Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

For anything relating to music-making on Windows computers, with lots of FAQs. Moderated by Martin Walker.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Windows 10 for musicians SOS article

Post by Exalted Wombat »

No, it means that a Windows.old folder is retained on your computer for 30 days, enabling an in-place roll-back. Obviously you'll also have a full system image of the computer, pre-update, as part of your routine backup strategy.
Exalted Wombat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5812 Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:00 am Location: London UK
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont bore us with beefing about it. Go fishing instead.

How NOT to install Windows 10

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Just an aside. The Register has published an article on the official way to stop W10 being installed on your PC if you do not want it. The article is here.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12929 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by alexis »

So ... if I wanted W10, after imaging is the best thing just to start clicking Yes on the big blue box that keeps popping up when I power on the computer?

Or should I somehow do a "fresh install" instead of going through their update process?

Thanks -
alexis
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3842 Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:00 am Location: San Antonio, TX USA
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by robinv »

Accepted wisdom dictates that you should do a fresh install - which is a good and healthy thing to do from time to time anyway. However, ive now upgraded 3 different machines with no ill effects.

In order to do a fresh install you'll need to go through the upgrade procedure so that your system gets recognised for the free upgrade - so you can always try it and see before doing the fresh install.
robinv
Frequent Poster
Molten Music Technology - Synths, modular, software, Surface and weird noises.
https://linktr.ee/moltenmodular

Post by The Elf »

I can't say it's the 'best', but the update is what I've done on all my PCs and it's been painless. All my software still in place and nothing to fix, short of the mousepad settings on my laptop.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20025 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by OneWorld »

The Elf wrote:
alexis wrote:
ef37a wrote:
ezza wrote:
ef37a wrote:The Post Ghost has struck again!
I was sure I asked if the factory recovery partition on my HP laptop would allow a return to W7 at any time if I went ahead and installed the free W10?

Dave.

The Windows 10 installer will back up your Win 7 install and revert back to it (with all your settings and programs intact) whether you have a recovery partition or not.

Really? Not the impressive I have got. So, I have ABSOLUTLY NOTHING TO FEAR INSTALLING W10 ON THIS LAPPY?

Dave.

Image first!

+99!

If there were ever 2 words that have profound impact on life, it is those 2 words 'Image First' Yes of course there are a few other 2 word phrases equally profound but computing wise 'IF' is surely the most important
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by alexis »

Having upgraded to W10 (I IF'd!!), and played around with the settings a bit, I just have one question. The computer is 97% DAW, 3% general surfing machine btw. I'm wondering whether I should check the box "Defer Updates".

Seems like a reasonable thing to do - helps the user bypasses the inevitable dodgy upgrades while MS works on a hot fixes to rectify (thereby avoiding potential DAW downtime), while still getting security updates as they are released.

Thanks for any thoughts!
alexis
Frequent Poster
Cubase 12 Pro; i5-4570 3.2GHz,16GB RAM; W10 64 bit; Steinberg UR28M interface; Juno DS88; UAD2 Solo/Native; Revoice Pro

Post by robinv »

Personally, i've been finding that with each update my computer gets "better", but accepted wisdom says you should defer.
robinv
Frequent Poster

Post by alexis »

robinv wrote:Personally, i've been finding that with each update my computer gets "better", but accepted wisdom says you should defer.

Thanks for that, robinv!

I should also explicitly thank you for your great article. So glad it is pinned to the top of this subforum! I reviewed it last night as I was setting up my new W10 - great resource.

One other question for your or any other W10 cognoscenti - regarding MalwareBytes.

The W10 update process was done on my DAW, by ADK remotely. I noticed before they upgraded they seemed to remove MalwareBytes from my computer, "the upgrade works better with it gone" they answered when I asked.

So, after all was said and done, there was no trace of MalwareBytes on my computer. I contacted them, and within hours they had emailed me my personal code (worth $$), and now I'm up and running with that as well.

But ... I will be doing the upgrade on my other computers myself ... and am wondering - do I really have to wipe all traces of MalwareBytes from my computers before doing so?

Thanks for any thoughts!
alexis
Frequent Poster

Post by JSantos »

Just recently updated to Windows 10 earlier this morning.

Then I had to roll back because

-plenty of my drivers were missing. My ASIO was even mis-aligned. :frown:
-my wifi adapter wasn't working. also my LAN card.
-some USBs lost functionality.

I upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition to Windows 10. I believe registry troubles caused these little problems.

Has anyone ever encountered a different outcome coming from Windows 7 Ultimate? I'm planning to do a fresh install instead of proceeding with an upgrade.
JSantos
New here

Post by damoore »

You were lucky. When I tried to update to W10, my machine wouldn't even boot. Had to completely reinstall 7.

