Discussion: putting together a single-synth Berlin School rig

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Discussion: putting together a single-synth Berlin School rig

Post by Ben Asaro »

I really have to hand it to Patch Base, they have made it incredibly easy to program the JV-1080!

When I was looking at how to use Rhythm sets, I figured I would have to settle for one of the preset patches, which is kind of a waste. But with Patch Base, I can make a custom set for every octave if I like, enabling a mix and match of trad/ethnic/orchestral percussion sounds.

Fantastic! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Post by Ben Asaro »

Made great progress yesterday! Setting up a bespoke Rhythm set was dead easy and I was able to get 12 of the 16 pads of the BSP assigned with drum sounds; I am leaving the other 4 pads available for any sounds I will need as I go along.

Since plucks and percussion are both suited to pads over keys, I will be setting up the BSP to handle 2x plucks and percussion duties; the KSP will be used for anything requiring polyphony or improvisational lead playing.

I finalized the setup by assigning Output 1 for anything that will use outboard delay and reverb and Output 2 for anything using onboard effects (mostly just a room reverb, or dry).

Now all I need is the MIDI merge box and I can get to work! :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

I know this is going to sound weird (and unscientific) but there is a definite difference in the feel of the clock (to me) using MIDI vs analogue sync ... kinda hard to describe, but there is a 'stiffness' to the MIDI clock that doesn't seem to be present when using the modular. It's not bad, just ... different. Different enough where I may sync the BSP and KSP via sync instead of MIDI, but I will have to experiment some more first.

I think in part it has to do with the way the clock starts. It feels like the MIDI clock is infinitesimally quicker from the moment I press Play to the start of the sequence.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Dave B »

It's interesting that you say that - midi is a serial protocol and, as such, often tends to be ever so slightly off the beat. CV/Gate is bang on for all channels - it's inherent in the design.

So, if you are right and it is the start, then that does kind of make sense as the midi clock timing could potentially be sent much faster than the 'ticks' for analogue syncing. It does depend on the clock speed.

But, once the sequence has started, I wouldn't expect much of a difference. I'd try both and record the results into a DAW and compare the results. But I'm sad like that ... :D
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by Ben Asaro »

LOL I'm not that overly concerned about it, and if it means avoiding another cable, I'm all for it. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Still waiting on the MIDI merger (slated to arrive today), but I was able to give the ‘saucer section’ a serious play last night. :D

On the PLUS SIDE, the BSP is a remarkable piece of kit. I’ve barely used mine since owning it; after I started using the modular more than MIDI synths for this kind of music, the SQ-1 and NerdSeq ended up in pride of place and the BSP was relegated to MIDI/CV conversion, and not even that once I got the MIDI <>CLK module from Erica Synths.

I never realized how powerful the BSP is for performance; being able to adjust the velocity, gate, and pitch of every step with the press of a button and turn of encoder makes it great for writing melodies in a similar fashion to the NerdSeq.

On the MINUS SIDE, the USB power connector is extremely fiddly, and I can see why it is a sore spot for many users. When using the BSP in anger, the USB will loosen up with little provocation and you will lose whatever is unsaved! It’s a royal pain when that happens!

My only design quibble with the BSP is the encoder caps themselves; the plastic seems to be breaking down and is getting all sticky/gummy and feel gross to the touch. I will have to replace them asap.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

MIDI merger arrived and it works perfect! Time to get to work! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

Further discussion of using this setup in anger can be found here, https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/view ... 23&t=78257
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster