Replacement display for an Elka MK76

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Replacement display for an Elka MK76

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

FFS.... tame experienced tech, proper parts. Job done. Please don't skip a perfectly serviceable and mendable bit of kit.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by The Elf »

Well it's more than my time is worth. If anyone wants it let me know. Everything I removed is inside the case.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

But it's a Poly AT board! If I was on the same island I would drive to you to collect it. I'm sure someone will.

Pity you didn't wait a little bit longer, posted pics of the innards etc. we could've helped :( I've done a few displays so I could help. My Akai MX-1000 has an iPhone 6+ backlight in it (common thing people are doing with Akais of that era) the Casio FZ-1 has something similar, and I'm just doing a Quadraverb now.

Replicating the wiring is easy- use a smartphone and make a video as you remove it. Displays with backlights come in two kinds- displays where the backlight is glued/ manufactured in (so it breaks as you discovered) and displays where they are not :D
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by The Elf »

I'm still licking my wounds right now. In a few days I may bring myself to take it to the local repair shop, but at the moment I'm utterly p£$%ed off with it.

It was only 80 quid, so no complaints in that respect. It's done me fine for a while, but to throw any more time and money at it? Hmmm... Not convinced.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Tomás Mulcahy »

I know the feeling!! I had a few issues with the MX-1000, it was sitting on my bench for 6 months. But it was more annoying not having a decent weighted keyboard so I got there in the end. It's a beautiful bit of design, sleek curved aluminium case. And it's a rather neat MIDI controller. The 4 sliders work great for the 4 macros in Arturia.

This should be straightforward for any tech who works on hifis or phones or computers.

On a related note, I was not a fan of poly AT when I tried it on a GEM Equinoxe. But I am really starting to love the ROLI Seaboard Rise 49. Obviously this board is worth it to you, as a Poly AT controller. Put it away for a while :)
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2552 Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:00 am Location: Cork, Ireland.

Post by The Elf »

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:On a related note, I was not a fan of poly AT when I tried it on a GEM Equinoxe. But I am really starting to love the ROLI Seaboard Rise 49. Obviously this board is worth it to you, as a AT controller. Put it away for a while :)

Poly aftertouch is addictive - once you 'get' it, you don't want to be without it. In my case I have the Hydrasynth - easily the best feeling aftertouch in my studio - and a Roli Seaboard 25.

I'd love a Roli Seaboard 49. I've had two, both of which arrived faulty from new. If I could find a fully functional secondhand one I'd leap on it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

Shame, but put it to one side rather than skip it. Prob a easy fix for somebody with more experience!

Incidentally, you may remember my issue with Poly AT on my MK88. Well, as it’s working fine other than that I just left it but decided to open it up and have a look a few weeks back as I’m convinced it’s just a loose wire.....Anyway, couldn’t figure out how to open it up so gave up!
How did you do it?
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by The Elf »

:lol: I'm glad it's not just me!

Look on the outside ends of the case - three screws on one side, two on the other. Then there's one more middle back. Remove these, then ease up the main panel.

I was scratching my head for a long time on that one!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

Great - thanks! If it’s visible I’ll take a pic of how the display should look!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 700 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by Folderol »

It's quite common for this type of display for the connections to be made to the actually screen itself via conductive rubber (the current is microamps, it's the voltage that twists the pixels). Unfortunately the positioning has to be absolutely perfect :(

On a number of occasions I've found the best way to get a 'replacement' backlight, is to find a transparent edge, and line up a strip of LEDs to it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by James Perrett »

Folderol wrote: On a number of occasions I've found the best way to get a 'replacement' backlight, is to find a transparent edge, and line up a strip of LEDs to it.

I think that's how the modern LED backlights work anyway - whereas the old ones had a fluorescent layer. There's a Facebook group dedicated to replacing displays on music gear - reading all the posts it seems that most of the time a standard display drops almost straight in.

However, I have a piano module that I've been trying to fix for someone for a while that needs a very narrow 2 line display and I've not found anything that will physically fit.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by The Elf »

Folderol wrote:It's quite common for this type of display for the connections to be made to the actually screen itself via conductive rubber (the current is microamps, it's the voltage that twists the pixels). Unfortunately the positioning has to be absolutely perfect :(

Yep, that's my guess. I think even if I could get a replacement light strip I'm dead in the water.
The Elf
Jedi Poster