Synth Repair any good? Anyone used it before?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Synth Repair any good? Anyone used it before?

Post by Kolakube »

I like the fixed fee services and repairs idea. But anyone testify to there workmanship?

http://www.synthrestore.co.uk/repairs.htm
Kolakube
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1303 Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:00 am Location: Geordieland

Re: Synth Repair any good? Anyone used it before?

Post by Kolakube »

Anyone?

67 views no replies.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

You may have had lots of views as you say 'Synth Repair' in the title - which is James Walkers company - when you actually mean Synth Restore. I 'viewed' to endorse Synth Repair, who I and many other 'forumees' use and recommend, to find you actually meant Synth Restore who I've never dealt with...hence no comment. I suspect that may explain the numerous views...Plus lets face it, we're all nosey and not much happens on the Vintage thread these days!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 701 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by fatbenelton »

Oh, and I'd be wary of 'fixed price' - there's a caveat that this is for 'typical' stuff and that extra charges may apply. James isn't neccessarily expensive - an Sh101 and Waldorf Pulse repair and tweak each came in at under £80.........I suspect fixed price means they make extra profit on the simple stuff (and you pay more than you should) but still chrage extra when it gets tricky!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by Sam Inglis »

I've used Adrian at Synth Restore a couple of times. He's a friendly chap and seems to know his stuff. He serviced my JP8 prior to selling it and seemed to do a good job. He was unable to fix a broken Prophet T8, but I don't know whether anyone else would have been able to.
Sam Inglis

Post by Kolakube »

@ FB

Sorry, I didnt realise I wrote the wrong word in the tile. Ah well, explains alot.

Never get a reply from James Walker. I think he must be inundated. Ideally I need my gear back that month. Or is this unrealistic these days?

@ Sam, thanks. Synth techs are getting thin on the ground.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Inglis »

Indeed.

More recently I've used Andrew Jury, aka 'The Synth Prof' -- as mentioned in another thread -- and he was a pleasure to deal with.

http://www.synthprof.com/
Sam Inglis

Post by Kolakube »

Thanks Sam.

So either or really.

How I wish there was a place up here near Newcastle.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

That is indeed a shame, especially as the SynthFest took place in Newcastle on 12th March as part of the Maker Faire:

www.din.org.uk/din/node/369

Isn’t there anyone in the area experienced in synth repair?

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Kolakube »

Gutted I missed that synth show :-/

Being at one extreme of the country there isn't much of anything here really Martin.

Mind we have very low crime and no over population so you have to take that lack of enterprise and keep in inline with the positives.

I have looked for ages for a firm that deals in synth repair up here but nothing.

We did have a superb tech nearish in Cumbria but he packed in due to low pay I believe. If this was the case I cant blame him I suppose.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by kungfu_pete »

Hi there,

Thought I'd add my 2c. I have and am currently using all three of the above mentioned.

Adrian at synth restore is good but hes not running full time so can take a while.

James is repairing my P5 and its taking a long time, very busy man.

Andy(synthprof) has just serviced my 303 and is doing my 909, no prblems so far.

Also depends where you are based.

good luck
Pete

www.youtube.com/user/thedarkmechanics
kungfu_pete
New here

Post by Kolakube »

Hi Pete thanks.

It doesn't make a difference where im based as im based where there is no where to do anything other than post my gear to somewhere else. So if its London or Cornwall its still a trip to the post office to me.

James Walkers seems so busy he doesn't even reply to Emails. Its no good to me if he's the best synth tech in the universe if he takes 2 years with my gear (no offence if he ever reads this)
Supply and demand though is the first rule of business. If James is that stowed off get an apprentice or take someone on or loose business.

Thanks for sharing your experience of the other two. Appreciated. How I hate pointing a needle in the yellow pages type of situation, hence me asking here.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by Synthsuze »

I am also happy to endorse Andy the Synth Prof. On another thread I've already reported the first class service I got with three of my synths. On my recommendation a close friend has recently had their P5 in for an overhaul and midi-kit - he reports a very good job and even better, the board was delivered back in person, and tested thoroughly before Andy left. Not sure you can ask more than that. Got my 909 going in shortly and will report back. Actually, not sure I should be sharing this as you'll all pile in there and bung him up for months :lol:
Synthsuze

Post by Kolakube »

Hi there, welcome to the most friendly vintage gear forum on the net!

Actually, not sure I should be sharing this as you'll all pile in there and bung him up for months

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by fatbenelton »

How about Kent Spong who does all the RL Music restoration?

This link has some details:

http://www.rlmusic.co.uk/service_04.html

RL Music is putting the vintage stuff on ice so KSR will have a little more time..........
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Jonny

Post by Synthsuze »

Yeah, I'm only joshing, kolakube...hope you get it sorted.
Synthsuze

Post by Paradigm X »

Synthsuze wrote:I am also happy to endorse Andy the Synth Prof. On another thread I've already reported the first class service I got with three of my synths. On my recommendation a close friend has recently had their P5 in for an overhaul and midi-kit - he reports a very good job and even better, the board was delivered back in person, and tested thoroughly before Andy left. Not sure you can ask more than that. Got my 909 going in shortly and will report back. Actually, not sure I should be sharing this as you'll all pile in there and bung him up for months :lol:

My 909 is in there atm! Very impressed with contact he gives, regular email updates and photos too. Just waiting for some new tact switches to arrive. Throuoghly cleans it out (for free). not got it back yet but so far very impressed with the service.
Paradigm X
Regular

Post by steviox »

I can vouch for Adrian , nice guy...
and Kent Spong did a check up on a pro5, bouncy as new.
If RL are putting it on hold you might get a lookin.
steviox
New here

Post by Kolakube »

I am going to update this thread in detail when I get my juno back.

All I can say is if Andy the Synth Prof's skilled work is half as good as his customer service Ill never be looking anywhere else again. So far so very good.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Post by Paradigm X »

indeed, his customer service/communication is excellent (synthprofs).

Im getting my 909 on Saturday, being hand delivered by Andy!

Cant wait. Ive wanted one for years.

It apparently looks, sounds and smells (! - guy i bought it off was a smoker apparently!) like it came out of the factory. Will update when i get it.

Cheers

ben
Paradigm X
Regular