Any synth that really sounds different

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Any synth that really sounds different

Post by The Elf »

Arpangel wrote:The MicroMonsta only goes a long way in confirming what the OP is saying here, very underwhelming, very conventional, with loads of effects, and the usual Techno sounds

It costs 240 quid, velcros to the side of a keyboard stand and will be powered by its USB port. MPE-compatible too (my main interest in this device). If that's 'underwhelming' I'll take it!

And nope, there aren't loads of effects - just delay and reverb. Though I can't see why effects are a problem. Better that than having to drag more boxes to a gig.

If it sounds boring then that says more about the person playing it than the device. The last time I looked the electric guitar was still pretty much the same machine, but some people seem to get exciting things out of it.

I don't do techno. What you're hearing are presets. You have to look past presets - which is where I came in...

I'm taking a chance on this one. I doubt I'll lose money if I decide it's not for me.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20035 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Arpangel »

I think we all need to take a step back, and approach this from a different angle.
We need to step back, and see these "instruments"for what they really are, see the big picture, not the view from inside a very narrow "worldly" technical perspective, it’s like a little prison.
Taking on board a new instrument, is like making a life long friend, potentially, we can’t do it lightly, instruments are powerful magic, and in the wrong hands can bring bad Karma, frustration, and ultimately waste our time, and our lives.
That’s how important an instrument is, they aren’t toys, or a slight diversion.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Arpangel wrote:I think we all need to take a step back, and approach this from a different angle.
We need to step back, and see these "instruments"for what they really are ...

We don't really need to do anything. You might, but everyone has their own relationship with their instruments and most will not align with yours ;)
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8844 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Arpangel »

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I think we all need to take a step back, and approach this from a different angle.

We don't really need to do anything. You might, but everyone has their own relationship with their instruments and most will not align with yours ;)

My memory, it’s getting bad, I’ll do it now.....

"In My Opinion"

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Arpangel wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote:

My memory, it’s getting bad, I’ll do it now.....

"In My Opinion"

:D

Maybe just add a disclaimer in your sig? ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24612 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Folderol »

If nothing else, this thread underlines just how different people's approach is.
Could have something to do with the fact people are different :tongue:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18202 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by The Elf »

Folderol wrote:Could have something to do with the fact people are different :tongue:

I'm not... ;):mrgreen:
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by N i g e l »

Manny Fernandez - From DX to MODX | Podcast
https://www.soundonsound.com/people/man ... dx-podcast

This is a great interview with a guy that gets the most out of his synths.

The link to his soundcloud page is worth exploring, some good sounds there.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3708 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by Folderol »

The Elf wrote:
Folderol wrote:Could have something to do with the fact people are different :tongue:

But if you're not, but even a few others are, that means you are as well. Alternatively...

How is it you and I have different synths? :lol::beamup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

Will, you need to watch Life of Brian :thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1915 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by The Elf »

The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Arpangel »

Folderol wrote:
The Elf wrote:

But if you're not, but even a few others are, that means you are as well. Alternatively...

How is it you and I have different synths? :lol::beamup:

We are all unique, just like everyone else.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by tea for two »

phil123456 wrote:Hi,

far from willing to be offensive, all synths reviews I watch gives me the feeling of a new package/branding, but the same sounds every time

I rarely heard a new /old synth really differentiate itself from the rest of the herd in term of sound it produces

anyone feels the same ?
are there some synth that really worth it ?

thanks for your advises

Phil

There is one synth perhaps the most different sounding unique, even though other synths may sound similar.

It is also the most analogue of synths.

There is plenty that can be done with this synth even though it has primarily a rather restricted range of sounds.

Just requires some processing some mangling some chopping up some sequencing.

Mostly it requires inventiveness.

It is also rather affordable.

Yep you and others guessed it : our voice.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by RonanMcDermott »

What sounds do you want to make that cannot be made by one or other of the gazillion hardware or software synths already in existence?
Answer that question, and this discussion can evolve.
RonanMcDermott
New here
Posts: 8 Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:55 pm Location: Kyiv, Ukraine

Post by Arpangel »

RonanMcDermott wrote:What sounds do you want to make that cannot be made by one or other of the gazillion hardware or software synths already in existence?
Answer that question, and this discussion can evolve.

I think like a lot of us, sometimes, we don’t have a sound in our heads, we go looking, and want to be surprised, the equipment is very much like exploring a giant abandoned house, with lots of rooms, full of lovely surprises, or nasty horrors, depending on our tastes.
We look to the equipment to provide the answer.
Not all of the time, sometimes we know what we want, but if you’re looking to discover a grand old eighteenth century ballroom covered in gold leaf, it’s no use exploring a two bedroom bungalow.
However, that grand old ballroom covered in gold leaf will sound different according to who’s imagining it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Guest »

I can think of a few synths that sound pretty different:

The VSynth can sound unlike any other synth, alongside the other Roland VariPhrase stuff.

Kyma - if we can count that - can make very unique sounds.

EaganMatrix based Haken gear also sounds pretty unique.

Post by Arpangel »

[ACCOUNT DELETED] wrote:I can think of a few synths that sound pretty different:

The VSynth can sound unlike any other synth, alongside the other Roland VariPhrase stuff.

Kyma - if we can count that - can make very unique sounds.

EaganMatrix based Haken gear also sounds pretty unique.

If we’re including VSTi's, there’s a lot of very unusual and interesting ones, Guagear, Animoog (possibly the best VSTi IMO) in recent years, Carbon 2, TC11, all really unique, amazing sounding things.
I’ve got Animoog wired into GarageBand on my i Pad, in fact, sometimes, I look at my hardware studio and think why am I bothering?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by whitesun »

90% of synth sound is made by reverb after it. Raw synths' sounds are ugly. Try other reverbs, some very old ones and very imperfect ones.
Another thing is that hw synths all have separate vibrato of pitch of oscillators for each note which has not been usually implemented in software ones, perhaps for marketing reasons.
Try old synoptic probe from 2000. It's builtin reverb makes wonders. Find on youtube. It sounds very different. Maybe there had been crisis in minds of programmers during 2005-2018. In 2018 they at once started implementing that vibrato thing and for good.
Thirdly, hw synths' waveforms are never perfect, they have rounded corners and that rounding variates ie chaning timbres all the time - this refers to point 2 partly.
whitesun
Poster

Post by Folderol »

whitesun wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:05 pm 90% of synth sound is made by reverb after it. Raw synths' sounds are ugly. Try other reverbs, some very old ones and very imperfect ones.
Another thing is that hw synths all have separate vibrato of pitch of oscillators for each note which has not been usually implemented in software ones, perhaps for marketing reasons.
Try old synoptic probe from 2000. It's builtin reverb makes wonders. Find on youtube. It sounds very different. Maybe there had been crisis in minds of programmers during 2005-2018. In 2018 they at once started implementing that vibrato thing and for good.
Thirdly, hw synths' waveforms are never perfect, they have rounded corners and that rounding variates ie chaning timbres all the time - this refers to point 2 partly.

I respectfully disagree :shifty:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by BJG145 »

(Just to note that the thread is three years old.)
BJG145
Longtime Poster