Attic Room Studio Build

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Attic Room Studio Build

Post by Folderol »

While I'm enjoying following this series, I do wish you wouldn't embed so many absolutely huge images. This last lot took 10 minutes to download here :(
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Luke W »

Folderol wrote:While I'm enjoying following this series, I do wish you wouldn't embed so many absolutely huge images. This last lot took 10 minutes to download here :(

Hmmm. I'll take a look at what's going on at this end as I thought the files were getting crunched down a bit on their way up. They're not huge files to begin with so they certainly shouldn't be taking that long! Thanks.
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1526 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Loaded fine on my mobile using my dodgy 4ishG signal here. And I love the detail!
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Folderol »

Hmm, just done a speed check on my service. It's running at 11m download, so that should be at least reasonable... unless it's being throttled somewhere. I'm with Zen, and I've never had such a problem before.

P.S
I'm only on an ordinary copper land line.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18065 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Watchmaker »

This is probably my favorite thread here. <Standing ovation>

Bravo! :clap::clap::clap:

I dunno about you, but if it weren't for winter I'd probably never actually record anything...Next year I build my shop, the year after, my studio - fate and whimsy allowing at any rate. I will refer to this thread for inspiration.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Luke W wrote:Rack with C3 installed:

It's looking fabulous. Very impressed.

Seeing the above picture amused me... I spent a day recently stripping off the labels from my Crookwood XLR panels (I have 6U of them!), removing the XLR cards, and then rebuilding and relabelling them the other way up!

Where I came from, sockets are always labelled from above -- as they are in your jack patchbay -- and I was forever confusing myself when plugging things into the Crookwood panels beforehand when the labels were below the sockets.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Wonks »

Looks lovely, Luke. :clap::thumbup:

An ideal candidate for a Studio SOS where Paul and Hugh just sit around drinking tea and eating hobnobs all day. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Luke W »

Folderol wrote:Hmm, just done a speed check on my service. It's running at 11m download, so that should be at least reasonable... unless it's being throttled somewhere. I'm with Zen, and I've never had such a problem before.

P.S
I'm only on an ordinary copper land line.

Ok, it looks like the pictures have stayed at their original size (mostly between 3 and 4MB) so I'll keep it in mind next time I upload something.

Watchmaker wrote:This is probably my favorite thread here. <Standing ovation>

Bravo! :clap::clap::clap:

I dunno about you, but if it weren't for winter I'd probably never actually record anything...Next year I build my shop, the year after, my studio - fate and whimsy allowing at any rate. I will refer to this thread for inspiration.

Thank you. It's good to know that it's proving to be helpful, or at least interesting to people!

I could definitely do more recording than I do, this is a good example of getting a bit carried away with building things and almost losing sight of why I'm actually making them in the first place. I do enjoy the process though so it's not all bad.

Hugh Robjohns wrote: It's looking fabulous. Very impressed.

Seeing the above picture amused me... I spent a day recently stripping off the labels from my Crookwood XLR panels (I have 6U of them!), removing the XLR cards, and then rebuilding and relabelling them the other way up!

Where I came from, sockets are always labelled from above -- as they are in your jack patchbay -- and I was forever confusing myself when plugging things into the Crookwood panels beforehand when the labels were below the sockets.

H

Thanks, Hugh. I hadn't paid too much attention to the labels seeing as there's just the one panel and everything is staying put once it's patched, now you mention it I can see that being a bit confusing with a few of them stacked up. There's still a couple of bits to get connected, but I'm going to wait until I tackle the patchbay and do it all in one go.

Really impressed with the Crookwood though. I've only done a few sessions since installing it but it's proving to be incredibly useful, even more so than I thought when I bought it so that's reassuring! I also love the fact it can be expanded with my needs rather than replaced.

Wonks wrote:Looks lovely, Luke. :clap::thumbup:

An ideal candidate for a Studio SOS where Paul and Hugh just sit around drinking tea and eating hobnobs all day. :D

Thanks, Wonks, much appreciated. That'd be an interesting article :lol:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Luke W wrote:Really impressed with the Crookwood though. I've only done a few sessions since installing it but it's proving to be incredibly useful, even more so than I thought when I bought it so that's reassuring! I also love the fact it can be expanded with my needs rather than replaced.

Yes. I'm a very big fan. Seriously well-designed kit, where all the money goes on the important bits, and it really shows. Good to buy British too... And Crispin is extremely helpful.
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38835 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by jeffbruckner »

Stunning job .

Love the scorched/polished trims. Really make a huge impact.

Will shamelessly borrow many ideas and inspirations if I may.

I am constntantly shifting and moving my equipment , so have never been

confident in any final placement enough to screw it all into place!
20190808_225009.jpg
I have a dream of working with the kit placed diagonally, minimising any inherent reflections

from the beginning and maximising the workspace.

Your panels and baffles are absolutely wonderful work, extremely well designed and executed.

Will re-read to get the details about any tech specs and initial design requirements.

Missed all the tech guff while dribbling over the glossy photos.

regards

Jeff
jeffbruckner
New here
Posts: 4 Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:39 pm Location: London

Post by Luke W »

Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to borrow away as you please, if there's any particular detail missing that you need then just ask and I'll do my best to help out. :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Luke, it looks gorgeous. I'm as impressed with your aesthetic tastes as I am with your construction skills. Excellent work! :clap::clap::clap:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects