Studio Monitors placed slightly asymmetrically

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Studio Monitors placed slightly asymmetrically

Post by zingerzingz »

:wave:

I'm placed in a room where perfect symmetry would mean placing my desk in front of the door to my front room. Tried to convince the missus to allow this by saying I was building a Tekashi Castlesque obstacle course into the room but she wasn't on board with that.

Both speakers are at least 1m from the nearest wall, will I still need to tinker with EQ settings for balance ? or can a discrepancy of 0.5m be tolerated on either side?
Last edited by zingerzingz on Thu May 06, 2021 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zingerzingz
New here

Re: Studio Monitors placed slightly asymmetrically

Post by Sam Spoons »

The slight asymmetry you have is much less than many so I don't think you have a problem. Are you are in an untreated room? If so that will make a much bigger difference to your mixing environment.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by zingerzingz »

Sam Spoons wrote:The slight asymmetry you have is much less than many so I don't think you have a problem. Are you are in an untreated room? If so that will make a much bigger difference to your mixing environment.

:thumbup:

I am shopping around for some bass traps as we speak, looking at also getting the Sonarworks bundle once I get the walls treated. What an expensive past time this is turning out to be!
zingerzingz
New here

Post by RichardT »

I have an asymmetrical setup and with good trapping and Sonarworks it works fine.
RichardT
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4177 Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:00 am Location: Ireland

Post by Sam Spoons »

Most hobbies are* but room treatment is the cheapest way to improve the sound of your recordings. That said a domestic room is always going to be a compromise and ½ metre off centre is going to be a small one in the scheme of things.

* I sail dinghies and ride bicycles.... I also play guitars and, in that area at least, have moderately expensive tastes.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19704 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.