Are the AUX, Play and Rec Inputs or Outputs?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Are the AUX, Play and Rec Inputs or Outputs?

Post by mikehende »

Hey guys, I am not getting a clear answer on this. I just got a Kenwood KR-4070 Receiver and I am looking into if the TAPE jacks which are Rec and Play and also the AUX jacks which are Input and which are Output please?

I was told by one person that it depends on which equipment you wish to connect to those jacks which will determine if it is an IN or OUT?

https://classicreceivers.com/kenwood-kr-4070
mikehende
Regular

Re: Are the AUX, Play and Rec Inputs or Outputs?

Post by Wonks »

The manual for it is available online if you do a search.

Here's a connection diagram page from it:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/28700 ... e=4#manual

The Aux is a line input (say from a radio or a CD player)

Tape Play is an input, which you'd connect to a tape player's playback output.

Tape Rec is an output which you'd connect to a tape player's record input, so you could record whatever was playing through the amp.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by mikehende »

Thanks! That's what I was thinking, just needed confirmation. The Rec jack on any equipment usually shows Rec [Out] so I was not understanding how one could use this as an input no matter which equipment.

Also that Ferrite Bar Antenna is always in the way, can/should I remove it?
mikehende
Regular

Post by Wonks »

If you don't use the radio part of it and can disconnect the aerial without cutting wires, then go ahead. If you cut the wires you'll obviously devalue the unit if you ever plan to re-sell it. You should be able to move it out of the way when making connections. After that, it shouldn't bother you unless you plan to keep plugging and unplugging items.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by mikehende »

Wonks wrote:You should be able to move it out of the way when making connections.

I am not seeing a way to move it out of the way and don't wish to break anything, let me see if I can find someone who has this machine and inquire about it, appreciate the help!
mikehende
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

mikehende wrote:Thanks! That's what I was thinking, just needed confirmation. The Rec jack on any equipment usually shows Rec [Out] so I was not understanding how one could use this as an input no matter which equipment.

There were one or two European bits of gear made by Philips with combined inputs and outputs but I'd be surprised if you ever encounter them in the US. They used round DIN connectors (as used nowadays for MIDI) and pins 3 and 5 could be both an input and output.

mikehende wrote: Also that Ferrite Bar Antenna is always in the way, can/should I remove it?

It is an integral part of the AM tuning circuit so I don't think it would be a good idea. The AM part of the tuner won't work without it.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Is it safe to use a Full Range speaker as a sub?

Post by mikehende »

I am trying to get some ideas for this.

So guys, in my Garage's DJ Rig I turned on my equipment as normal and no sound from my passive EAW Sub. So to test, I removed the cable and plugged into my EV Eliminator i Series 15" full range speakers

https://av.loyola.com/products/audio/ev ... tor-i.html

and I cannot believe the bass I am getting from it, I mean serious "punch"! I am wondering if it would be safe for the speaker itself if I were to use it only as a Subwoofer? In my garage only I mean and not for any mobile use.
mikehende
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Yes it's more than safe to do. Is the sub signal it's being sent already low-pass filtered i.e. not full range? If it is a full range signal then the sound will conflict with your other speakers. If bass only, then there's no problem.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by mikehende »

First, sorry I made a mistake by not being aware I was creating a new topic inside of this thread.

If I am understanding your question correctly then yes as I was testing briefly with the same cable from the EAW Sub which is coming from the bass Amp and LOW OUT from the Rane Crossover.

But should I disable the speaker's internal crossover and run a direct line from Amp to woofer or can I leave as is with the crossover and horn connected?
mikehende
Regular

Post by Wonks »

Leave it as it is. The EV's own crossover is at 1600Hz, the sub signal is probably crossed over between 125 and 150 Hz. So the HF driver will be doing nothing, and the 15" will just be producing bass.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by mikehende »

GREAT, thanks. good to know I would not have to open it up to tamper with anything.

One more thing please and this is only a thought. I realize that when listening to a bass speaker you will hear a different tone of bass or get a different effect if listen from in front, the back or at the side of it.

Might it do any speaker damage "long term" if facing the cabs to the side walls of my Garage so when hanging out in the middle of Garage we will be heard the bass from in front of the side the Speakers?
mikehende
Regular