Synth repairs

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Synth repairs

Post by MrJim007 »

I have a Roland Juno 106 that needs repairing and selling on, can any one recommend a good repairman in the south east. Im based in Brighton so the closer to there the better really! Cheers!
MrJim007

Re: Synth repairs

Post by jellyjim »

James Walker at Synth Repair Services is not local to you but comes with numerous recommendations

http://www.synthrepairservices.com/

He is horribly busy however.

I live down your way. Ask in GAK, they use to use a guy years ago who was pretty good.
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1680 Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am Location: uk
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Post by ramthelinefeed »

i live in Brighton and last week my Roland JX3P just packed in :frown:
I don't have a flightcase for it, so there's no way it's going up to James Walker in Stoke-on-Trent.... so I too was wondering who could do it closer to home.

I have used David Houlgate in Hassocks in the past, but he took about 11 million months to do the work.
I am getting a wee bit sick of repair jobs that take months, when the work is charged by the hour and you only get charged for 2 hours. I guess I'm just not famous enough to get to the front of the queue :frown:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2372 Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: UK
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! 

Post by ken long »

Cimple will do it. Turnaround 2-3 weeks. I've had some good experiences in the past.

ken

Feline, you got the PG programmer for the JX? I used to use that setup. Its an amazing synth.
ken long
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3513 Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:00 am Location: Somers Town
I'm All Ears.

Post by ramthelinefeed »

Are you sure Cimple will do vintage gear?
I've used them for my Akai in the past and they had comically bad customer service, which provided a quite classic thread on here at the time lol

I have a PG200 programmer, yeah. And the Inque MIDI upgrade. I still find the JX3P to be rather 'meh' though, but nonetheless I've no desire to throw it in the bin.....
the trouble is when u have JX3P's + programmer going for under £300, repair can become uneconomical...
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by vinyl_junkie »

Yeah it's an ok synth..the PG-200 for me is not realy needed cos the user interface is so simple imo, and so so so much better than my alpha juno which does need the PG.
I mainly use it for simple analogue strings, don't have the MIDI upgrade so it's a pain in the arse to use every time you turn it on hahah
I only paid 125GBP so if it broke down I dont think repair would be justified
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1571 Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:00 am Location: Kent, UK

Post by omvibes »

I've used KSR in south west London, close to the M25. Don't have their number with me, but google them, and you should find them. Quick turn around for stuff I've had with him. Oli
omvibes
Poster

Post by ramthelinefeed »

all Google could find me was KSR Skip Hire in Barnet.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by Mook »

Skip hire might be appropriate! :headbang:

Here ya go...

Tel: +44 (0) 20 8873 2044
kent_spong@hotmail.com
Mook
New here
Posts: 4 Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2002 12:00 am Location: Southampton

Post by ramthelinefeed »

Oh Kent Spong!
To be honest, I think his deluxe total-rebuild approach would be a little over-the-top for a clapped out old JX3P!
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by Kola »

You southeners want to think yourselves lucky.

Theres bot all as far as synth repairs go up here in the north east that I know of.
Kola
Regular
VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Post by fatbenelton »

Actually, us Northerners have probably got it better when it comes to repairs......

James Walker (Synth Repair Services)is in Stoke on Trent
Tony Allgood (Oakley Sound Systems) is in the Lakes near Carlisle.
NOT exactly on your door step but it's a lot closer to you than it is to somebody in London. I'm happy to have a top man with an hours drive of my house.....

I would say that these two guys are probably the top synth repairers nationally so we should feel sorry for the Southerners!
fatbenelton
Frequent Poster
Posts: 701 Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2002 12:00 am Location: Liverpool, UK
Jonny

Post by Kola »

Sorry mate but stoke on trent to me is way down south in the middlands somewhere.

Carlise is an option. Like all synth techs though they all take 6 months to do 2 hours work. I dont understand how there isnt a dedicated synth centre with a fast turn around time. You know like a proper business as opposed a man in his garage with a web site. There's obviously a market there hence the huge wait times.
Kola
Regular
VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Post by ken long »

feline1 wrote:Are you sure Cimple will do vintage gear?
I've used them for my Akai in the past and they had comically bad customer service, which provided a quite classic thread on here at the time lol

Perhaps, but they are (the only?) authorised akai repair centre in the UK. They also restored my SH101 and re-capped my 1200. But yes, I understand the concern regarding customer care.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Not good experience here with Cimple myself.

For all things Roland i would recommend Phil Delahaye near Milton Keynes:

http://www.delatronics.co.uk/

He's done my JD-800, JD-990, R-8M, SE-70, RE-501 and other bits and pieces for me over the years.
Mr Arkadin
Poster

Post by ken long »

Great link. Much better rates.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster
I'm All Ears.

Post by ramthelinefeed »

I was rather alarmed by the god-bothering lunacy on the Delatronics website, however.
As an evil homosexualist I prefer not to do business with people like that...I just want my synth fixed, not my morals recalibrated.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by vinyl_junkie »

Without getting into any arguments about religion or what ever does it really matter if you get your synth fixed by some fanatic religious dude? So what you are gay? He doesnt have to know and why should any one care? You can choose to ignore what he has written.

To be honest I find it a little unprofessional to stick such details on the website (Deltatronics) no matter how much you belive in what you preach, to be hones't it's just not done in my book...thats personal [ ****** ] nothing relevant on the Roland/Boss servicing stuff.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Post by ramthelinefeed »

vinyl_junkie wrote:You can choose to ignore what he has written.

Yes, or I can choose to take my custom elsewhere! I chose the latter. The End. :D
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by vinyl_junkie »

Lol fair enough..Whats wrong with you JX just out of interest?
And if you bin it I would be interested in that MIDI upgrade, is that the one where where when you turn the synth on it doesn't switch straight into omni mode every time and thus driving you crazy lol
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster