Aria Sinsonido preamp repair

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Aria Sinsonido preamp repair

Post by James Perrett »

One thought - does this bass have a stereo output (like Rickenbacker's used to)? I'm trying to work out why they would go to the expense of dual ganged pots. Could it be that one half of the circuit is connected to one pickup while the other half is connected to the other pickup? If so, does the tone control not work on both pickups?
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Yes, I wondered that too. It does appear to have a three-core output lead from the circuit board to the output socket.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38838 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Dr R »

It is described as having stereo microphones on the web site. The output voltage at the socket is very high compared to my active bass, as well, so it may possibly drive headphones.
I'll ask, and do some more experiments.

Rich
Dr R
Regular
Posts: 280 Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:00 am Location: Solihull, West Midlands, UK
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Post by ef37a »

Ah! "Headphones" that makes sense of the use of the LM386s.

And stereo, could be some weird phase anomaly going on?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16449 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Reading around, it does appear that it is intended to drive stereo headphones directly, but can also be used like a conventional electric bass to feed an amp.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38838 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Dr R »

Hi All,

Hugh is correct, the bass does indeed drive headphones directly - and really very loudly as well!
The two pickups are wired in stereo, left and right. There is no discernible stereo effect on headphones, it's not as if one pickup is closer to the E and one to the G and there is a spread across the image. However shorting one pickup clearly removes the signal from one channel. (I'll post a photograph of the very Heath-Robinson "test environment" later on :D )
Testing the pots more comprehensively:

A - Volume
  • R15= 1.004K
  • R13= 1.004k/5.9ohm
  • R35= 5.9ohm/1.004K
  • R26=0.950K
  • R24=0.950K/5.5ohm
  • R46=5.5ohm/0.950K
all makes sense, operating as pair of potentiometers with 3, 4 as the wipers.

B- Tone
  • R15=5.6ohm/1.056K
  • R13=3.3ohm
  • R35=5.5ohm/1.053K
  • R26=5.6/1.056K
  • R24=3.3ohm
  • R46=5.5/1.052K
makes sense with 1+3 / 2+4 connected together, and then operating just as a variable resistor to change the tone.

So perhaps it's not the pot that is knackered after all? What's next to look at?

As ever - huge thanks to everyone.

Rich
Dr R
Regular
Posts: 280 Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:00 am Location: Solihull, West Midlands, UK
My ambition: To one day have enough experience to answer technical questions on the SOS forums, as well as asking them 

Post by Dr R »

Photograph of "Test rig" to confirm stereo wiring from pickups to output:

Maintaining a steady two-finger plucking technique while shorting one pickup with the needle-nosed pliers was hard ;)

The pickups in the Aria are, I think, in the tube that forms the bridge.
As you can see, it's a lot lighter than a typical bass.
Dr R
Regular

Post by Folderol »

ef37a wrote:Ah! "Headphones" that makes sense of the use of the LM386s.

And stereo, could be some weird phase anomaly going on?

Dave.

Ding!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Dr R »

Thanks Folderol - I take it that's a lightbulb moment?

I'm don't understand how a phase anomaly would prevent the tone control from affecting the sound, though I can see how it might remove some of the bass frequency, which is also part of the problem.

More confused than ever :?

Rich
Dr R
Regular

Post by ef37a »

Dr R wrote:Thanks Folderol - I take it that's a lightbulb moment?

I'm don't understand how a phase anomaly would prevent the tone control from affecting the sound, though I can see how it might remove some of the bass frequency, which is also part of the problem.

Rich

It is often the case Rich that even quite simple electronic systems display faults that seem to make no sense and a purely logical examination of the circuit (which we have not got!) throws very little light.

Once the fault has been found however it becomes blindingly obvious that "THAT" was why it went T's U! (I call it the "Rumsfeld effect")

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16449 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk

Post by Dr R »

Thanks Dave,
Most software faults follow the same arc. The difference is I sort of know what I am doing there ;)
So what should I look for next?
Dr R
Regular

Post by Folderol »

Dr R wrote:Thanks Folderol - I take it that's a lightbulb moment?

Rich

It completely explains the (otherwise incomprehensible) chip choice, and I'd be very interested to know what exactly they are doing to get a supposed 'stereo' effect. Oh, and poor LF response could be simply down to caps drying out.

I'm a bit suspicious of the tone control doing nothing at all. A simple fault would suggest only one side being affected. Also, no stereo effect at all sounds a bit strange. I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be something daft like a hairline fracture in a ground track.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18066 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!