Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads: Update

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads: Update

Post by Mike Senior »

About six months ago I posted to let people know about an on-line library of free multitrack downloads I'd put together for people use for mixing practice. Since then, there've been quite a few developments, so I figured it might be time to post an update, so here's a quick summary of where things are:
  • There are now more 50 projects listed, covering a wide range of musical styles -- including more than 20 of the songs I've remixed for the 'Mix Rescue' column.
  • Almost all the projects are now provided in full-length versions -- previously most of the projects were only 30-second excerpts on account of web-space restrictions.
  • All of the files are in uncompressed WAV format at 44.1kHz, without any mix processing or effects -- just the raw multitracks, in other words.
  • There are MP3 previews provided alongside each listing so that you can get an idea of what to expect before downloading.
Here's the link: Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads

Many thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this resource. I'm continuing to add further projects on a rolling basis (so far about five a month), and further contributions/links are always welcome. Have fun with them!
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1083 Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK

Young Griffo 'Facade' (Mix Rescue October 2011): Multitracks Uploaded

Post by Mike Senior »

Just a quick heads-up to say that the raw multitracks for October 2011's Mix Rescue are now available if you fancy trying your hand at a remix of your own. Here's the link:

Young Griffo 'Facade' Multitracks
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Re: Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads: Update

Post by Jamsci67 »

Thanks heaps Mike, i'm new to this thread but my students love working with your stuff. Great work. Keep it up. :)
Jamsci67

Post by Mike Senior »

Jamsci67 wrote:Thanks heaps Mike, i'm new to this thread but my students love working with your stuff. Great work. Keep it up. :)

No problem. I always cursed the lack of such things when I did some teaching, so I'm glad to improve matters! :D
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Post by MonkeySpank »

This hardly needs to be said but I'll say it anyway: this is a fantastic resource, Mike. Thank you so much.

I'm a not-so-gifted amateur, frequently asked to make silk purses out of sows' ears. Learning via these projects will help me no end.

Thanks again.
MonkeySpank
Regular
Posts: 161 Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 12:00 am Location: Belfast, Northern Ireland
Spanky

Post by Mike Senior »

Thought it was worth posting another update here, because there's been another big increase in the number of multitracks listed -- we're up to about 85 full-length multitrack projects now! These include:
Should provide plenty to get your teeth into! :)

Also, if you want to stay up to date with continuing additions to the library, but don't fancy keeping your eye on this thread, I've also set up a dedicated mailing list for this purpose.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Post by DaleSmith »

Mike.

thanks for this. I'll post a link to another such resource, which is entirely Heavy Metal.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/515941-list-raw-songs-our-mixing-practice.html

Hope this is OK and doesn't break any inter forum rules.

:D
DaleSmith
Regular
Posts: 261 Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 am Location: Hull, UK

Post by Mike Senior »

DaleSmith wrote:thanks for this. I'll post a link to another such resource, which is entirely Heavy Metal.
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/515941-list-raw-songs-our-mixing-practice.html
Hope this is OK and doesn't break any inter forum rules.

No rules broken, I don't think, and that whole forum is quite a good resource for multitracks -- www.mixoff.org is also a good one, and more genre-neutral. The main problem I have with surfing either of those forums for multitracks is that the download links so often seem to be broken or timed out, and even when they're live they're often hosted on sendspace or megaupload so the download takes ages. This is why I often approach people who post stuff for mixoffs about hosting their tracks more permanently on my site -- in fact, two of the metal multitracks in my listings were originally ultimate metal mixoffs. We're still a bit low on metal productions, so it might be time for me to do another trawl there! :)
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Post by DaleSmith »

Mike.

your absolutely right regarding the reliability of the downloads. The guys on there try to encourage everyone to use Dropbox, but yeah, some of the older stuff can have dead links etc.

The other issue is the technical ability of the musicians. Some of the tracks realistically would need parts re-recording. The 2 you have uploaded here where very popular on the ultimate metal forum, and where good quality recordings.

Thanks again for putting this together. Its great for those of us that don't have bands to work with at the minute.

:)
DaleSmith
Regular
Posts: 261 Joined: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:00 am Location: Hull, UK

Post by RegressiveRock »

Mike

This is fantastic. I'm gonna play in your sandbox as soon as I've finished the set up on my new iMac.

Thanks a ton.

Reg
RegressiveRock
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1495 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Buntingford, Herts

Post by bernie33 »

Is there also such a web site dedicated to electronic music?
especially ambient and lounge. I used to download it from mp3.com, but was ages ago.
bernie33
New here

Post by sthum »

Thank you so much for this Mike! Your hard work is very much appreciated!

Sthum......

sthum
Regular