SOS pages keep reloading?

Report bugs & errors with the SOS forums, and web site. Please check existing discussions before posting.

Moderator: Moderators

SOS pages keep reloading?

Post by Arpangel »

I’m a bit worried, sometimes when navigating to different areas of the forum, the page will reload after a couple of seconds, plus I'm getting the cookies banner more often than I should, even though my search history and data haven’t been cleared.
Also, after clicking on the banner to accept cookies, I get a pop-up ad for studio related products, never had that before.
I’m using an i Pad with the latest iOS.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: SOS pages keep reloading?

Post by muzines »

I don't know, perhaps they're tinkering with things behind the scenes.

I know that from yesterday or today, I'm getting instances when I click on a thread link or page, and instead of being taken to that page, I get an intermediate modal pop up with an ad which I then have to dismiss.

I really hope this isn't an intentional permanent change, because if it is, force inserting advertising requiring a user action to dismiss between user actions is very user hostile.
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

I haven't seen anything like that on the forums when using the desktop computer.

However, I have found a similar issue on my old iPad 1. After selecting a forum thread, as the page is loading it appears to be forced to jump down to display a web ad at the very bottom of the page. I don't have to acknowledge or cancel anything... I just have to scroll back up to read the thread. Annoying... but I put it down to an old iPad that can no longer open many web pages at all.

I'll draw this thread to the attention of 'them wot knows'...
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39015 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by zenguitar »

I've experienced a couple of pop-up ads on my laptop with Safari browser.

I wondered whether there were changes to the SOS site, or whether Google Ads has modified their service to generate pop-ups.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12558 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Paul Gilby »

Yes I'm currently experimenting with Advert placement and thank you for your feedback.
These ads only show on mobile and tablet.

I agree the pop-up interstitial ad is annoying so I've stopped it. The banner at the top or bottom of the screen is less intrusive so we'll be keeping that one in place and monitor it.

FYI. SOS, like many other publishers, has to look to web adverts as a source of revenue. We only display relevant content wherever possible so we encourage users of our site to allow ads to be displayed even if you use ad blocker software. Please consider adding us to your 'allow' list.
Paul Gilby
Posts: 177 Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2000 12:00 am Location: Cambridge UK.

Post by muzines »

Thanks Paul.

i do indeed whitelist SOS on all my devices, and I'm glad the popups are gone because the continuation of that would make me reconsider that whitelisting status.

Although SOS (on both Mac and iOS) still occasionally gives me the "it appears you're using an adblocker" message/nag from time to time, even though it's whitelisted and the ads are displayed as expected. A minor thing, but it comes across as I'm being told off for something I didn't do... :think::)
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Fishnish »

Paul Gilby wrote:Yes I'm currently experimenting with Advert placement and thank you for your feedback.
These ads only show on mobile and tablet.

I've seen them this morning, using Chrome on a Win10 PC. Ah I see from the above post that they've been turned off.

FWIW I've clicked through on the existing banner + sidebar ads on this site reasonably often- They seem to be generally well targeted, well placed and potentially useful to site users, such as when they've alerted me to a UK distributor of a piece of outboard I was after, and subsequently bought from them. Pop up ads on any site I dismiss instantly.
Fishnish
Regular

Post by Paul Gilby »

I wasn't aware that our Ad Blocker notice still showed in those circumstances so I appreciate it could be annoying. We'll investigate and tweak it if we find the solution.
Paul Gilby
Posts: 177 Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2000 12:00 am Location: Cambridge UK.

Post by Dynamic Mike »

I presumed it was a google thing so downloaded Adblock Ultimate Browser before I read this thread. Now I don't even get the banner Ads on my phone which I didn't mind too much. I'm happy to whitelist SOS on the PC but I find Ads a pain on a smartphone.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster
Keeping 2 Chevrons apart

Post by garrettendi »

Yes I've been getting popup ads as well on my iMac with Safari so it's definitely not portable devices only!

I genuinely for a moment thought I might have been infected and was getting ads injected by malware. Good to know that's not the case.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse... and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Post by Arpangel »

desmond wrote:I don't know, perhaps they're tinkering with things behind the scenes.

I know that from yesterday or today, I'm getting instances when I click on a thread link or page, and instead of being taken to that page, I get an intermediate modal pop up with an ad which I then have to dismiss.

I really hope this isn't an intentional permanent change, because if it is, force inserting advertising requiring a user action to dismiss between user actions is very user hostile.

Yes, this is exactly it, but it doesn’t happen all the time, it’s intermittent.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

garrettendi wrote:Yes I've been getting popup ads as well on my iMac with Safari so it's definitely not portable devices only!

You ought not be seeing popup ads on desktop browsers. Are you still getting them?
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by garrettendi »

Forum Admin wrote:
garrettendi wrote:Yes I've been getting popup ads as well on my iMac with Safari so it's definitely not portable devices only!

You ought not be seeing popup ads on desktop browsers. Are you still getting them?

I got it once yesterday when I did a Forum search. Hasn't happened since then, but I'll notify you immediately if so. The ad was for Hornet plugins.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster
"The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other people feel worse... and making a few bucks while you're at it." - Bleeding Gums Murphy

Post by Forum Admin »

garrettendi wrote:I got it once yesterday when I did a Forum search. Hasn't happened since then, but I'll notify you immediately if so. The ad was for Hornet plugins.

:thumbup:
Forum Admin
Posts: 4291 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by Arpangel »

Forum Admin wrote:

I’m not using a desktop, I only view SOS on my i Pad, latest version, latest iOS, using Safari.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Arpangel »

I’m getting ads in the side-bar now for Mature Ladies, altering between ads for UAD interfaces. Intervening ads still appearing sometimes.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by garrettendi »

I'm also getting non-studio related ads, though nothing that bad...
garrettendi
Frequent Poster

Post by Arpangel »

garrettendi wrote:I'm also getting non-studio related ads, though nothing that bad...

I’m getting all sorts, web space, adult sites, shares, in my side bar right now I have Zoom Live Track, Rode TF5, and cubewise an IBM business partner.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Generally the first two ads are SOS-related content and the third is generic.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24626 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by adrian_k »

Just to let you know (friendly feedback) I’ve un-whitelisted SoS on my phone, I found the ads that slide up from the bottom too distracting.

Was happy with the banner ads and sometimes clicked through as they were audio related, but the slidy up ones all seem to be for ebuyer or random stuff.

Leaving it whitelisted on my (Linux, Firefox) laptop.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2661 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.