OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

Post by Nannie Braz »

It's nice to know, Very useful..thank you for the post! :)
Nannie Braz

Post by alexis »

James Perrett wrote:Windows XP is legitimately available as OEM software provided it is sold with hardware - hence the odd reference to hardware in that listing.

James.

I'm speccing a pre-built DAW from a reputable company ... the included Windows 7 is "OEM" ... is that anything I should be concerned about/ try to change?

Thanks!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3823 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by James Perrett »

I wouldn't have thought that would be a problems as the company building your computer are a proper OEM - exactly the sort of people that Microsoft intend the OEM version to be sold to.

First line support should come from the DAW maker rather than Microsoft themselves.
James Perrett
Posts: 14250 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by alexis »

James Perrett wrote:I wouldn't have thought that would be a problems as the company building your computer are a proper OEM - exactly the sort of people that Microsoft intend the OEM version to be sold to.

First line support should come from the DAW maker rather than Microsoft themselves.

Great, thank you, James!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3823 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by Scramble »

alexis wrote:I'm speccing a pre-built DAW from a reputable company ... the included Windows 7 is "OEM" ... is that anything I should be concerned about/ try to change?

This is standard with companies that custom-build computer and DAW systems, and I'd be suspicious if they weren't using an OEM version.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by stewartjames008 »

OEM (original equiment manufacturer) Music software easy to work with, and when included with your hardware, provide your customers with everything they need to start recording and making music. It is the Best mixing music software.
stewartjames008
New here

Post by KsJohn »

Good work...enough said!!! don't fall for cheap products ....reliability is all matters.. thnx for the post!!!
KsJohn
Poster
http://www.analogmix.com/
::.ANALOG ONLINE MIXING...to make your music spellbinding.:

Post by OneWorld »

I thought I was safe buy applying the wisdom "If it sounds too good to be true it is" So, some years ago now, I paid £100 for Reason 5, which I thought was a reasonable price for used software. I received it and all I got for my £100 was a white label cracked CD in a plastic sleeve, total cost have been about £1.00 including postage.

So next time I bought used software, it was Cubase 4, I asked for confirmation that it came with the official USB dongle, boxed and with the registration card, the seller assured me yes yes yes, and took £120 off me - what I received was a cracked copy, in a plastic sleeve and the darned thing was so scratched it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I only ever buy from retailers or manufacturers, and in fact considering the cost of upgrades which are on the whole reasonable, I think it works out cheaper!
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by Scramble »

These days it's pretty easy to get eBay to refund you in such cases. (Assuming you're buying from eBay... bit tougher if you're not!).

But it's always been the case that when you buy things like a used copy of Cubase or Reason or similar, you need to see photos of everything... if there are no pics then assume if doesn't exist. (Of course photos can be faked, but generally if there are photos then the likelihood that everything is legit is far higher).

Not that I've ever bought used software from eBay, but I know people who have that have, and it's always been fine, but they never buy unless there are photos.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Post by OneWorld »

Scramble wrote:These days it's pretty easy to get eBay to refund you in such cases. (Assuming you're buying from eBay... bit tougher if you're not!).

But it's always been the case that when you buy things like a used copy of Cubase or Reason or similar, you need to see photos of everything... if there are no pics then assume if doesn't exist. (Of course photos can be faked, but generally if there are photos then the likelihood that everything is legit is far higher).

Not that I've ever bought used software from eBay, but I know people who have that have, and it's always been fine, but they never buy unless there are photos.

it was MugTree and, sorry to say it.....one was SOS Reader's Ads, but am wiser after the fact. I have to add, I have done quite a number of transactions on SOS and in every other case the experience has been flawless, good honest folk, the staff of Life!
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by jollyon »

Thanks for the info Martin
jollyon
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm Location: London

Post by Arpangel »

hollowsun wrote:
DaleSmith wrote:The amount of people doing it on ebay is amazing. I thought they would have tighter rules on this kinda thing.

You seem to be under the impression that eBay actually give a sh!t. They don't!

Impudent wastrels sell my free sound library stuff on the Bay of E claiming it to be their own work ... and eBay couldn't give a toss and you have to leap through hoops and suck pebbles through a straw to prove your copyright. It takes so bloody long that the feckers have long gone by the time eBay start to take notice by which time it's too late.

And when it happens again, you have to start all over again!

As long as eBay get their sales commission, they couldn't care less! Image

I stopped using EBay many years ago, it's just a bad place, I'd rather miss out on something than use that site, if you sell you feel as though you've been mugged for fees, if you buy you're not sure if you're dealing with a fraudster.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster