Your Recommended FireWire Adaptor Cards

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Your Recommended FireWire Adaptor Cards

Post by vegas71 »

As with OneWorld i bought just a cheapo firewire card and it works fine (i suppose i got lucky, i'm not too sure of the make, although i seem to remember i bought it from PC World, and the only one they appear to sell is made by Dynamode?)

1. FireWire Audio Device: : Edirol FA-66

2. Adaptor Make & Model: possibly Dynamode?

3. Card Format & Ports: PCI, 3

4. Adaptor Controller: VIA OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

5. Rating: Good

As this works absolutely perfectly with my Edirol FA-66, if i was to buy a new pc, could i just take this out of my current pc and put it in my new one, and have it continue to work well, or is there other factors to consider?
David
vegas71

Post by Marc 'Kundalini' »

Hi guys

I'm planning a Windows 7 PC DAW to incorporate my new MOTU Ultralite Mk3. I'll probably go with the Intel I7 860 or 920.

Any suggestions on a good combination of motherboard & PCI-FW card?
Marc 'Kundalini'

Post by basic channel »

1. FireWire Audio Device: Powercore Firewire

2. Adaptor Make & Model: ST Labs 2:1, from Maplins:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221528#Faq

3. Card Format & Ports: PCI Express, 2x 400 External, 1x 400 internal

4. Adaptor Controller: Texas Instruments

5. Rating: Excellent (so far - all crashes experienced with onboard Agere chip (Asus P5KE) have disappeared)
basic channel
Poster
Posts: 66 Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: Leicester, UK

Post by Martin Walker »

Marc 'Kundalini' wrote:Hi guys

I'm planning a Windows 7 PC DAW to incorporate my new MOTU Ultralite Mk3. I'll probably go with the Intel I7 860 or 920.

Any suggestions on a good combination of motherboard & PCI-FW card?

Hi Marc,

And welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

As you'll notice if you read the existing contents of this thread, it's the combination of Firewire card and audio interface that's important, rather than FW card and motherboard.

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by mjfe2 »

hi, just wanted to hijack this thread to ask about my mackie onyx 400f which i use with a blekin firewire pci port attached to an old pentium 4 beast (512mb RAM).

the latency in cubase reads 11 ms input and 20 ms output latency -- is this a generally acceptable length?

cheers!
mjfe2
Frequent Poster
Eastwood Records

Post by kenwyn »

Hi Guys

So I want to buy one of these cards and I am finding it hard to find a place to buy. I went to this site

http://www.stuff-uk.net/c-1384-firewire-cards.aspx

They start at 6 then go to 94 pounds. The maplin one quoted above is out of stock at the moment. Anyone have a link for any others already reviewed above.

kenwyn
Poster

Post by kenwyn »

P.S.

Would rather pay 6 pounds if poss :)
kenwyn
Poster

Post by kenwyn »

Thought I would post this link with the recommendations for the Focusrite range,

http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/en/var/attachments/Focusrite_IEEE_1394_compatibility.pdf

:)
kenwyn
Poster

Post by Basari Studios »

Interface: TC Impakt Twin
FW Controller: SIIG; http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/629062-REG/SIIG_NN_E38012_S3_FireWire_800_PCI_Express_x1.html
Chipset:TI XIO2213
Rating: EXCELENT!!!

Never had anything better in my life or any better configuration.
Working on 128 BS, no clicks, no dropouts, freezes or anything at all.
Basari Studios
Regular
Posts: 130 Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:00 am Location: NYC, NY, USA
10900k. ASUS Pro Art Z490

Post by GooGoo »

If I get a TI chipset card do I need drivers for Windows 7 64 bit or does Windows 7 sort all that out itself?? Thanks.
GooGoo
Poster

Post by tommygear »

1. FireWire Audio Device: TASCAM FW1884 (V183)

2. Adaptor Make & Model: Belkin Firewire 3 Port PCI Card (F5U503 Rev.S-3)

3. Card Format & Ports: PCI, 3 External Ports

4. Adaptor Controller: TI Chipset(1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller)

5. Rating: Very Good
tommygear
New here

Post by Dee »

Hi guys,

My head is spinning due to trying to get a compatible PCI firewire card and audio unit. I have a windows 7 64 bit system and I am looking for something that will be relatively hassle free with regards to drivers......
Dee
Regular

Post by sami12 »

I have an M-Audio FS410 bus powered and it connects to the PC by way of a cheapo USB/Firewire PCI card. DOn't know what the chipset is but the properties say VIA OHCI. My motherboard is an Intel - quite an old P4 board, but it keeps going!
<a href="http://www.downloadvlcplayer.net">vlc player download</a>
Last edited by sami12 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sami12