The software I had used to clone my disk before hand did not create a bootable drive, too, so it was back to square 1. At least I was able to get all my files back.
damoore
Frequent Poster
Posts: 981 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:00 am Location: New Hampshire

Post by alexis »

damoore wrote:You were lucky. When I tried to update to W10, my machine wouldn't even boot. Had to completely reinstall 7.

The software I had used to clone my disk before hand did not create a bootable drive, too, so it was back to square 1. At least I was able to get all my files back.

Hi - I don't know much about these things ... so I was under the impression that a clone was a bit-for-bit copy from one drive to another, so it would be supposed to create that bootable drive.

Where is that thinking in error, yikes!?
alexis
Frequent Poster

Post by Bojet »

Hi all,

I'm on Windows 10 with Pro Tools 12 HD. My problem is when I try to import a video to PT (no matter what kind of... mp4, mov, avi, whatever) it can't import it. I installed the latest quicktime (7.7.9) and Avid codecs LE 2.7.3 for win...
But no luck.
Any help?
Thanks a lot!
Bojet

Post by robinv »

Bojet wrote:Hi all,

I'm on Windows 10 with Pro Tools 12 HD. My problem is when I try to import a video to PT (no matter what kind of... mp4, mov, avi, whatever) it can't import it. I installed the latest quicktime (7.7.9) and Avid codecs LE 2.7.3 for win...
But no luck.
Any help?
Thanks a lot!

Hi Bojet - welcome to the forum!
Do these videos play back ok generally in Windows in Films/TV or Media Player?
robinv
Frequent Poster

Post by fxsoundscapes »

I found that WIN 7 was much more problem free in so many ways. After switching to win 10 all the problems started with daw software, plugins etc. :headbang:
So it needs some figuring out and setting changes but once you get there it works just fine. :thumbup:
fxsoundscapes
New here

Post by N i g e l »

Dont be afraid to ask the hyper global mega Microsoft corporation support team for help.

When I first read Robins article intro I was highly sceptical that Microsoft were keen to help *me* get the best Windows 10 experience.

This week I contacted Microsoft support for the 1st time using the chat app (about my THR10 editor problem). I now stand corrected and am impressed by their level of commitment .

Amazing ! There was no waiting & after 3 guesses the AI robot gave up and put me through to a real person. He knew his stuff and was very keen to help. Unable to solve the problem at his level, he connected me to the Level 2 support. Again very efficient and keen to assist me achieve a solution to the problem.

This was all over a couple of hours of Microsofts time.
N i g e l
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3688 Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 2:40 pm Location: British Isles

Post by shmuelyosef »

I have always been windows and Unix (never MAC or iOS), and have lived with the 'wonkiness' of it all. I am delighted with Windows since moving to Windows 10 PRO. I have also let the updates run unfettered in both my laptop (recent) and DAW Workstation (7-8 year old custom tower build).
Thanx for the pointer to this (albeit dated) article!
Last edited by shmuelyosef on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shmuelyosef
New here

Post by adrian_k »

A bit of a post script - I finally upgraded my 6 year old W7 laptop today. Wouldn’t have bothered but my DAW is no longer supported on W7. Bit of a faff, a couple of hangs, a reboot and 2 attempts but got there in the end.

If there is anyone else out there on W7 and thinking of upgrading note that despite what MS have said you can still upgrade for free. I followed the instructions here:

ZDNET article
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2652 Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2003 12:00 am Location: Gloucestershire
Above all, be kind.

Post by Von Junzt »

WDF01000.sys started giving me quite a bit of bother last weekend. I hadn't recorded in a whlie. So I finally decided to reinstall Windows 10 (Pro), and set up a user account specifically for audio.

Despite this, a renewed check with LatencyMon still showed the scoundrel was acting up, as well as the DirectX driver. I found a fix - in advanced system settings I simply deactivated all visual effects. This seems to have had a positive effect.

Has anyone else here experienced the same?

BTW I am using a Lenovo ThinkPad T480 with an i5 8350U, 16 GB of RAM, and a 250 GB M.2 SSD (the latter will be upgraded to a 1 TB M.2 SSD sooner or later). I have been thinking about getting a workstation tower PC, and throw in an RME PCIe card to hook up a preamp to achieve low latencies.
Von Junzt
Poster

Post by CS70 »

That's just the library with the generic windows driver framework functions, so the problem is likely elsewhere, in one of your drivers. Long shot, but if it's graphic-card related, these Intel onboard graphic cards didn't use to have their own memory, but used the regular one.. failures may indicate a looming problem your dram chips. Try a RAM diagnostics and see what it gives.

As of RME on PCI, I cannot but recommend it: on a pc which is by far not super-powerful (and some 4-5 years old now) I can run a 32 sample buffer = 0.7ms reported latency, with 4ms roundtrip latency. W10 needs a bit of tweaking to achieve that, however.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page