SNR for Professional sound cards

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: SNR for Professional sound cards

Post by Folderol »

Simply moving the card to a different slot can make a lot of difference. Do you have a graphics card, or on-board graphics? If you have a graphics card then the sound card wants to be as far away from it as possible!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15535 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Martin Walker »

ef37a wrote:Lovely Martin but that is about 100quid more than the usb Saff6. Do you have a record/play noise figure for that please?

Sorry Dave - I wasn't sent that one for review, so it's not in my database :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 19419 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Martin Walker »

Folderol wrote:Simply moving the card to a different slot can make a lot of difference. Do you have a graphics card, or on-board graphics? If you have a graphics card then the sound card wants to be as far away from it as possible!

That certainly used to be true, but I haven't experienced any such inter-card interference for many years now - and remember, Lynx Audio cards offer some of the best audio quality around, and many of them sit inside your computer :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Post by ef37a »

Martin Walker wrote:
ef37a wrote:Lovely Martin but that is about 100quid more than the usb Saff6. Do you have a record/play noise figure for that please?

Sorry Dave - I wasn't sent that one for review, so it's not in my database :beamup:

Martin

Ok. In fact just quoting a bare figure for an AI (as against a line in only soundcard) is not all that useful I am thinking. Surely we need to know what the round trip noise is with a specific gain setting on the mic amps?

It would help greatly if manufacturers gave us an input figure, mV at max gain that produced 0dBFS?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14420 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by Martin Walker »

I think most audio interfaces have background noise levels specified for line level inputs - otherwise you’re only really testing the mic preamp :headbang:

And besides which, the noise levels would be a lot higher if the mic preamp was in the signal path, and would as you rightly say vary hugely dependong the current gain setting :beamup:

Marketing departments wouldn’t like this either ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Post by ef37a »

"Marketing departments wouldn’t like this either"

^ Yeah! Right! What about the point of a sensitivity figure for 0dBFS?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14420 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by sdancer75 »

Hi,

I use a PCI-express Nvidia external video card. The audiophile is plugged at the last PCI on M/B which is the biggest distance between those cards. Between them there is no other PCI card.

I don't know if the power cable across the cards is a problem. I have 4 fans in my M/B and the power cables are passed up and down from those cards.

Regards,
sdancer75
Regular

Post by James Perrett »

sdancer75 wrote:I
2. Using only the sound card (no input cables connected) I get around
-83dB.

Try shorting the input - noise will always be higher with an open circuit input.

James.
James Perrett
Posts: 12382 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi James,

I've always done with this for my background noise tests 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker