Modeling

For feedback and suggestions about the SOS magazine, app, web site or forums.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Modeling

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Mike Stranks wrote: I had my hair cut especially... :(

Which one?
;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Mike Stranks »

blinddrew wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote: I had my hair cut especially... :(

Which one?
;)

People who live in glass houses... :lol:

15-all; Drew to serve...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I don't think I can even muster 15! :D
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24577 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

Folderol wrote:On a two slice toaster put just one slice in. The 'common' side will toast much faster than the other side.

Not sure about that but I do recall having a toaster that could toast only one side of the bread (and there was a reason given but I'm bu99ered if I can remember what it was now).....
Last edited by Sam Spoons on Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19701 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by shufflebeat »

Wonks wrote:Or put two thin slices together into one slot.

In Ireland this is common practice. It allows just enough to time for the grill to warm up to do the other side.

With cheese and thinlllly sliced mushrooms/truffles on, of course.
Last edited by shufflebeat on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Eddy Deegan »

The bright embers of an ashwood fire, a forked stick and the (ideally firm-but-fresh) bread supported by the stick poked through top and bottom. Toast one side by hand using appropriate distance and angle, then flip and warm to 'stale' (but not to proper brown) the other.

Butter to taste. The result is exquisite. As long as you have active red/orange embers you can even do it while the fire is in progress (and you're feeding it).

I've fed parties of 8 people on a constant round-robin basis for an hour using this technique. You need a few forked sticks but they last longer than one might think (make sure they have had the bark removed). Once you get it, with the right fire you can toast a piece to absolute perfection in well under a minute, even varying for taste.

I will concede a 1-in-10 loss rate if it falls off the stick but nothing perfect comes for free. That's why we have good ale to wash it down with - people secretly relish the gaps for a second sip between sentences.

All other methods are futile in comparison. Simpler, I'll grant you, but nowhere near as satisfying, tasty or social :tongue:
Last edited by Eddy Deegan on Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:57 am, edited 13 times in total.
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8822 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by ef37a »

I have recently started keeping thick sliced in the freezer and putting two slices straight into the toaster for 'er indoors (I have Alpen)

Works great because the toaster pops once, I turn the bread over and when it pops again, perfeck for Madam! When I used bread at ambient I could never get an optimum browning. I now no longer bin 1/2 a big loaf each week (I rarely eat toast)

I also have a silicone sheet that I do pizzas on. Do not stick. You could cut a couple of shields to do one sided toast?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk