Introducing myself

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Introducing myself

Post by Powelly »

Afternoon all,

thought I'd just make a quick post to introduce myself and say 'Hi'.

I'm a Drummer by trade, based in Sheffield, where I offer Online Drum sessions from my studio.
But enough abot me :tongue:, any other northerners or online session players on the forum?

Cheers,
Powelly
New here
Live and Online Session Drummer - www.danpowelldrums.co.uk

Re: Introducing myself

Post by The Elf »

Sheffield born and bred here, and pro engineer/producer. Nice to meet another local! :D
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by nathanscribe »

Hmm, I was at the Fat Cat in Sheffield the other week - and a couple of others I forget the names of. Good beer. It was full of Morris dancers. The pub, not the beer. That would be weird. The trams were greatly appreciated after a light ale or two. :D
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1483 Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:00 am Location: Wakefield, for my sins.
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Post by Powelly »

If I had my way I'd drown all Morris dancers, but not in beer, that'd be a waste! :) Not that I want to come across as a psycopath in my first thread! :D

I'm a big fan of the fat cat, can be pricey tho. Anyone see any of the tramlines shows lsat weekend?
Powelly
New here
Live and Online Session Drummer - www.danpowelldrums.co.uk

Post by GaryM »

Powelly wrote:... any other northerners...

[Paul Hogan] 53° 23′ 1″ N isn't northern, now 56° 27′ 51″ N - that's northern![/Paul Hogan]
GaryM
Regular
Posts: 329 Joined: Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:00 am Location: Dundee, UK

Post by Jack Ruston »

Hey Dan.

Hi

Jack (Southern)
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Post by Blue Lizard »

Cleethorpes - that's a bit further north than Sheffield. And my recent ancestry traces from Scotland & the Faroe Islands.

I can cope with cold weather ;)
Blue Lizard
Regular
Posts: 165 Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cleethorpes, UK
"It's not pretty, also you can't dance to it." - Frank Zappa www.bluelizardstudio.com

Post by zenguitar »

Powelly wrote:If I had my way I'd drown all Morris dancers...

Allow me to introduce myself, a moderator here and a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

And only slightly teasing too. Morris Dancing could easily be classed as a martial art, those staves have crushed many a knuckle. As a drummer you really need to keep the use of your hands ;)

Andy :beamup:

PS, welcome to the SOS forums :lol:
zenguitar
Posts: 12558 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by DoItAgain »

zenguitar wrote: a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

:shock:
DoItAgain
Regular

Post by Kev Adams »

DoItAgain wrote:
zenguitar wrote: a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

PS hi Powelly!
Kev Adams
Regular
Posts: 169 Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 am Location: MK UK

Post by The Elf »

Kev Adams wrote:Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

+1

We should stop apologising for our culture. Is it really any sillier than a Maori Haka?
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20040 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Jack Ruston »

Yes.

Welcome to the forums, Dan.
Jack Ruston
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

The Elf wrote:
Kev Adams wrote:Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

+1

We should stop apologising for our culture. Is it really any sillier than a Maori Haka?

Most of the Morris dancers I know are fun to be around (and usually serious drinkers too). Also, when you see lumps of wood flying off the staves you know they mean business.

There's a guy I've seen quite a lot in the South East who is at least 6ft - and about the same circumference - a sort of grizzly bear. However, he has his hair tied in pigtails and wears a volumous pink nightie :) His stave is a length of scaffold pole :shock:

He often introduces groups, and they obviously all know him, although I don't think he is a member of any, but he knows all the moves and often slides in!

Long live the Morris Men (and women) Broadstairs folk festival would be poorer without them!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18204 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by DoItAgain »

Kev Adams wrote:
DoItAgain wrote:

Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

I was only kidding! We had Morris Dancers at our wedding as it happens as we wanted a very folksy wedding with a lot of traditional customs. They were excellent too :)
DoItAgain
Regular

Post by Kev Adams »

DoItAgain wrote:
Kev Adams wrote:
DoItAgain wrote:

I was only kidding! We had Morris Dancers at our wedding as it happens as we wanted a very folksy wedding with a lot of traditional customs. They were excellent too :)

Excellent. Sorry I went off on one, but I do get tired of people knocking morris. I know there's a lot of very poor (low energy, inaccurately danced) morris around, but the real deal is to be cherished.
Nice to have the affirmation from you others too.
I don't dance, but have been playing fiddle for my wife's side for many years.
Kev Adams
Regular
Posts: 169 Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 am Location: MK UK

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Powelly, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

You do seem to have stirred up a hornets nest with your comments about morris dancers though :headbang:

How to win friends and influence people eh? :bouncy:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20639 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Mixedup »

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forums. I was born and raised in the Gainborough/Lincoln area, not far from you: kind of 'level' with Sheffield, but usually considered to be East rather than North.
Mixedup
Frequent Poster
Posts: 4548 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Post by LRS »

The Elf wrote: +1

We'll see about that when we crush you lot at the rugby World Cup. :smirk:

Cheers
Graham
LRS
Regular
Posts: 143 Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: New Zealand

Post by . . . Delete This User . . . »

does North Wales count???

Cymru Am Byth

Hello, good evening and welcome to the forums, may your visits be useful and fun, for all concerned.

8-)
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster

Post by Bob Bickerton »

LRS wrote:
The Elf wrote: +1

We'll see about that when we crush you lot at the rugby World Cup. :smirk:

Cheers
Graham

Yes I can just imagine the English team dancing off with their hankies and bells in response to a Haka...................... might work when you think about, the All Blacks would be splitting their sides with laughter! probably take them half an hour to compose themselves...................

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5090 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand