Wireless microphone

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Wireless microphone

Post by primoz86 »

Hello!

Can you help me with the purchase of a wireless microphone?

I decide to buy:

- AKG DMS800 C5WL1
- Sennheiser EW300-945
- Sennheiser EW100-945
- or your opinion?
primoz86

Re: Wireless microphone

Post by Sam Spoons »

Any of those will serve you well. The AKG is digital and works on the 2.4GHz wifi frequency, the Sennheisers are UHF analogue and you need to get the correct frequency range for your country. The 2.4GHz band is licence free World wide and there are licence free bands in the UHF spectrum but they vary from country to country.

I've used both Sennheiser EW series (I have a battered old 945G1 transmitter and a EW100G2 receiver myself and borrowed a rack of AKG DMSs for a gig back in November) so have some personal experience of both. From that I would probably buy the AKG if I was buying now.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by TheChorltonWheelie »

primoz86 wrote:Hello!

Can you help me with the purchase of a wireless microphone?

I decide to buy:

- AKG DMS800 C5WL1
- Sennheiser EW300-945
- Sennheiser EW100-945
- or your opinion?

I'd choose the AKG all day long, the 150mhz bandwidth selection (and very good landscape scan) is incredibly useful. I use the AKG DSR now, albeit slightly older than the DMS, and it's major strength is not only the great D5 mic capsule, but also the 150mhz range and the landscape scan that allows you to indentify the most uncongested frequency to use.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Where in the World are you primoz86?

The AKG system, according to the website, is only available in the US. And, as far as I can ascertain the 150 MHz band is not available for PMSE use in the UK (only for licensed business radios). Could be wrong about that though (I was about them being on the 2.4GHz band), do you know CW if it can be licensed in the UK?

FWIW, the one I have used in the UK is the AKG DMS Tetrad Vocal Set D5 v2 which does use 2.4GHz.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19731 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Wonks »

We don't actually know where the OP is in the world, Where are you Primoz86, as it can make a big difference to the wireless mics suitable for that country?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by primoz86 »

Slovenia (Europa)
primoz86