Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by alexis »

I'd want a few hard copies to place strategically in the studio, give to family/friends, etc., with my name front and center! I don't suppose SOS could have a few copies of the corrected title page printed up? It could then be displayed with each page loose (in a laminated binder, e.g.,), and the SOS "fix" wouldn't have to involve re-binding the entire issue.

Just a thought, probably not a good one, but that's how one thinks when they're not famous like that! :-)
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3821 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by robinv »

alexis wrote:I'd want a few hard copies to place strategically in the studio, give to family/friends, etc., with my name front and center! I don't suppose SOS could have a few copies of the corrected title page printed up? It could then be displayed with each page loose (in a laminated binder, e.g.,), and the SOS "fix" wouldn't have to involve re-binding the entire issue.

Just a thought, probably not a good one, but that's how one thinks when they're not famous like that! :-)

I usually put my name on masking tape over other people's articles so i'm used to that :)
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Synths, modular, software, Surface and weird noises.
https://linktr.ee/moltenmodular

Post by ezza »

ezza wrote:I couldn't read the whole article but I got as far as the clean install part.

If you want a clean install you can do it without purchasing a license. You have to upgrade your PC with the Windows 10 upgrader first. This registers your hardware with Microsoft. After that you can do a fresh install from a DVD or USB drive and you PC will authorize automatically.

Once you are sure that you don't want to go back to the previous OS you can recover a substantial chunk of disk space by deleting it. Instructions here:

http://hothardware.com/news/clean-up-and-recover-storage-spa...

Well worth doing if you are using a small SSD system drive.

Bought my copy at the weekend and can now see that you covered my points :-) Great article - very useful.
ezza
Regular

Post by ezza »

ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.
ezza
Regular

Post by ef37a »

ezza wrote:
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16448 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by alexis »

ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:

Dave.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3821 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by The Elf »

alexis wrote:
ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:

Dave.

Dave.

Image first!

+99!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by ezza »

After the upgrade your old Win 7 install is backed up in a folder on your C drive. You can revert back to it if you don't want to stay on Win 10. (I think it's an option if you boot into the advanced options with F8 on start-up).

However, I have not done it myself so I can't vouch for how well it works. As ever, in these situations, Google is your friend!
ezza
Regular

Post by ezza »

Or, indeed... and better still... image you drive and restore from that.
ezza
Regular

Post by t_track »

Logged in after many years of just browsing this forum to +1.
Most definitely IMAGE FIRST.

Tony
t_track

Post by ramthelinefeed »

ef37a wrote:

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2372 Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: UK
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! 

Post by The Elf »

feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:

...and tigers, obviously... :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19938 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.