DIY question - using a transformer as an inductor

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

DIY question - using a transformer as an inductor

Post by zenguitar »

I've been looking at some guitar circuits (like the Gibson Varitone and LS6) and Wah pedals that use inductors. And it's not easy to source small inductors from 1/2 a Henry through 1.5H to 7H, but a lot of what I've read suggests using signal transformers like this as an inductor.

Of course, regular readers will know that I am in need of help, but specifically what I am asking is whether there is a simple method of calculating the inductance of the primary and secondary of a transformer like this. Everything thing I've found so far starts fine but then descends into gibberish... ie. 'You count the number of turns and wibbly wobbly bibbly bobbly bob, obviously'.

Maybe Hugh, Dave, Folderol, or one of the other smart guys here could help.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Re: DIY question - using a transformer as an inductor

Post by dmills »

Strap a small cap across it and find the resonant frequency by injecting the output of a signal generator through a few K ohms of resistor and watching the voltage across the transformer with a scope or high impedance audio millivolt meter, once you have found the resonant peak then apply

f = 1/(2 * Pi * sqrt(L*C)) with your known values for f and C to find the inductance, easy.

Moderators: Can we PLEASE have LaTex support on this forum, $$\math {2^2}&& works on the OU forums and is useful, it would be nice here as well!

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1533 Joined: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:00 am Location: High Wycombe, UK
Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Post by Folderol »

That's probably the only practical way to do it, but not a lot of help if you don't have a box full knocking around, and are looking up catalogues.

Might be worth contacting somewhere like Oxford Electrical Products explaining the situation and telling them what sort of inductance you need.

P.S.
In theory you could calculate it from the DC resistance and the impedance, but there is a slight problem. Impedance only really applies to a single frequency and they never say what frequency the impedance is measured at!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18178 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by grab »

The easy answer is "find someone with an LCR meter". :) If you were anywhere near me, I could lend you mine, but you're a bit far for that. (Own trumpet: I won it for "letter of the month" in EPE with a quick and accurate method of rescaling 0-1023 to 0-999, which you often want for reporting 10-bit ADC measurements on PICs and Atmels.)

Also be aware that it's not just primary and secondary inductances but also the effect of the transformerness (to avoid wibbly words), which will change the overall inductance depending on how the secondary is connected.

As Dan says, if you have a sig gen producing a sine wave and a meter that can do true RMS (i.e. not fixed at 50Hz like many multimeters that do AC), you can first work out the DC resistance, then put the sig gen on and work out the total impedance at some frequency. A quick bit of maths after that tells you the inductance. Incidentally, PC soundcard inputs and outputs will be good enough for producing a sine wave and metering to do this. Maths to be added later, although any decent electronics book should give you the sums for a potential divider where one side is an inductor or capacitor.
grab
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2417 Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK

Post by ef37a »

ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16517 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by zenguitar »

Many thanks guys, that link is a good candidate dave, thanks.

Folderol is on the money, I don't have the equipment or skills to make the measurements as described. But amongst my adventures online I did see reference to calculating from the DC resistance, impedance, and number of turns. And that's what I was hoping to find.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Folderol »

Hey guys, it's OK to call me Will :roll:
... especially as it's my name :D

see v
. . . . v
. . . . v
. . . . v
. . . . v
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by zenguitar »

OK Will :)

And thanks everyone for your help. I've been trawling t'interweb for assorted clues and struck lucky.

Someone who uses a number of Xicon 42TL series transformers has measured the inductance of several models in the series. And if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future and would find this useful, here they are...

42TL022 1.5K Ohms .56 Henry
42TL021 4K Ohms 1.5 Henry
42TL018 7K Ohms 2.6 Henry
42TL019 10K Ohms 3.75 Henry
42TL025 17K Ohms 6.4 Henry
42TL017 20K Ohms 7.5 Henry

All are available from Mouser UK and at far more attractive prices than the Kent Armstrong tone choke which is a very useful 1H but a scary £26.51.

An online LRC calculator will let me pick the capacitor and resistor values to get the right frequencies for each setting.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Howdy Doody Time »

Nice to see resolution. All's Will that ends Will.

:D
Howdy Doody Time
Frequent Poster
Posts: 806 Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:00 am Location: Huai Yai, Chon Buri, Siam
The only excuse we have for making music in the first place is to make it differently..vis-a-vis our own difference (Glenn Gould)

Post by Folderol »

Howdy Doody Time wrote: Nice to see resolution. All's Will that ends Will.

:D

{ahem} :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by wjmwpg »

zenguitar wrote:OK Will :)

And thanks everyone for your help. I've been trawling t'interweb for assorted clues and struck lucky.

Someone who uses a number of Xicon 42TL series transformers has measured the inductance of several models in the series. And if anyone stumbles across this thread in the future and would find this useful, here they are...

42TL022 1.5K Ohms .56 Henry
42TL021 4K Ohms 1.5 Henry
42TL018 7K Ohms 2.6 Henry
42TL019 10K Ohms 3.75 Henry
42TL025 17K Ohms 6.4 Henry
42TL017 20K Ohms 7.5 Henry

All are available from Mouser UK and at far more attractive prices than the Kent Armstrong tone choke which is a very useful 1H but a scary £26.51.

An online LRC calculator will let me pick the capacitor and resistor values to get the right frequencies for each setting.

Andy, a decade has past but I just found this post and it made my day - thanks!

Long-shot question - would you happen to know if these measurements were made using only the primary as an inductor, or running through the primary and secondary in series?
wjmwpg
Posts: 2 Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by zenguitar »

Hi wjmwpg,

Glad you found this vintage topic useful.

A decade is a LONG time !! So it isn't easy to recall, but my gut instinct is that the figures are for using the Primary as an inductor. However, it's difficult to be sure. Since my original post I've switched from Windows PCs to Apple Macs so I can't even track down the post I was quoting.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by BigRedX »

zenguitar wrote:Hi wjmwpg,

Glad you found this vintage topic useful.

A decade is a LONG time !! So it isn't easy to recall, but my gut instinct is that the figures are for using the Primary as an inductor. However, it's difficult to be sure. Since my original post I've switched from Windows PCs to Apple Macs so I can't even track down the post I was quoting.

OoI did you ever use this to produce the relevant inductors?

One of the problems I've come across is that nearly all the schematics for Gibson guitars and basses with varitone controls available on the internet give part numbers rather than values for the inductors which doesn't help if you are trying to build your own circuit.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Post by zenguitar »

I ordered parts but never got around to building a circuit. I've had a trawl through my old data.

Here's more detail on the inductance of the various transformers.

And I found this old schematic with inductor values if that helps.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by wjmwpg »

:o Extremely helpful! Thanks Andy! :bouncy:
wjmwpg
Posts: 2 Joined: Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:16 pm Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada