Discussion: putting together a single-synth Berlin School rig

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Discussion: putting together a single-synth Berlin School rig

Post by The Elf »

If you like the look of the XV then consider the Integra-7 too. It has all the XV expansion cards inside (you 'install' them virtually) and also a good smattering of Supernatural sounds too.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Ben Asaro »

Thanks, Elf! I'll look into that as well!

The primary functionality I need is Performance mode that will allow me to assign a separate patch to each MIDI channel for simultaneous sequencer playback.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2357 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by The Elf »

I'm also wondering about Yoshimi...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by YashN »

K2000 + MIDI Controller would do it for me.

If you have the latest version of the O.S. and Setup chips, there's also a step sequencer in there.

Internal effects are based on DIgitech DSP 256 and known to be a bit noisy. You can use the trick of changing internal levels of the effects (increase them) so that you can reduce the Wet/Dry mix.

Both the grainy Digitech and the K2000 itself can get you the vintage vibe, especially if you roll off quite a bit within V.A.S.T. There are combination effects too.

No one would edit while performing live (or maybe I'd do that): you would want to pre-program as much as possible and leave the live perf. to the MIDI mapped controls. The mapping for realtime controls with FUNs for instance can be amazing. There is some realtime control possible for the internal effects as well.

As for synthesis itself, it's extremely powerful, to the extent you could even do delay/echo purely in V.A.S.T. and not touch any internal or external effect at all (goodbye background noise)...

Lugging a K2000 is like lugging a roomful of synths or 'the history of synths' as K. put it once.
YashN
Regular
Posts: 61 Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:56 pm Location: North America

Post by Dave B »

Yash, have a wander through the threads here and you'll see that this forum has one or two - ok, quite a lot of - Kurzweil fans ... :D

What you are saying is completely correct, but Ben tends to travel on the subway with gear ( hey - dose whacky New Yoikers) so size and weight are quite important to him. Even I - hardened Kurz fan that I am - have to grudgingly admit that the JV suits his requirements better. If he didn't have the size and weight restriction, it would be K2000 all the way.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by YashN »

Dave B wrote:size and weight restriction

I am thoroughly tempted to unscrew the long metal bar in my K2500XS...

Now that thing is heavy.

You can't lug a K2500XS under one arm.

A K2000, you can.
YashN
Regular

Post by The Elf »

I'm kicking myself that I didn't also mention the Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2.

The only problem is that they are rare as fish socks and the world is currently awaiting a new batch to arrive.

It is the size of a small paper-back book, powers from USB, 3-oscillators, 16-voices, or dual 8-voice... Really amazing synth at an amazing price,
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by YashN »

Modal [Cobalt8, Argon8], Korg [Opsix, Modwave, Wavestate, Minilogue[XD]], etc...

Aren't we just spoilt for choice nowadays?
YashN
Regular

Post by Ben Asaro »

The Elf wrote:I'm kicking myself that I didn't also mention the Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2.

The only problem is that they are rare as fish socks and the world is currently awaiting a new batch to arrive.

It is the size of a small paper-back book, powers from USB, 3-oscillators, 16-voices, or dual 8-voice... Really amazing synth at an amazing price,

Does it play multiple parts, though? That's where the rubber meets the road for me, I need to have 3-4 sequences running at once on a single unit.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by YashN »

Big B's Deepmind 6 or 12D.
YashN
Regular

Post by The Elf »

Ben Asaro wrote:
The Elf wrote:I'm kicking myself that I didn't also mention the Audiothingies MicroMonsta 2.

Does it play multiple parts, though? That's where the rubber meets the road for me, I need to have 3-4 sequences running at once on a single unit.

It can play 2 parts in dual mode (2 x 8-voice synths) - buy 2 of 'em for 4 parts! ;)

Seriously, for the money and physical size it would be worth considering.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

The Elf wrote:
Ben Asaro wrote:

It can play 2 parts in dual mode (2 x 8-voice synths) - buy 2 of 'em for 4 parts! ;)

Seriously, for the money and physical size it would be worth considering.

I'm sure it is, but that starts the slippery slope of getting away from a single box solution.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster (Level2)