Classic synth repair! Can anyone recomend an Honest and reliable Tech?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Classic synth repair! Can anyone recomend an Honest and reliable Tech?

Post by Dave_Bee »

I say this with caution... I am an electronics "expert" and undertake repairs/design of all sorts including music kit. I have good knowledge of Ensoniq and done various other brands too. But I am selective as some kit is either way too time consuming or the parts extinct. I am not afraid of turning repairs down if I feel they are too complex.
I've been in the business now for many years but keep a low profile, however I do like to keep the old kit running.
Feel free to contact me via PM.
Dave_Bee
Poster

Re: Classic synth repair! Can anyone recomend an Honest and reliable Tech?

Post by ianadrian »

I know this is an old thread but it helped me find a tech to service my OSCar so thought I'd mention my experience. I can highly recommend James Walker of Synth Repair Services who is very experienced in repairing/ servicing just about any vintage synth known to man. He did an excellent job replacing all pots, connectors and psu caps on my OSCar and all for a very reasonable price considering the hours/parts he put in.

Another tech I can recommend who I've used in the past is Adrian at SynthRestore who used to service my minimoog(just a bit too far away from me).

One to avoid is The Synthesizer Service Centre in London. I've never actually used them myself but have heard many negative comments about them over the years from various sources.

I think decent techs are like finding decent builders. It's always best to go with the ones who've been recommended to you rather than just blindly pick one you've never heard of!
ianadrian
New here