Bastl Microgranny.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bastl Microgranny.

Post by Guest »

I have the opinion that the older you get the smaller printed text is.

Updates to my Kindle have also gradually made the text smaller, I used to use font size 2 and now I need 5.

Things used to be so much better.

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Arpangel wrote:First impressions... knob/button labels unreadable to me without a magnifying glass, Poor build quality, noisy, even though it’s low bit. Illogical workflow, no built in speaker, which would have been useful....

Most points being fairly obvious from the YT video you linked, surely? :headbang:
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by John Stafford »

What I love about the Grandmother name is that it doesn't sound like it was chosen by a marketing consultant.

"Any ideas for a name?"

"We've had Slim and Little Phatty. What could be phatter than that?"

"Yo Momma?"

"Don't they make cellos?"

"Let me think..."
John Stafford
Regular
Posts: 156 Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:51 am Location: Ireland

Post by Arpangel »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Arpangel wrote:First impressions... knob/button labels unreadable to me without a magnifying glass, Poor build quality, noisy, even though it’s low bit. Illogical workflow, no built in speaker, which would have been useful....

Most points being fairly obvious from the YT video you linked, surely? :headbang:

I think like I’m still twenty five, not the age I really am.
"It’ll all be fine, I can cope with that"

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

I’m making headway, I haven’t a clue what I’m doing yet, but good sounds are coming out, especially sampling my synths through my monitors with the built-in mic, it’s a question of when is too much dirt too much dirt? But it’s fulfilling my expectations, and doing the job I wanted, managing samples in this is like trying to keep a frog in your hand.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Phew! :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote:Phew! :thumbup:

Martin

Yes, phew.
You know how you can think something is going to be really great, but it isn’t, well, this is that.
I’m sorry to say I made a mistake getting this, it’s got nothing to do with the sound, it’s more than interesting, it’s the way it works, the file system especially, it’s just too much for my addled brain.
I may keep it, to mess about with, but honestly, it’s a chaotic process, I really don’t know how I’m getting what I’m getting, or where it’s coming from.
It’s a frustrating little thing, I need something just a bit more user friendly, a sampler with a better user interface, but with a similar sound.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

:(
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Arpangel »

Martin Walker wrote::(

I’m giving it more time Martin, I’ve got my Zoom effects unit on it, and I’ve wiped the internal memory of the MG, so it just has my samples in it, wherever they are!
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Life is too short to spend time putting square pegs into round holes. Shift the MG and move onto something you enjoy more! I have never been into sampling, probably never will be, I guess I enjoy boring bleeps and bloops more!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Drongoloid »

Arpangel wrote:First impressions, almost unusable for an old person with even vaguely defective eyesight, knob/button labels unreadable to me without a magnifying glass,
Poor build quality, noisy, even though it’s low bit.
Illogical workflow, no built in speaker, which would have been useful.

Good review. Bought one of these years ago and have never had the first idea about how it works or even to get it to do the same thing twice. Useful once in a while...but yes totally illogical. I did write to them once and got a very polite reply which made the whole process even less logical than it already was. Twiddle knobs get some 'sound'...'sound' never to be found again.
Drongoloid
Regular
Posts: 94 Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 12:00 am Location: P for Elterwater

Post by Arpangel »

Drongoloid wrote: Twiddle knobs get some 'sound'...'sound' never to be found again.

But that’s just it, sounds like modular, fifty years ago.
These days, I’m getting much more out of sounds I get from things that aren’t predictable, or that I understand, I’ve got pedals going into pedals, going out to something else, into the four track, out of the four track, the Microgranny, some fantastic low-fin sounds that are truly gut wrenching, but gone forever as soon as I switch it off.
But that’s OK, I’m liking it, I’ve got a folder on my computer called "compost" and I put these sounds in there for future use, and every time I audition one if these sounds, I haven’t a clue how I got it! ir what I used, all I know is that my music is benefiting, it’s still interesting to me, that’s the main thing.
The MG is no different to my modular, in concept, regarding repeatability, or predictability, and I never really know what I’m doing with my modular, it leads me, I don’t lead it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster