Your Recommended Free PC Software

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Your Recommended Free PC Software

Post by shufflebeat »

Marjeda wrote:I downloaded this freeware sampler the other day, and seems decent so far

http://www.tx16wx.com/

There seems to be a lot of chat about this. I've d/l 'd it but haven't had time to play. Post back with your thoughts if you can.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9101 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Marjeda »

I haven't spent much time with it myself really.

I've just switched over from using Ableton Live onto Cockos Reaper and needed a sampler and came across this.

All I've really done is load a few vocal samples and had a quick play, so don't really have anything much to contribute just yet.

But from the little I've used it, it seems to do the same sort of functions that I was using Ableton's 'Sampler' for.

And the website says that a future update will bring alongside the freeware version a professional version that will provide a few more extra features, but that takes it into 'Budgetware' rather than freeware but I think I'll be happy to pay a little bit for something I'm making use of.
Marjeda
Poster

Post by full circleltd »

Hi everyone,

Nice post for sharing with us and share your views/ information.
full circleltd

Post by OneWorld »

Marjeda wrote:I downloaded this freeware sampler the other day, and seems decent so far

http://www.tx16wx.com/

Seems a good little sampler, really easy to setup and use, intuitive interface. I use Kontakt 5, which is great, if you live to a 101 to get your head round it.

I also have Gigastudio GVI, which is great too, but of course TASCAM ditched Gigastudio users, and that too was a very easy GUI to understand, and TX16 seems just as easy.
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Scope »

Presonus Studio One
A fab free sequencer for Mac & PC.
Comes with a rompler. & a "get you started" library for the synth and numerous instrument and drum loops.
The PC version rompler can access sound fonts - so there is an unlimited library out there, all for free.

There are higher versions offering more features @a £££.
But for sheer fun for free, studio one gets my vote
(& I am a long term cubase & logic user !!)
Scope
Frequent Poster

Post by Shonn Frank »

IDK..Is it just me? I have a hard time with free plugins. I think it's because I'm old (40 :shock:) and I'm stuck thinking BEFORE the renaissance of computers when there was a canyon between professional/acceptable gear and non-professional/ "cheap" stuff and forget about free! lol

It's the old "you get what you pay for" mentality, where you're thinking there's no way some shmuck can throw a compressor together that can rival these million dollar companies who can pay top programmers and collaborate with engineers and designers and have access to vintage gear and all that.

I know there are plenty of reasons why I'm wrong to think this way. I'm also a sucker for a cool GUI. idk

Although, when the freebie is from a bonafide developer with those resources, and I can understand that they are showcasing their stuff..my mind acts more inviting.

For example:
Camel Crusher by Camel Audio (thumbs up)
Shonn Frank
Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

Tokyo Dawn Labs Feedback Compressor II is in beta for both Mac & PC now. Bit of a resource hog, so more suited to mastering or occasional use in a mix - not something for every channel! - but it offers things most other dynamics plug-ins (whatever the price) don't and sounds superb.
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by annaangel »

VlC
annaangel

Post by OneWorld »

Marjeda wrote:I haven't spent much time with it myself really.

I've just switched over from using Ableton Live onto Cockos Reaper and needed a sampler and came across this.

All I've really done is load a few vocal samples and had a quick play, so don't really have anything much to contribute just yet.

But from the little I've used it, it seems to do the same sort of functions that I was using Ableton's 'Sampler' for.

And the website says that a future update will bring alongside the freeware version a professional version that will provide a few more extra features, but that takes it into 'Budgetware' rather than freeware but I think I'll be happy to pay a little bit for something I'm making use of.

Came across what?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

Matt Houghton wrote:Tokyo Dawn Labs Feedback Compressor II is in beta for both Mac & PC now. Bit of a resource hog, so more suited to mastering or occasional use in a mix - not something for every channel! - but it offers things most other dynamics plug-ins (whatever the price) don't and sounds superb.

The latest version of this one is much less resource-intensive now.

Also to add to the list (if I haven't missed them in this thread) are Vladg's Molot compressor and Limiter No6. They're both superb — alongside the Tokyo Dawn Labs one, these are probably the best freeware dynamics plug-ins I know of, and much better than many (and arguably most...) commercial plug-ins. Learning to get the best from them can take a while — but there's a button on the bottom to give you English instead of Russian labels, which helps.

