Keyboard with Sequencer like Notator/Creator?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Keyboard with Sequencer like Notator/Creator?

Post by forumuser641699 »

Are there any workstation keyboards with a sequencer that operates like the old 90's Atari Notator/Creator where you have a pattern for each section: Pattern 1: Chorus, Pattern 2: Verse, etc?
forumuser641699
Regular

Re: Keyboard with Sequencer like Notator/Creator?

Post by Ben Asaro »

I cannot answer the workstation question, but just about any software-driven standalone step sequencer can operate that way (Circuit, Launch Pad, Beat/KeyStep Pro, Polyend Tracker, Deluge, etc).
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2364 Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:00 am Location: NYC

Unless I misunderstand, step sequencers are not the same thing.
Patterns in Notator/Creator can be any length.
I'm looking to sequence in a more traditional songwriting method rather than loop-based electronic music.

Do correct me if I'm wrong.
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by Ben Asaro »

You're not wrong, but not right, either.

Step sequencers, in their most basic form, are made to loop indefinitely and back in the day could do little else. Today's step sequencers can chain multiple parts of multiple lengths of 1 - 128 steps across multiple key centers, tempos and time signatures, polyrhythms, you name it. You can play prewritten chains and improvise over top of them and can interact with them in multiple ways.

And if you're particularly ambitious you can syncronise lighting and video effects as well.
Last edited by Ben Asaro on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Thanks for the explanation.
I think that's not at all what I am looking for.

I guess I'm just looking for a box I can switch on, and put down ideas quickly; Verse. Chorus, Solo, etc, old school!
forumuser641699
Regular

Post by BJG145 »

I expect there may be keyboards out there with a sequencer which works in the way you want. But you might not get too many suggestions because I doubt if most people here would even use the sequencer in their 'workstation' keyboards, let alone base a purchasing decision on it.

After Googling a list of keyboards based on the built-in sequencers I'm just glancing through this YouTube video describing the features available in the sequencer on the Fantom, but is this the kind of thing you'd want...? It feels like putting the cart before the horse.
BJG145
Longtime Poster

Post by Ben Asaro »

The Roland MC-500 will do that as well, you just need to find the 3.5" floppies!

This sounds like you might be more interested in doing MIDI recording with a DAW than actual sequencing?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I've used workstations for the last 30 years and for a lot of that time I used the onboard sequencers as my main composition tool. I still like using onboard sequencers for sketching out ideas and trying things out and I've done tracks using nothing but the onboard sequencer (sometimes driving a second synth as well), recorded direct to DAT or CD.

Examples here (Korg Trinity), here (Yamaha SY85) and here (Yamaha XS8), but when it comes to the final rendition of a piece there isn't anything that can get close to a DAW.

Onboard sequencers are by no means restricted to step sequencers either. The Yamaha SY85, Motif ES and Motif XS, the Korg Trinity, M3 and Kronos ... all of them provide realtime recording as well as pattern recording.

The Motif family offer a pattern-based mode also, whereby you can create your patterns and then chain them together to make a song, though that's not my favoured approach as I always preferred song/sequencer mode where you record live into the tracks.

Punch in and out are useful-ish, but I've always favoured recording to a separate track and then using cut 'n paste to assemble the final take, assuming it's necessary at all.
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8816 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by N i g e l »

Eddy Deegan wrote:...... I used the onboard sequencers as my main composition tool. I still like using onboard sequencers for sketching out ideas and trying things out ......

+1 :thumbup:
it beats staring at a computer screen.

Eddy Deegan wrote: but when it comes to the final rendition of a piece there isn't anything that can get close to a DAW.

+1 :thumbup:
keyboard , mouse & big screen - ideal for the detailed editing & polishing.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles