Audiothingies Micromonsta 2

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Audiothingies Micromonsta 2

Post by Ben Asaro »

That sounds great, thanks for the top down overview!

I had a similar setup using Main Stage, except I was using the BSP to launch samples from Main Stage. The setup time for me was getting incredibly long, however, bc I play guitar and synth live, and setting up two rigs took too long; ie, it was cutting into set time.

So, just to clarify: you don't have the Deluge as part of your live rig? Cantabile is handling sequencing duties?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1691 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:00 am Location: NYC

Post by The Elf »

Ben Asaro wrote:I had a similar setup using Main Stage, except I was using the BSP to launch samples from Main Stage. The setup time for me was getting incredibly long, however, bc I play guitar and synth live, and setting up two rigs took too long; ie, it was cutting into set time.

Our guitarist uses Cantabile also - and a Helix. The Helix is his audio interface and controller for Cantabile. He's up and running from flight-case to sound-check in 5 minutes. Again, everything is pre-programmed in Cantabile and his Cantabile takes its cues from mine via a MIDI link. All he has to do is play the right notes occasionally! ;):D

Ben Asaro wrote:So, just to clarify: you don't have the Deluge as part of your live rig? Cantabile is handling sequencing duties?

I don't use Deluge live - it's way too fiddly and idiosyncratic to even consider it. It's an incredible piece of kit, and very useful in the right circumstances, but easy it most definitely is not.

Cantabile handles absolutely everything: backing tracks, performance notes, opening the stage mic between songs, sending cue warnings for those 'where do I come in?' moments... it carries all the technical weight - we just play the notes! Cantabile also multi-track records the whole gig, including audience mic's.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17012 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Ben Asaro »

Cool, many thanks!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by BobTheDog »

So Parcelforce Worldwide have my parcel, 11-17 days to deliver from France!

I can only guess that they have strapped it to the back of a tortoise.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster
Signature block of the week.

Post by Martin Walker »

BobTheDog wrote:So Parcelforce Worldwide have my parcel, 11-17 days to deliver from France!

I can only guess that they have strapped it to the back of a tortoise.

It's strange - I've bought CDs from all over Europe, but the ones from France always seem to take twice as long to arrive in the UK than those from Russia, Italy, Germany...

The only ones that take longer are those from the US, but that's expected.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 18023 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by BobTheDog »

I'm watching with interest to see how long is taken up with the Brexit/Duty/VAT/Handling charge shenanigans.

I buy some Electronic components from the USA, all charges pre-paid and can get stuff in 3 days, around the same time as pre-paid stuff from Mouser in Europe.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Post by BobTheDog »

Well believe it or not the Micromonsta just arrived, no duty, no VAT and no handling charge.

It sneaked its way through the border.

First impressions, very small and seems very well made, encoders and pots seem very good and solid.

LCD screen is awful though when viewed from an angle, the contrast setting just takes it from bad to invisible. I would have happily payed extra for an OLED.

Just messed around with a few presets and tested the MPE which is spot on, no issues with mono patches or playing the same notes twice, everything works exactly as it should. The first hardware MPE synth that I have that actually works with MPE correctly.

Won't comment on the sound yet as I haven't had much time to get to grips with it...
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Excellent news!

Re the display - perhaps have a think about angling the unit on some sort of small ramp/laptop stand, so it's both easier to use and easier to view the display (I have this problem with my Novation 25SL MkII keyboard controller - you can only read its display when you are directly over the top of it).

Martin
Martin Walker

Post by Ben Asaro »

Martin Walker wrote:Excellent news!

Re the display - perhaps have a think about angling the unit on some sort of small ramp/laptop stand, so it's both easier to use and easier to view the display (I have this problem with my Novation 25SL MkII keyboard controller - you can only read its display when you are directly over the top of it).

Martin

Tablet/phone stands are perfect for propping up small synths and pedals and Amazon typically has them for cheap!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by blinddrew »

You can also buy small, angled prisms for this purpose.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15894 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Post by Ben Asaro »

blinddrew wrote:You can also buy small, angled prisms for this purpose.

Functional and will align Charkra energies at the same time! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by BobTheDog »

Or you can spend hours in Blender swearing and scratching your head and then hours 3d printings something that is 95% there (3 mm out from a snug fit):

BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Bravo BobTheDog - very smart indeed! :clap:8-):thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Post by BobTheDog »

Thanks. Already started working on version 2, hours of work to do where a wedge of foam cut with a bread knife would do the job just as well.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Post by The Elf »

BobTheDog wrote:Thanks. Already started working on version 2, hours of work to do where a wedge of foam cut with a bread knife would do the job just as well.

Ooh! I'd happily pay you to rustle a couple of these up for me? PM me if this appeals.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17012 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.