Pop music production

Arrangement, instrumentation, lyric writing, music theory, inspiration… it’s all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Pop music production

Post by Adam Artman »

Hello to all friends... I hope you be great.
I have some questions.

1- how can I improve my pop music production skills?is it useful Re Create songs from first to finish and copy them?

2- do I need going to music production schools? i'm not in USA but I will go to USA if I know USA music schools can help me to become powerful music producer.what do you think about it?
Adam Artman
Regular
Posts: 169 Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:54 pm Location: Iran
Silent when music is playing...It's Holy

Re: Pop music production

Post by muzines »

1. Make a lot of music. Finish things. Learn from everything. Use those lessons to do better next time. Put stuff out there. Work with other people. Care about what you do. Listen to feedback. Learn to communicate. have something to say.

2. No. You can't think "I want to become a powerful record producer", that's just fantasy. If that's where you head is at, you're coming it it all wrong, imo. What you should be thinking is "how can I make this track great". If you can consistently do that, then step by step, with a lot of luck, determination and perseverence you can potentially make a name for yourself and start to build a career.

Be able to make a track great is your first step, and that's the process you need to develop and get down, *waaayyyyy* before you think about a successful career. Because if you can't do that, thinking about anything beyond that is again, just fantasy.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Adam Artman »

thank you so much for your help.
other question that i have from your words is how can i copy music without have vocal.can i?
how?
you know pop music has vocal.i wanna know how should i do it?
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Sorry, your question doesn't really translate.
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24449 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by The Elf »

Adam Artman wrote:how can i copy music without have vocal

You can't. There are some clever processes that will try to remove a vocal from a mixed song, but they are a compromise at best. And even if you could you will not learn to mix by only removing the vocal - you would need all of the other instruments separated as well, which is not going to happen.

Begin by writing some music of your own. That way you will begin to learn.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by CS70 »

Adam Artman wrote:Hello to all friends... I hope you be great.
I have some questions.

1- how can I improve my pop music production skills?is it useful Re Create songs from first to finish and copy them?

2- do I need going to music production schools? i'm not in USA but I will go to USA if I know USA music schools can help me to become powerful music producer.what do you think about it?

To what end? And what is "music production" to you? Do you want to be an artist or produce other people's music?

For learning the technical skills, yeah you can try and make covers (but there's zero sense in lifting already mixed tracks, with or without vocals - what do you expect to learn from that?). Once you have the basics down, you can find some artist who needs producing and show your skillz.

In any business it's always all about connections and networking. If you want people to come and ask you to produce them, they need to know you.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Murray B »

If you are looking for some multitrack projects to practise your skills with, then you could use the rather excellent resources put together by Mike Senior.

https://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/

I'd also recommend purchasing his book on Mixing.
Murray B
Regular
Posts: 389 Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Staffordshire

Post by Adam Artman »

thank you so much about friends help.
I wanna know how can I introduce my self to the world as music producer in online way?Of curse if i create great music.my favorite genres are pop and EDM and i wanna learn more about DJ and production.
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by CS70 »

Adam Artman wrote:thank you so much about friends help.
I wanna know how can I introduce my self to the world as music producer in online way?Of curse if i create great music.my favorite genres are pop and EDM and i wanna learn more about DJ and production.

You cannot introduce yourself to the world... it's too big!

You can introduce yourself to your local beat-making-hip-hop-producing-caps-wearing crowd and learn with them. Focus on getting good and making friends, and if you're good and friendly someone there may have some connection and get you introduced to some different environment and so on and so on until someone will ask you "hey, I'd like to work with me on this track I have". In other words, forget the world and work hard with the environment you have around you. And of course forums. Avicii started on forum.studio.se.

Or you can relocate to LA and do the same thing, of course. Won't likely increase your chances but traveling is good.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by Fishnish »

Murray B wrote:If you are looking for some multitrack projects to practise your skills with, then you could use the rather excellent resources put together by Mike Senior.

https://www.cambridge-mt.com/ms/mtk/

I'd also recommend purchasing his book on Mixing.

These are great resources for practicing mixing. You'll also find that Telefunken (the mic people) do a series called "Live from the Lab" where they make the multitracks available.

https://www.telefunken-elektroakustik.c ... b-season-5

A good excercise is sometimes to set a time limit and then try to get a finished result within it.

Another thing I've found useful is practising with MIDI files found on the web to create covers of music you want to study. There's lots of well known music available as MIDI transcriptions, sometimes they're great and sometimes really not very good at all. They are usually set up just to play with GM (general MIDI) sounds, but by loading them in to your DAW you can swap out the individual parts on to your own virtual instruments, or use them as guide tracks to help record your own audio tracks. Again, a good way of learning the tools in your setup, especially if you take the raw file and try make as faithful a sonic copy of the original as you can. If the source files are less than perfect you'll also work your listening skills trying to correct them + if they're well done it can be a good way of looking at the song structures + arrangement.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by Adam Artman »

great helps my guys...
you know other question is about creating a music from first to the end.some times everything begins good but in the middle of way i think it can be better if i change parts or melodies and so i should change everything... it takes long time and may tire me... what should i do to finish a music that i started?
Adam Artman
Regular

Post by The Elf »

Adam Artman wrote:you know other question is about creating a music from first to the end.some times everything begins good but in the middle of way i think it can be better if i change parts or melodies and so i should change everything... it takes long time and may tire me... what should i do to finish a music that i started?

You may not have yet developed the skills you need. If so this will improve with time and practice.

Do it over and over and over and over again. You are not going to be an expert in a day. It will take patience and practice.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.