New office PC

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

New office PC

Post by Marbury »

Bit off topic but it is a business PC to deal with music admin etc ;-)

Anyway, as some of you may know I have been struggling with a Medion PC for the last 5 years for my business/internet use. I also use it for image editing. It is now slow and dogged with problems (too many to mention) and before the motherboard packs in I want to get a new one.

As I will be storing a lot of high quality images from my Photographic work, I need it to be pretty fast. I already have an excellent pro Dell monitor and good graphics card. I just need a very good system with good speed and plenty of storage. As I am currently working with XP home I am unfamiliar with Windows 7. I am also unsure how to port across all my settings (Google Chrome settings, automated memory of passwords etc) as well as other things like Outlook etc. I have recently cloned everything onto a new hard drive but the problems still persist. Of course I don't want to end up transferring a lot of problems to a new system.

I am looking to spend around £300 but I would appreciate any pointers to reliable types (AMD/Pentium) as well as a good quality build.

Are there any good deals at the moment ?

Thanks.
Marbury
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1089 Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: New office PC

Post by Bob Moose »

Hello,

At work I have a 500-euro Core 2 Quad / 8GB of RAM / Windows 7 standard PC that shows good DPC latency figures (typically 50-70 us, never above 150us) without any optimisation, moreover it's pretty silent. I use it mostly for software development.

It was built by Transtec. They make many different computers so I don't know which ones are good actually, and the one I use is of course no longer available.

Best,
-j
Bob Moose
Frequent Poster

Post by DragonLogos »

Exalted Wombat wrote:
DragonLogos wrote:AMD would be a better bet from a service point of view - W7 does not have outlook, which you only get now with the higher versions of Office - You can however download Thurnderbird from www.filehippo.com it works great and is almost fool proof and very easy to set up

No version of Windows has ever had Outlook. The bundled mail program used to be called Outlook Express, the current incarnation is called Live Mail. As mentioned, there are alternatives, including web-based mail interfaces.

W7 does not have outlook, which you only get now with the higher versions of Office

I am as you can see putting this in context of MS Office, I would think that the user might have been using Outlook Express, but other than assuming that this is the case there is no way of knowing that, which is why I used the closed probe and asked Outlook or Outlook Express

I would think that perhaps the difficulty Peter is referring to is with the Outlook Live, as Thunderbird is pretty easy to get on with, unless it is the course of action it takes to source the DBX (OE) or PST (MS Outlook) files
DragonLogos
Regular
Posts: 263 Joined: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:00 am Location: East London

Post by DragonLogos »

Importing Outlook Express

Well first off you need to find the folder were they are kept, normally it is Windows / Application data / Microsoft / outlook express - (Windows 98) or Documents and Settings / User Name / Local Settings / Application Data / Identities / Number / Microsoft / Outllok Express - Note that you might have to turn on hidden folder view if you have not done so - My Computer / Tools / Folder Options / View / change the option to show hidden files and folder - HOWEVER, if you had a network, or different OS there might be an identity folder, the easiest way to find were it is, is to do a search (or find if you have Win98) key in the word inbox and search the hard drive, after a while you will see were it is located, if there is more than one inbox, generally the biggest one is the one you have been using - Note when doing a search with XP you must have the option were it looks for hidden files and folders

Once you have found were it is, copy the folder to a CD or memory stick, paste it on the desktop of the new computer, if you used a CD, you will have to go into the folder and highlight all the files inside, then right click on the mouse and take off the read only files (WIN 98)

Then you can open the outlook express on the new PC, click on file, import, messages. Choose Microsoft outlook express 6 - Click next, click main identity, click ok, use the browse to find your folder on the desktop, click next and in they go, all you letters, inbox, drafts sent items etc..... Also don't forget your address book the file name extenstion for the address book is WAB and the outlook files (inbox sent items etc) are DBX so if you want to do a wildcard search / find you can look for *.wab

For Thunderbird it is much the same thing.... when dealing with MS Outlook you need to find the PST files (Personal Storage Table)

Thunderbird is very good at working out and doing the POP3 (Post Office Protocol) and SMTP (Simple Mail Transfer Protocol) - so all you really need is your user name and password... if you have a problem with the password there are a few proggies that can fish that one out for you

Note: POP is Point of Presence while POP2 is a programming language developed circa 1970
DragonLogos
Regular

Post by Exalted Wombat »

DragonLogos wrote:Importing Outlook Express

It can be a great deal easier to import stored mail into a different program when both are installed on the same computer. Transferring to the SAME program on a new computer is easier.

This also raises the question of whether a mail application's folders are suitable for long-term storage of ANYTHING. I know lots of people use them in this way. It frequently ends in tears.
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5812 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by DragonLogos »

Exalted Wombat

"It can be a great deal easier to import stored mail into a different program when both are installed on the same computer. Transferring to the SAME program on a new computer is easier"

Well seeing that Outlook Express is not on W7 that sort of rules that one out

Exalted Wombat

"This also raises the question of whether a mail application's folders are suitable for long-term storage of ANYTHING. I know lots of people use them in this way. It frequently ends in tears"

No it doesn't would you care to explain or retract
DragonLogos
Regular