been looking in the wrong place.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by BJG145 »

How's the jigsaw? I found one of these; untested, but can pop it in an envelope if you want to try it.

BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by nickle15 »

BJG145 wrote:How's the jigsaw? I found one of these; untested, but can pop it in an envelope if you want to try it.

That's very generous of you! Right now we're still stuck looking for a transformer. Not much else we can do until we solve that.

I would be very happy to try out the chip but would also like to pay you a fair price for it. Also, I'm in the US (not sure where you're at) so shipping might be an adventure! :D

PM is welcome if you want to continue the conversation. Thanks for checking in!
nickle15
Regular

Post by ajay_m »

Assuming this is a standard linear power supply with a normal E-I laminated core transformer then there are plenty of options. You need to know the secondary voltage or voltages and the VA rating eg 50VA or whatever and then you can probably get an off the shelf replacement. Quite a lot of transformer manufacturers can also make custom voltages. Another option is to find an external PSU with the right DC voltage and just wire that in instead. Since you're rebuilding the case anyway it doesn't much matter if you do that instead.
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by BJG145 »

nickle15 wrote:Right now we're still stuck looking for a transformer. Not much else we can do until we solve that.

There's one on eBay currently; they might accept an offer.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by jjlonbass »

If you can't find an original transformer, my best guess from looking at the service manual would be that one with 15V-0-15V secondary rated at 30VA or above should do the job; 50VA would be better if it will fit. This is based on the fact that the stated mains power consumption is 25W and that the highest voltage regulated DC rails at the output of the power supply are +15V and -15V. The unregulated outputs from the bridge rectifier and smoothing capacitors will be around +21V and -21V in this case.

You'll need to perform the power supply voltage adjustment procedures after replacing the transformer - I'd recommend doing this even if you fit an original replacement.

Using an external DC supply to replace the missing transformer won't be feasible.

John
jjlonbass
Regular
Posts: 107 Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:52 pm Location: Ware, Hertfordshire UK

Post by nickle15 »

BJG145 wrote:
nickle15 wrote:Right now we're still stuck looking for a transformer. Not much else we can do until we solve that.

There's one on eBay currently; they might accept an offer.

Thanks - I tried a couple of weeks ago but they rejected what I was willing to pay.
nickle15
Regular

Post by ajay_m »

Looks very much like a standard 15-0-15 VAC transformer (sometimes referred to as 30V CT) and it is probably 30VA or so and the full power supply schematic and service manual appears to be at the link below. The fuses are rated 1A so that would confirm that a 30VA unit ought to be about right. The original transformer may have had 115V and 230V primary windings but you do not require them both, obviously, you just want a unit suitable for whatever your mains voltage is (sorry, not sure if you are in the US or not).

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/ ... iserv.html

A transformer that size ought to cost about £20 or thereabouts and is a stock voltage.
ajay_m
Frequent Poster

Post by nickle15 »

ajay_m wrote:Looks very much like a standard 15-0-15 VAC transformer (sometimes referred to as 30V CT) and it is probably 30VA or so and the full power supply schematic and service manual appears to be at the link below. The fuses are rated 1A so that would confirm that a 30VA unit ought to be about right. The original transformer may have had 115V and 230V primary windings but you do not require them both, obviously, you just want a unit suitable for whatever your mains voltage is (sorry, not sure if you are in the US or not).

http://www.oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/synth/ ... iserv.html

A transformer that size ought to cost about £20 or thereabouts and is a stock voltage.

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it.
nickle15
Regular

Post by nickle15 »

Hey all. Sorry it's been a while. I just got the Polysix home this past weekend and it's up and running. Here's a quick video I made if you're interested. Thanks again for all the help!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWxbIO4tK4Q
nickle15
Regular

Post by BJG145 »

Fantastic! Glad you got this beauty working again. :thumbup:
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by nickle15 »

Thanks for everything!!
nickle15
Regular

Post by Martin Walker »

Ooh, that really does have a distinctive sound - bravo with the renovation :clap:
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by nickle15 »

Martin Walker wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:53 pm Ooh, that really does have a distinctive sound - bravo with the renovation :clap:

Thanks, Martin!
nickle15
Regular

Post by Folderol »

Looking and sounding very good. Well done.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by nickle15 »

Folderol wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:51 am Looking and sounding very good. Well done.

Thanks!!
nickle15
Regular

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Well done, it's great to see something classic brought back to life! :clap::clap::clap:

Bonus points for having a Trinity in the room too ;)
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8844 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by The Elf »

:clap::clap::clap:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20043 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by nickle15 »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 4:40 pm Well done, it's great to see something classic brought back to life! :clap::clap::clap:

Bonus points for having a Trinity in the room too ;)

Thanks Eddy - you probably don't remember but you sent me the factory sysex for that Trinity. That's a machine I'll never be without!
nickle15
Regular