Introducing myself

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Folderol »

The Elf wrote:
Kev Adams wrote:Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

+1

We should stop apologising for our culture. Is it really any sillier than a Maori Haka?

Most of the Morris dancers I know are fun to be around (and usually serious drinkers too). Also, when you see lumps of wood flying off the staves you know they mean business.

There's a guy I've seen quite a lot in the South East who is at least 6ft - and about the same circumference - a sort of grizzly bear. However, he has his hair tied in pigtails and wears a volumous pink nightie :) His stave is a length of scaffold pole :shock:

He often introduces groups, and they obviously all know him, although I don't think he is a member of any, but he knows all the moves and often slides in!

Long live the Morris Men (and women) Broadstairs folk festival would be poorer without them!
User avatar
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15529 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Re: Introducing myself

Post by DoItAgain »

Kev Adams wrote:
DoItAgain wrote:
zenguitar wrote: a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

:shock:

Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

I was only kidding! We had Morris Dancers at our wedding as it happens as we wanted a very folksy wedding with a lot of traditional customs. They were excellent too :)
DoItAgain
Regular
Posts: 119 Joined: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:00 am
 

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Kev Adams »

DoItAgain wrote:
Kev Adams wrote:
DoItAgain wrote:
zenguitar wrote: a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

:shock:

Oh come on! It's high time the English became cool about one of their national forms of dance. Done well, it is great to watch, even better to participate in, and Cotswold morris tunes in particular are the hidden gems of our musical culture.

I was only kidding! We had Morris Dancers at our wedding as it happens as we wanted a very folksy wedding with a lot of traditional customs. They were excellent too :)

Excellent. Sorry I went off on one, but I do get tired of people knocking morris. I know there's a lot of very poor (low energy, inaccurately danced) morris around, but the real deal is to be cherished.
Nice to have the affirmation from you others too.
I don't dance, but have been playing fiddle for my wife's side for many years.
User avatar
Kev Adams
Regular
Posts: 169 Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:00 am Location: MK UK

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Powelly, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

You do seem to have stirred up a hornets nest with your comments about morris dancers though :headbang:

How to win friends and influence people eh? :bouncy:

Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 19412 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Mixedup »

Hi Dan, and welcome to the forums. I was born and raised in the Gainborough/Lincoln area, not far from you: kind of 'level' with Sheffield, but usually considered to be East rather than North.
User avatar
Mixedup
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4526 Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridgeshire, UK

Re: Introducing myself

Post by LRS »

The Elf wrote: +1

We should stop apologising for our culture. Is it really any sillier than a Maori Haka?

We'll see about that when we crush you lot at the rugby World Cup. :smirk:

Cheers
Graham
LRS
Regular
Posts: 143 Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: New Zealand

Re: Introducing myself

Post by . . . Delete This User . . . »

does North Wales count???

Cymru Am Byth

Hello, good evening and welcome to the forums, may your visits be useful and fun, for all concerned.

8-)
. . . Delete This User . . .
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2319 Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:00 am

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Bob Bickerton »

LRS wrote:
The Elf wrote: +1

We should stop apologising for our culture. Is it really any sillier than a Maori Haka?

We'll see about that when we crush you lot at the rugby World Cup. :smirk:

Cheers
Graham

Yes I can just imagine the English team dancing off with their hankies and bells in response to a Haka...................... might work when you think about, the All Blacks would be splitting their sides with laughter! probably take them half an hour to compose themselves...................

Bob
User avatar
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4651 Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2002 12:00 am Location: Nelson, New Zealand

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Pete Kaine »

zenguitar wrote:
Powelly wrote:If I had my way I'd drown all Morris dancers...

Allow me to introduce myself, a moderator here and a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

Don't worry Powelly Zen's harmless now... he well calmed down once we had his bells snipped off.
User avatar
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3170 Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Re: Introducing myself

Post by zenguitar »

Pete Kaine wrote:
zenguitar wrote:
Powelly wrote:If I had my way I'd drown all Morris dancers...

Allow me to introduce myself, a moderator here and a former Morris Dancer (and not the only one here on the forums).

Don't worry Powelly Zen's harmless now... he well calmed down once we had his bells snipped off.

That was a foolish mistake...

The bells are an early warning system to stop Morris Dancers armed with big sticks sneaking up on you ;)

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 11844 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Pete Kaine »

zenguitar wrote:
The bells are an early warning system to stop Morris Dancers armed with big sticks sneaking up on you ;)

I've just had an idea for dealing with ASBO nutters... maybe we can build bells into Reebok Classics and Rockports?
User avatar
Pete Kaine
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3170 Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester
Kit to fuel your G.A.S - https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/pro-audio

Re: Introducing myself

Post by Guest »

Powelly wrote:thought I'd just make a quick post to introduce myself and say 'Hi'.

Hai Powelly. *wave*

Powelly wrote: any other northerners ... on the forum?


The Elf wrote:Sheffield born and bred here ... Nice to meet another local! :D

Aye. Me too.

Moved to Reading for university in 2005, and moved to Cambridge for university in 2008, however...

Don't intend to move back, but it is always very nice to return to the Yorkshire hills (e.g. when visiting family :)) They live a couple of kilometers from the Peak District, so it's quite a nice place to be.

p.s. I don't think there is anything wrong with Morris Dancing. It is entertaining and traditional. :) OK, I understand the jingly bells aren't for everyone.
User avatar
Guest
Post Reply