Live multicamera video - sound advice needed!

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Live multicamera video - sound advice needed!

Post by Tim Gillett »

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Tim Gillett wrote:What about in very poor conditions such as in Chris's venue?

What about Chris's venue? It is what it is. He has usable audio now where he didn't before. The camera shots haven't been compromised. The contributors aren't intimidated. The dramatic improvement cost very little.

What's your point?

Is it possible you already understand my point but...?
Tim Gillett
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2632 Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:00 am Location: Perth, Western Australia

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24612 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Kwackman »

Mike Stranks wrote:I'm not going to be drawn Tim...

The wise man has spoken! ;)
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by AlecSp »

ChrisFelixstowe wrote:TBH I do seem to have got most of what I want from the discussion so far, and will raise the mics a bit, but that's where I'll stick, I think, on this one.

Indeed, and that should get you where you want to be. And Mike's excellent budget lav suggestion shows once again that you don't always need to splash a bundle of cash to see an appreciable improvement.

ChrisFelixstowe wrote:The owner is pretty keen to a resolve the echo issue, and I think they'll get some pro advice, which will help when they do. That should sort most of the venue probs.

That would be great, but won't be cheap. And is it a problem for general purpose use of the venue? The human hearing system works wonders to improve intelligibility in a real life environment. And you've already demonstrated that a couple of bargain bucket mics produce a significant improvement for trivial cost. I guess it depends on what he wants to achieve and whether he has the budgert.

ChrisFelixstowe wrote:I have to say that I do find big clunky mics that many vloggers and other use seriously unattractive - they mask half the face sometimes, and I think they look awful . . .

Too true - they're an affectation. Kudos to vloggers who want to improve their sound, but people can be desperate to copy everyone else, where they could actually do so much better with a much more discrete solution - witness the over-popularity of the Shure SM7B for singers looking to look cool.

ChrisFelixstowe wrote:I will try the mic I used the first time, run through the Podtrak to increase the line signal, just to see how in works.

Unless you relocate the mic, all that will do is give you the same rather unpleasant sound, just at a higher level. The only way to reduce the impact of the room is to treat the room or to get the mic closer to the desired sound source.
AlecSp
Frequent Poster
Posts: 673 Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:00 am Location: Herts, UK

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

FYI: Tim is taking a month long holiday and has ceased his combative and pointless bickering in this thread...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...