Post by Karmakoza »

1. FireWire Audio Device: MOTU Traveler

2. Adaptor Make & Model: LaCie FireWire 400 PCI Card

3. Card Format & Ports: PCI, 3x 400 external

4. Adaptor Controller: Texas instruments Chipset

5. Rating:
Excellent (achieves low latency with no clicks or pops)

I also have a Focusrite Liquid Mix 32 connected to my PC mobo's f/w port. This is also a Texas instruments Chipset. In my case, I used to get severe dropouts, crackles, Liquid Mix problems & system crashes. After a lot of frustration and experimentation I figured it out that the 2 firewire devices, although separate devices, were sharing the same bus! Looking at the schematic of my mobo in the manual, I was able to put the Lacie card in another PCI slot. Problem solved. I can now use both without problems.

BTW: I have a Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 mobo with intel i5 CPU running W7 32bit and Cubase 5
Karmakoza

Post by Dee »

Hi,

I am hoping I can get pointed in the right direction for a new soundcard. I think firewire will be best for me and have a budget of around £300 - preferably less considering my outlay over the past few months - put it this way, divorce proceedings could get underway soon :headbang:

I have a i7 running windows 7 64bit with 12gb ram - I currently am using a 0404 but bought a node nt2a and would like to go hook up.

My requirements would be this:

Connect the nt2a directly to soundcard via xlr

connect keyboard via 1/4 jack stereo

midi in and out

that's it......if there were a few extra connections then I'll not complain but that is my basic setup.

Any recommendations?

My motherboard is a Asus P6X58D-E intel X58 (socket 1366) - the spec says it has two firewire ports but I have no idea if these have the TI chipset.........basically, I don't really know what I'm talking about!! Therefore any advice, hints and/or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dee
Regular

Post by RonnieG »

Karmakoza wrote:1. FireWire Audio Device: MOTU Traveler

2. Adaptor Make & Model: LaCie FireWire 400 PCI Card

3. Card Format & Ports: PCI, 3x 400 external

4. Adaptor Controller: Texas instruments Chipset

5. Rating:
Excellent (achieves low latency with no clicks or pops)

I also have a Focusrite Liquid Mix 32 connected to my PC mobo's f/w port. This is also a Texas instruments Chipset. In my case, I used to get severe dropouts, crackles, Liquid Mix problems & system crashes. After a lot of frustration and experimentation I figured it out that the 2 firewire devices, although separate devices, were sharing the same bus! Looking at the schematic of my mobo in the manual, I was able to put the Lacie card in another PCI slot. Problem solved. I can now use both without problems.

Hmmm.
i have 3 PCI slots . 3 is empty 1&2 have firewire cards in. Liquid Mix in No 2 Presonus Firestudio mobile in No1 ) (no onboard firewire). Are you saying that there may be a possibility that the Pci slots in some combination or another (slot 1&2.. or 1&3 etc etc) could be using the same Buss? Hence me having real issues with a Liquid mix (on slot 2) continually dropping out.
Could it be worth (silly question!) me changing the slot combinations? (1& 3 ?)
RonnieG
Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Ronnie!

Have a read of this of this rather arcane PC Musician feature of mine entitled ‘The Musician's Guide To PCI Slots & Interrupts’:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may03/a ... an0503.asp

It will explain the intricacies of the Interrupt Request Table, which may be just what you need to know, as it determines how the various slots and other PCI devices share their interrupt resources ;)

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by RonnieG »

Thanks Martin
I've started a new thread for my questions to avoid thread hijack.... :blush:
RonnieG
Poster

Post by BenoMill »

thanks for the info, appriciate it.
BenoMill

Post by Metheny »

Dear all,

I have read the posts in this thread, please let me tell you about a problem I'm experiencing with this hardware:

Audio interface: Echo Audiofire 4
Laptop: Dell 1558, with built-in Ricoh firewire port and a Express Card expansion slot.

This Dell 1558 laptop has a Ricoh chipset, bad for audio production. The audio stops while using the ASIO driver.

I have purchased a Startech express card:
http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/FireWire/2-Port-ExpressCard-IEEE-1394-Firewire-Card~EC13942

But unfortunately, this card does not work with this laptop. Windows does not start because of a resource conflict. And trying to plug the card after Windows startup did not work too, the system does not detect the card and does not install the IEEE Texas Instruments driver.

I'm thinking of buying a second Express card (the following), but I'm afraid it won´t work. I have contacted the manufacturers, but they do not provide any information about compatibility.
http://www.delock.de/produkte/F_259_FireWire_61387/merkmale.html

Any ideas or feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Martin
Metheny
Poster