VStomp Amp by Hotone pronounced, “Hot One,” is a collection of realistic modeled legendary amp emulations. The range includes: Marshall, Vox, Black Twin, Silver Twin, Mark, Baseman, Mesa Boogie, etc. The software uses the same tech found inside of their XTOMP multi-effect pedal, CDCM (Comprehensive Dynamic Circuit Modeling) system. Okay, I have no clue what that is, but I know it sounds great. Under the hood . . . I’m guessing they employed one of the following:
1. Miniature effigies of Jimmy Page et al.
2. Cutting edge algorithms for amps that also manipulate loaded cab IRs.
After investigating, I discovered that CDCM is a special kind of circuit that helps to emulate/replicate all the parameters and tonalities of classic amps and cabs to achieve “the closes possible characteristics” of the actual circuitry. Hey, it sounds great!!
HOW TO USE:
2. Select an amp
3. Select a cab
4. Add delay, reverb, and boost.
6. Save preset
VStomp allows users to combine a wide variety of amps and cabs to create a unique custom sound. It includes countless clean, overdriven, hi-gain, and bass tones. I’m more into a 60s vibe as of late, so I favor the clean tones. I found an good preset demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W3ZRn_luI4. It’s good for a reference, but I think most of the examples sound better at home . . . less tinny. To quote Raphael Morgan from a KVR Audio post, “It sounds killer with Recabinet and some good IRs.”
• Attractive, user-friendly interface.
• Fun to use.
• Sounds great.
• Nothing complicated, which = more playing.
• Built-in noise gate.
• Can be used as standalone (Mac OSX).
• Presets adjustable via MIDI controller in vivo.
• Priced right
• Free amp cabs frequently added.
• Enthusiastic developer with excellent communication.
• Needs more bass amps. Don’t be stingy. Show bassists more love!
• Modulation FX
• VStomp is buried somewhere in Hotone's website, but you can easily find it here: https://vstomp.hotoneaudio.com
There are countless amp/cab emulations out there . . . some good, some bad, and some are just plain ugly. VStomp is GREAT! In my opinion, VStomp nails the sound of the original hardware counterparts, especially Fender and Marshall. If you’re looking for the deepest IR loader, look elsewhere. If you want to play and sound good for under $100, look here! VStomp is a software amp simulator that every guitarist and bassist should consider, whether you play a real or virtual axe. This thing rocks. Try the free demo . . . you have nothing to lose!
Note: If you pull the trigger, I highly recommend adding their Amps and Cabs bundle, which often goes on sale. This will ensure you have “all the real sounds of rock heroes past and present.”
• Pay more and get AmpliTube or TH-U. They will also sound great, but you will need a little more patience to dial it in.
• Pay less and get Studio Devil or Kuassa.
• Pay nothing and use LePou or Logic’s Guitar Amp Designer (if Logic is your DAW, of course)
Hotone's VStomp User Review by Tommy Zai
Post your own hardware/software reviews.
1 post • Page 1 of 1