Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Wonks wrote:Win 10 does install a lot of stuff by default, though most of it is pretty easy to uninstall again. It's also easier than ever to decide what gets loaded on start-up, so you only have running what you really need to.

Out of interest, what have you uninstalled from your Windows 10 setup? Did it make any perceptable difference?
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5806 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Wonks »

Some of the apps like maps, news, finance etc. On a fast machine like mine, I don't really think it makes much difference. But the less there is, the less there is to start doing stuff like updating in the background.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Exalted Wombat »

Do the apps on the "dark side" auto-run then? I thought they were simple run-when-asked-for program.

I agree, the downside of Windows 10 is all this auto-update malarky. Though I'm not sure it's much different to what responsible Windows 7/8 users did anyway.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

Post by Atinshola »

Quick question (ok, longwinded question):
I've heard that there is a 30-day limit for rolling back to Win7/8 - does this mean that if I install Win10 over my Win7 install and then do a clean Win10 install, and after say, 6 weeks, decide it's not for me and want to go back to Win7/8, I cannot do so, even by doing a clean install with my original (and legal) Win7/8 dvd?

Merry Christmas and a happy new year! :bouncy::?
Atinshola
Poster

Post by Exalted Wombat »

No, it means that a Windows.old folder is retained on your computer for 30 days, enabling an in-place roll-back. Obviously you'll also have a full system image of the computer, pre-update, as part of your routine backup strategy.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster

How NOT to install Windows 10

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Just an aside. The Register has published an article on the official way to stop W10 being installed on your PC if you do not want it. The article is here.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12864 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
I don't play music because I think I'm a great musician,
I play because music is great and I want to be part of it.

Post by alexis »

So ... if I wanted W10, after imaging is the best thing just to start clicking Yes on the big blue box that keeps popping up when I power on the computer?

Or should I somehow do a "fresh install" instead of going through their update process?

Thanks -
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3825 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by robinv »

Accepted wisdom dictates that you should do a fresh install - which is a good and healthy thing to do from time to time anyway. However, ive now upgraded 3 different machines with no ill effects.

In order to do a fresh install you'll need to go through the upgrade procedure so that your system gets recognised for the free upgrade - so you can always try it and see before doing the fresh install.
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Synths, modular, software, Surface and weird noises.
https://linktr.ee/moltenmodular

Post by The Elf »

I can't say it's the 'best', but the update is what I've done on all my PCs and it's been painless. All my software still in place and nothing to fix, short of the mousepad settings on my laptop.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19939 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote:
alexis wrote:
ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:
ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!

+99!

If there were ever 2 words that have profound impact on life, it is those 2 words 'Image First' Yes of course there are a few other 2 word phrases equally profound but computing wise 'IF' is surely the most important
OneWorld
Jedi Poster

Post by alexis »

Having upgraded to W10 (I IF'd!!), and played around with the settings a bit, I just have one question. The computer is 97% DAW, 3% general surfing machine btw. I'm wondering whether I should check the box "Defer Updates".

Seems like a reasonable thing to do - helps the user bypasses the inevitable dodgy upgrades while MS works on a hot fixes to rectify (thereby avoiding potential DAW downtime), while still getting security updates as they are released.

Thanks for any thoughts!
alexis
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3825 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by robinv »

Personally, i've been finding that with each update my computer gets "better", but accepted wisdom says you should defer.
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Synths, modular, software, Surface and weird noises.
https://linktr.ee/moltenmodular