Project Ukulele

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Project Ukulele

Post by Moroccomoose »

Project Uke back in the 'latest posts' Yay!!!...... Oh, Its just a bump! booo!

Here is another bump :lol:

Zen? any news. Hoping it is just a weather thing! We're all on tender hooks, waiting for the next instalment!!
Moroccomoose
Regular
Posts: 473 Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:00 am Location: Leicester

Post by lukeandrewhill »

Tenterhooks...
lukeandrewhill
Regular
please make it all simple.

Post by Frisonic »

Last I heard (in another thread) Zen was still trying to be zen like in his emotional response to a second piece of pheasant wood not behaving itself. And it's still too cold for the workshop. Soon guys, soon....
Frisonic
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2951 Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 am Location: Refugee currently in transition.
Still strictly project but lately on the run.

Post by zenguitar »

Yep... I've been sulking :)

The uke that suffered from a split back twice before has, you've guessed it, split again!!! So after all that work trying to save a beautiful piece of wood, the underlying problem is that the it was too beautiful for it's own good.

I was in the room with it a couple of times when it split. Quite scary how loud the crack was!! So, the decision has been made to get a replacement back. It has to be pheasant wood to match the sides, and I have to get a full set of bindings and purfling strips for the back stripe, braces, back re-inforcement strip.

So, a big job ahead. And as I have to get materials from a couple of suppliers in the USA, I'm looking at getting a full set of woods for a Baritone Uke at the same time. Yep, glutton for punishment :)

That still leaves the well behaved uke to finish. So in the next week or so I'll make a start on final polishing, then fit the tuners, mark out the saddle slot, rout it, and fit the saddle. And then that one will be finished at long last.

And thanks everyone. I really haven't minded the problems, if anything they make the project more interesting and you always learn more from solving them than when things go smoothly. But things would have gone a lot smoother and quicker had I had a proper workshop and that has been a frustration and, frankly, a little depressing too.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12552 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by yelemusic »

Hi Zen, you there? Everything alright? Another two months have passed, and no Uke-news. I'm starting to think you might have lost interest in finishing those two gorgeous Ukes! Please don't give up! You're doing a wonderful work!
And I love following this thread! :lol:
yelemusic
Poster

Post by zenguitar »

Thanks yelemusic.

I got caught up finishing some other projects to clear the bench. But that's almost finished now. Just got to finish servicing a mixer for my brother. But I did receive the Uke strings last week so I should be making a start next week.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Folderol »

:)
I guess Spring finally deciding to turn up helps as well!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18168 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Goddard »

Good to hear that! Watched a great uke docu (Canadian film) recently and had got to wondering what was happening with your project.
Goddard
Frequent Poster

Post by Frisonic »

I saw that too. Very inspiring (and it made me too think of Andy's fledgling ukes there in Devon, just waiting to get out there and be heard)!
Frisonic
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2951 Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:00 am Location: Refugee currently in transition.

Post by yelemusic »

zenguitar wrote: Just got to finish servicing a mixer for my brother.

You're a man with many talents!

Good to hear everything's good, and the Ukes are on the way again :)
yelemusic
Poster

Post by Folderol »

He's a man of many parts... most of them still moving :D
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by zenguitar »

And, at last, finally got started today.

Nothing of any photographic interest. But with the bench cleared I could start on some general tidying up in readiness for flat sanding.

The fret ends were a little rough to the touch, possibly due to some very slight shrinkage of the fretboard. So I carefully stoned them flush and reshaped the fret ends with a triangular file.

Next job was to make a start cleaning up the bridge. In wiping on the shellac with a pad there is a build up of shellac on the sides and edges of the bridge. So rather than risk marking the polished front it was better to carefully clean things up first.

It's mostly done now. But I'll go over it again with finer grades tomorrow to be sure.

Then it's out with the 2000 grit wet & dry and olive oil.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by zenguitar »

Oh, just for the record, I've hidden Ruth's Uke in my hardcase. Out of sight, out of mind. But I am already working on the long term solution.

A new back will be ordered, together with the purflings for the back stripe, braces, back strip, bindings and purflings, and the new back will be jointed, thicknessed, braced, and fitted.

But the old back will be framed, complete with back-lit LED lighting to highlight the cracks, and labelled as the Pheasant Wood Ukulele Back of Doom.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Frisonic »

zenguitar wrote: the old back will be framed, complete with back-lit LED lighting to highlight the cracks, and labelled as the Pheasant Wood Ukulele Back of Doom.

Have the Arts Lottery Fund been informed yet? Sounds like one for the Tate... Perfect for the one in St Ives, don't you think?
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Post by zenguitar »

Flatted the finish on the back and neck this afternoon. Went very smoothly too. Used 2000 grit wet & dry lubricated with olive oil. You can see the saucer of olive oil in the background. Then cleaned up with white spirit and paper towels.

Now I know what to expect the sides and front shouldn't take too long either. Then I'll make a start on polishing with the rottenstone.

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Folderol »

Ahhhhhhhhh!

That's all :D
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Post by zenguitar »

Yes!! Front and sides finished too.

All flatty smoothy and Mmmmmm...

In an ideal world I would be making a Rottenstone concoction tomorrow. But it's the village carnival this weekend and I have belatedly discovered that I need to provide a costume. So tomorrow I will be... panicking.

But, hey!. you got a picture to look at. What more do you want?

zenguitar
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Frisonic »

The sun is shining again!
Frisonic
Frequent Poster

Post by yelemusic »

It doesn't take much to make people happy :)
yelemusic
Poster

Post by Madman_Greg »

Sod the Uke, we need costume pics with you wearing it.
Madman_Greg
Frequent Poster
Posts: 534 Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:00 am Location: The back of beyond
Madman_Greg