Vladg Limiter No6
Vladg Molot
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by Bluesman979 »

Analogue X do a few useful free tools..

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio.htm

Including Vocal remover, Audio Arpeggiator, HDD-time remaining, a delay calculator etc etc

HTH
Bluesman979

Post by Marjeda »

OneWorld wrote:
Marjeda wrote:I haven't spent much time with it myself really.

Came across what?

The freeware sampler I put a link to a few posts up.

Anyways here's another couple of freeware plugins that I've tried and work well for me as they're pretty simple.

http://www.klanghelm.com/index.html
Marjeda
Poster

Post by bins »

I really like the FireBird 2 synth:

http://www.tone2.com/html/firebird_vsti_vst_synthesizer_1.html

....it sounds great and you can get some really varied sounds.

Great round up list of 2013 VST's here (Firebird comes in at No. 3):

http://bedroomproducersblog.com/2013/12/26/top-20-free-vst-plugins-best-2013/

:)
bins
New here

Post by bigcat1969 »

Hope its OK to mention here, list of free instruments.
http://bigcatlists.blogspot.com/2014/05 ... -type.html
bigcat1969
New here

Post by Martin Walker »

Hi Joe,

I don't see why not - it's a good list too! 8-)

You might want to change the entry from Alchemy to Alchemy Player though (only the Player version is 'free' ;) )

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Zack Burnet »

I have used Dr Drum Beat Maker !
Zack Burnet
New here

Post by Martin Walker »

Zack Burnet wrote:I have used Dr Drum Beat Maker !

So you have, but you've posted a link to your blog, and if you subsequently make your way to the DrDrum website itself, you'll find that it's currently only $29.95, and therefore not freeware.

Sorry!

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by John_Meekins »

Free PC Software:

Hotstepper
Musink Lite
LMMS
Hydrogen
MIDI FISH

VSTs:

Osiris-XT
SIKA Oriental Scale
Stringer
Synth1
John_Meekins
I got Beats For Sale on www.johnmeekins.com

Post by tea for two »

http://lesitedeburnie.free.fr/lalistedeburnie1-en.html

8 pages : 170 synths

Page 1
Mono synths for leads and bass lines
String synths for pads
Page 2
Analogue sounding poly synths 
Page 3
Synths with techno/trance sounds
Synths for soundesign/ambient/atmosphere
Page 4
Cold and metallic sounding synths
FM synths
Hybrid synths that are not in other categories
Wavetable synths
Phase distorsion synths
Phase modulation synths
Phase morphing synths
Physical modeling synths
Page 5
Step sequencers
Synths for noise
Workstations
Absurd machines
Page 6
Emulations of acoustic and electric instruments :
- Electronic organ
- Electric piano
- Theremin
Sample based emulations :
- Acoustic piano
- Mellotron
- Traditional instruments
- Various intruments
Page 7
Bundles 
- Elektrostudio
Page 8
Commercial virtual instrument bargains
- Synthesizers
- Soundbanks
- Virtual drummers and bassists
Magazineware
- The CM studio

" This list of freeware... is the result of many and long researches, after testing around one thousand intruments.
You will probably think that some instruments, that you like to use in your music, are missing, but there is a reason for that : the only criterion of this list is the musical quality, the beauty of sound. ....

this list is the result of my own choice, necessarily subjective, and open to criticism, like anyone's list... But it remains a unique list, because I hope that the level of quality is high..."
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Post by sig-ex »

I've relied constantly on these. They're really good and reliable for what they do and are fairly updated.

MuseScore
Best free music notation software in my opinion.

Sekaiju
Minimal but advanced/dedicated MIDI editor. (Windows only)

Plogue sforzando
Enables you to play many nice SFZ sample libs. Free alternative to Cakewalk's SFZ plug-ins.

Audacity
Been using this for over a decade. Very well known & no need to explain :D.

Wavosaur
Supplement audio editor to Audacity. (Windows only)

Mp3gain
So you don't have to change the volume when your media player changes track. Not as updated, but doesn't have to be because it has a very well defined function. (Windows only)
sig-ex
New here
Signal Experiments
http://sig-ex.com