DIY Home/Studio Acoustic Treatment Tutorials

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Re: DIY Home/Studio Acoustic Treatment Tutorials

Post by Elephone »

Anyone tried using plus-sized ladies tights to keep the fibres from straying? Just an idea.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Elephone »

Sam Spoons wrote:I used dust sheets on the back if my panels and it works pretty well. As James says it doesn't look as nice as Cara though and it is not quite as easy to use for some reason.

I presume you mean cotton fibre dust sheets? But there's cotton twill, cotton calico, cotton canvas, laminated cotton, rayon, and Bolton twill.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotton-Dust- ... 1195033497?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by James Perrett »

I used the cotton twill dust sheets as that's what they sold in Screwfix. Nowadays I'd go to Toolstation who are usually cheaper for most things (their dust sheets are roughly the same price as that Ebay listing which is £3 cheaper than Screwfix).
James Perrett
Posts: 14379 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Sam Spoons »

Elephone wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:I used dust sheets on the back if my panels and it works pretty well. As James says it doesn't look as nice as Cara though and it is not quite as easy to use for some reason.

I presume you mean cotton fibre dust sheets? But there's cotton twill, cotton calico, cotton canvas, laminated cotton, rayon, and Bolton twill.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cotton-Dust- ... 1195033497?

I used these https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-cotton-dust-sheet-l-3-67m-w-2-74-m/1650661_BQ.prd?utm_source=google_cpc&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Surfaces_+_Generic&ppc_type=shopping&ds_kids=92700029904929509&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-sjPjuXe3gIVQ7DtCh0MtQK0EAQYASABEgLsJvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19734 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Elephone »

Thanks. I do think nylon tights might be a good underlay as an extra precaution to prevent fibres straying (as well PVA spray), especially if the panels are in your living space, above a couch or bed.

Incidentally, to apply the PVA, should I water it down to about 1 part PVA to 5 parts water and put it in a spray bottle?

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Mixedup »

Upholsterers bottoming fabric also works well enough. Ditto hessian/burlap, which can be cheap if bought in bulk on a roll.

Though with lots of these 'alternatives' to commercial acoustic cloth, you might want to check the credentials for fire safety...
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by Elephone »

Sorry to be totally useless... but does it have to be PVA glue to bond the fibres? I don't want to balls it up by getting the wrong consistency. Won't an aerosol carpet spray glue do the trick? Otherwise, how do I mix PVA with water? Does it need meths or alcohol to be added?

Thanks
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

PVA is water based, just dilute with water. The dilution will depend on which PVA you buy, the correct ratio is usually on the container (it’s not super critical though).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by Elephone »

Sam Spoons wrote:PVA is water based, just dilute with water. The dilution will depend on which PVA you buy, the correct ratio is usually on the container (it’s not super critical though).

Just wondering... in hindsight... wouldn't hairspray have been better than diluted PVA to bind the stray fibres?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Elephone wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:PVA is water based, just dilute with water. The dilution will depend on which PVA you buy, the correct ratio is usually on the container (it’s not super critical though).

Just wondering... in hindsight... wouldn't hairspray have been better than diluted PVA to bind the stray fibres?

I hope you jest Elephone - can't think of a more flammable solution :o:shock:

Diluted PVA worked wonders on my traps :thumbup:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20642 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Elephone »

I thought that was the propellant. So people are walking about with flammable hairdos? Wow.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Apparently dried hairspray residue is more flammable than human hair, but, reading between the lines, not much........ The propellent is, undoubtedly, pretty dodgy stuff in the presence of a naked flame (being as how it is alcohol.....).

https://www.chemaxx.com/Hairspray_fire.htm
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster