Attic Room Studio Build

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Attic Room Studio Build

Post by Luke W »

Bit more progress on the desk build, been a bit busy recently so updates are a little slower at the moment.

Marking out the top piece:

Cut out with lots of lovely dust:

Test fit:

Once again all edges were left slightly over sized to be sanded up to a nice flat finish. You can also see how the top sits in the recess at the top of the side panels so the angled rack spaces sit flush with the desk surface. So far so good...

The top was attached by screwing upwards through the battern it sits on, which means no visible fixings from the top, no filler needed. This needs a little care and attention with the length and depth of screws vs. the thickness of the top and battern, getting it wrong and going straight through the top is a feeling best avoided.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Martin Walker »

Lovely work as usual Luke! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20599 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Luke W »

Thanks Martin :thumbup:

One more part, and then it's paint and trim. A sliding tray for my keyboard, not much to explain here:

First coat of paint, Satin finish, all done with a roller:

Everything that was going to be hidden away out of sight like the insides of the racks and the back panels got a single coat, the outsides got two, and the top was treated to three coats with some light sanding in between.

Side racks in place:

Fitting rack strips, and seeing if the trim I'd found for the edges would do the trick:

Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

On to the final stages of the desk build now, here's a shot from a bit further back:

Keyboard shelf fitted and in action, the runners are just some standard drawer runners from Screwfix, I had left room to fit another pair of runners on the underneath of the shelf and mount them to the inside rack panels if needed, but the two on the supported the weight of the shelf easily, so I left it at that:

Next up was some moulding to tidy up the edges, so the saws came back out:

These all got the same flame/stain/wax treatment to match the rest of the woodwork, and as they're nice and light were just pushed into place with a bit of adhesive. A close up of one of the top rack surrounds:

A couple more in place, with my power loom from my old rack ready to be adapted for the new desk:

Next up is some screen mounting, and final wiring. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Really nice work. I have much envy. :)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

Thank you :thumbup:

I'm almost up to date now... I originally bought my 21:9 monitor thinking it would give me enough space to keep me away from running two screens, but as nice as it is, I started to miss having a second. I've also done a couple of bits recently where I've needed to work to picture, so I decided to add another while I was getting everything back together.

Screen on a stand, with a block to raise it:

I had to modify (chop in half) my Rockwool filled stand that I'd been using for my existing screen:

In with cables through:

That's where I found out the interesting way that the desk is strong enough to hold a person who's holding a TV. Confidence is key.

All trim finished and both screens working:

Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Wonks »

It's all very nice.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Luke W »

Cheers Wonks.

A week or two ago my lovely new Crookwood C3 arrived, so I took the opportunity to tidy up my power wiring whilst I installed it. I also added a couple of patch panels, one in the top left rack with a socket for the output from the Crookwood's headphone amp and a couple of USB ports to save me fumbling around under the desk to plug in a hard drive/memory stick, and one in the bottom left rack for mic/headphone connections to and from the Apollo Twin.

Rack with C3 installed:

Desktop close up, you can just about see the USB ports:

And finally, up and running:

The rest of the room needs a good clear out and tidy, I'm planning on making some gobos that will double up as panels for the back wall, and there's the patchbay to get sorted, but everything is functioning to a point where I can work, and sounding pretty decent. Winner.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

That's a nice set up and no mistake.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Luke W »

Cheers, your place is coming along nicely, looking forward to seeing the results :thumbup:

Bit more Rockwool appeared yesterday and I'm just waiting on some extra fabric so I'll be getting some gobos built next week hopefully.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

Another little update, I've just finished building some gobos that will double up as panels for the rear walls. I won't bother with each stage of the build as they're much the same as all the other panels but with some wheels screwed on. They all contain 100mm slabs of Rockwool with fabric on one side, and some wooded cladding on the other.

There are two 600x1200 finished in some blue Cara fabric I had left over, and two 1200x1200 with castors finished in black Cara. I also fitted some catches so they can be stacked and locked together for when I need something a bit taller for vocal recordings and the like.

1200x1200:

1200x600:

Catch:

Stacked in various combinations:

Once I've tidied up and cleared enough space to get them in place I'll take some pictures of the rest of the room.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Nice, I might build a couple of those, would be useful to separate the guitar amp and drum kit or, as you do, for a vocal corner.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19591 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.