Peter Zinovieff on the Syntrx.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Peter Zinovieff on the Syntrx.

Post by Arpangel »

Very interesting, what he thinks, and little glimpses of his studio, love the way he’s just shoved it in a draw of his desk! that’s style.
My god, doesn’t he look old? but that’s maybe, that’s because he is, as a friend says about me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UU8RQacvl0
Last edited by Arpangel on Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Peter Zinovieff on the Syntrx.

Post by Andy Cobley »

Thanks for that, really wish I could afford one !

andy
Andy Cobley
Regular
Posts: 122 Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Fife, Scotland

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

He's a cool dude!!
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2564 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by Arpangel »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:He's a cool dude!!

Yes, he is, the synth world would be a different place without him.
I’m not sure about this Syntrx, now Behringer have their VCS3 clone, it’s a difficult one, sort of different machines, but similar sound territory, and a vast price difference.
Last edited by Arpangel on Fri May 14, 2021 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Chevytraveller »

It does look like a fabulous little box...
I must say though I was quite put off by the apparent internal calibration..

Tim Shoebridge does a good demonstration of how easily the filter is overdriven and thus completely changes in character..

I don't mind having the ability to over drive a filter, but for it to start overdriving so early in the scale suggests either a worrying lack of headroom or something quite "off" in the calibration... I would only expect(or want) overdrive to come in past about 50% of the available gain, not 10%.. :headbang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0fziMi_lpQ&t=653s

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by Arpangel »

Chevytraveller wrote:It does look like a fabulous little box...
I must say though I was quite put off by the apparent internal calibration..

Tim Shoebridge does a good demonstration of how easily the filter is overdriven and thus completely changes in character..

I don't mind having the ability to over drive a filter, but for it to start overdriving so early in the scale suggests either a worrying lack of headroom or something quite "off" in the calibration... I would only expect(or want) overdrive to come in past about 50% of the available gain, not 10%.. :headbang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0fziMi_lpQ&t=653s

:bouncy:

You beat me to it, I saw that Tim Shoebridge video too, this synth has too many oroblems to make it a viable purchase for me, I know of a couple of people who have had build issues too, and have ended up sending it back. I think it’s the same synth just being passed around! :)
It doesn’t tick any boxes for me really, it’s EMS Synthi architecture, but not the physical format, it’s badly calibrated and has build quality problems. I can’t accept it just for what it is, that electronic matrix isn’t a selling point, given the negative issues.
I’ll wait and see how the Behringer VCS3 pans out, dodgy VU meter pending.

:)
Last edited by Arpangel on Wed May 19, 2021 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster