Thinking ahead perfect PA

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Thinking ahead perfect PA

Post by gsc1ugs »

Got use to doing that when i had no bins... sometimes do it for low speaking lyrics, live is different from that promo. Thxs :thumbup:
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

Yes that's the one I remember, nice :clap:

Cupping the mic affects the frequency response and directionality (if you block the vents at the back of the capsule you change the pattern into omni with all the feedback issues that can produce).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19719 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

gsc1ugs wrote:Great words.... BUT.... at this stage im looking at something i can manage and and good rig with easy enough add ons and a graphic will suffice for now. Thanks for all your input.

I feel you may have inadvertently pre-derailed the conversation with the word "perfect". If you were to substitute "appropriate" we might have been more focussed on your needs rather than dealing with the fact that a "perfect" option doesn't exist without an actual human making real time choices.

Do you already have a mixer?
Are the rooms adjacent?
EQ will not solve phase issues, it may mask them temporarily until your audience arrive.

Once you have the main FOH sorted a pair of Yamaha DXRs on a delayed aux if appropriate would raise few complaints from normal punters (SOS folks might tut a little).
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Sam Spoons »

OK, back to the original question.

You'll struggle to find a scalable system that will cover all the bases, the nearest I can think of with a decent budget would be 4 x DZR10s and a couple of DXS15 subs. 2 x tops for small gigs and add a sub or two and the extra tops as delay satellites* as they get bigger. You'll need a digital mixer (any will do the job but I have 2 x X32s, an XR12 and a Mackie DL1608, the Mackie is the easiest to use)

* place them part way down the room and delay them by 1ms per foot. They won't work as well placed side by side in a conventional room but if you run one pair about 3dB lower than the other it helps keep comb filtering effects down. In an odd shaped room firing the tops into different areas will work ok.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by gsc1ugs »

Your right, im doomed, just setting up now
In a room hard floored, how the hell can i sound check with noone in
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by gsc1ugs »

I do remember something years a called i think an autographic equaliser, dont know anything about it but i believe it sorted the graphic to the room but to who’s taste?
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by gsc1ugs »

Sam Spoons wrote:OK, back to the original question.

You'll struggle to find a scalable system that will cover all the bases, the nearest I can think of with a decent budget would be 4 x DZR10s and a couple of DXS15 subs.

Thats 4 x £915
2 x £1587
:ooo:
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by shufflebeat »

gsc1ugs wrote:

You'll struggle to find a scalable system that will cover all the bases, the nearest I can think of with a decent budget would be 4 x DZR10s and a couple of DXS15 subs.

Thats 4 x £915
2 x £1587

To be fair, this is quite an expensive game if you want quality/ease of use/reliability.

Your goal is good and the advice here is well intended.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Sam Spoons »

gsc1ugs wrote:

Thats 4 x £915
2 x £1587

Considering the iD24 rig you linked to is £6.5k for only 4 boxes I'd say that was terrific value. And it'll be much louder.

If you fancy L'Acoustics kit a single 112P (now discontinued) FR cab would set you back £6k+ and it doesn't go as loud as a DZR10.

Good, cheap & loud, pick 2.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by gsc1ugs »

I know the advice is excellent reason im on and about to start a new thread :crazy:

I will try my best find that rig 2nd hand. I dont mind bashes and bruises. Thxs all.
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by Sam Spoons »

How many 200+ gigs do you do a year*? If it's not many I'd still consider hiring in a big rig (and possibly a sound guy) for the big gigs.

*Two DZR10/12s and a single sub will cover anything small with ease (and possible larger),
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Post by gsc1ugs »

Im on it with the DZR10's/12
gsc1ugs
Regular

Post by dickiefunk »

It would be worth checking out secondhand Nexo PS10’s and L500/600 subs. You will need th amp + controller but I’ve seen these go for between £3000-£4000 and they are seriously loud!
dickiefunk
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2027 Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:00 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by gsc1ugs »

When you say “loud” i dont want deaf’n people i want warm thick room filling clarity or is that same thing?
gsc1ugs
Regular