Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by ef37a »

The Elf wrote:
feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Nothing to fear except fear itself... :angel:

...and tigers, obviously... :D

Well, thank you for those well reasoned, well presented replies!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 16449 Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am Location: northampton uk
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Post by zenguitar »

The Elf wrote:
feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

... sharks too :D

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by alexis »

Dear Mods/Masters of the Universe :) ... wondering if a link to Robin Vincent's excellent article (referenced in the OP) might be well-placed as a sticky at least for a while?
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3825 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by zenguitar »

As the first post contains the link, easier to make this thread sticky.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12507 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by Wonks »

Everyone's forgetting large hairy spiders that are running towards you...
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17005 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote:
feline1 wrote:
ef37a wrote:

Dave.

Is this why Apple names its OSs after big cats, to imbue us with fear!
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by CS70 »

robinv wrote: <a href="/sos/nov15/articles/windows10.htm" target="_blank">http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov15/a ... s10.htm</a>

I hope this article might be useful to some people here. I put a lot of time into getting the information right and speaking to the right people at Microsoft about it. Solid information can be hard to find so hopefully this is helpful to the conversation.

Cheers
Robin

Since nobody seems to have said it (but I'm sure everyone thinks it ): well done, very good article and it is actually convincing me to give W10 a try (on my new build, not on the laptop).

Great job.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by awjoe »

I don't think I know how to do it. What drivers do I need to make sure about? Interface, check. Video monitor will be taken care of automatically? What else? Will plugins that run on Win 7 run on Win 10? I hate this stuff cuz I don't understand it, but I think I'm going to do it.
awjoe
Jedi Poster
Chronologically blessed.

Post by ef37a »

I now have W10 on the "second best" music PC. Bit of a long winded process but no glitches.

A day or so ago I downloaded (on a W7 machine!) the W10 drivers for my NI KA6 and burned them to a DVD. Finding "Computer" in 10 was tricky but then I found the DVD drive and ran the drivers.

No sweat, just did the bizz and on connecting the AI it was found and worked straight off the bat. I then left it running all day on Radio 3 and it never missed a beat. After about 3 hours there was a "ClangWhooshe" sort of sound. I found "Banner Sounds" and turned them all off. No more clang.

I find ten bloody awful to be frank, almost nothing is the same or where it was in 7 and this PC will hardly ever be used except for curiosity. I shall certainly resist putting what someone descried as "Windows 7 with a tablet bolted on" on any of my other computers.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Lostfollicles »

Hi guys! I wanted to start a new thread but not sure of how to do that so apologies for tramping on anyone's feet!

There have been many discussions regarding Win 10 upgrades and possible future problems with Win 10 drivers supporting "Or not" hardware "Old and new" etc...etc... Indeed I had many problems with my Line 6 UX2 when I tried Win 7 on a new hard drive on my old Asus P4P800 as the UX2 would simply not work properly! The Asus P4 MB not good enough to run sataII drive it seemed or run Win 7 without seriously slowing down just about everything making it a total pain to use, so I have relegated that computer to stay on XP which runs flawlessly-ish!
One of the questions I want to ask you guys is: - Is there a non bloated version of Win 10 available??
I only want to use my computer as a DAW music making device, of course all software has to have an OS but I really don't want all the usual bloat and resource using windows crap that normally go's with an windows install!
Also recently I have been trying to investigate and source all the relevant information for building a new Audio work station that will run my favored DAW Sonar X3 and any USB audio interface that will work with windows!? I will of course be trying to use my UX2, however! As I said above it wasn't until I started to research all the new hardware that's available today that I am now well and truly perplexed! I have tried in vane to find any relevant information regarding the strengths or weaknesses of the now it seems favored for gaming Z99 or Z170 motherboards let alone the different Quad or Octa CPU's! I am now in a state of total stagnation computer build wise as I don't know which way to turn :frown: Help!!
Lostfollicles

Post by ef37a »

Felicitations of the season L and welcome.

Now I am only the merest dabbler here but...That Line 6 has W7 (and W10) drivers listed so I suspect there is some other reason you could not get it to work with 7. Others here will surely have some ideas.

As well as this esteemed emporium I have infested at least two other recording forums for many years and cannot recall anyone having a problem with that AI and W7.That is not to say there has never BEEN a problem, just that it is not at all common AFAIK.

As for a new build? You will surely have advice from Olympus in the form of Pete (Scan) and Martin but it seems to this mere mortal that there are very few problems involved these days? I would look for a MOBO with plenty of USB 3 and especially USB 3.1 capability, i5 or i7 CPU, SSD main HDD and a 2TB or bigger spinner for backup. Much depends on what you need/want to do? Easy to go way overboard when all you have is a mic and a guitar!

But then I am just a V old valve jockey.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Post by Wonks »

Win 10 does install a lot of stuff by default, though most of it is pretty easy to uninstall again. It's also easier than ever to decide what gets loaded on start-up, so you only have running what you really need to.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17005 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.