OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: OEM Music Software - Don't Fall For It!

Post by Scramble »

These days it's pretty easy to get eBay to refund you in such cases. (Assuming you're buying from eBay... bit tougher if you're not!).

But it's always been the case that when you buy things like a used copy of Cubase or Reason or similar, you need to see photos of everything... if there are no pics then assume if doesn't exist. (Of course photos can be faked, but generally if there are photos then the likelihood that everything is legit is far higher).

Not that I've ever bought used software from eBay, but I know people who have that have, and it's always been fine, but they never buy unless there are photos.
Scramble
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWorld »

Scramble wrote:These days it's pretty easy to get eBay to refund you in such cases. (Assuming you're buying from eBay... bit tougher if you're not!).

But it's always been the case that when you buy things like a used copy of Cubase or Reason or similar, you need to see photos of everything... if there are no pics then assume if doesn't exist. (Of course photos can be faked, but generally if there are photos then the likelihood that everything is legit is far higher).

Not that I've ever bought used software from eBay, but I know people who have that have, and it's always been fine, but they never buy unless there are photos.

it was MugTree and, sorry to say it.....one was SOS Reader's Ads, but am wiser after the fact. I have to add, I have done quite a number of transactions on SOS and in every other case the experience has been flawless, good honest folk, the staff of Life!
OneWorld
Frequent Poster

Post by jollyon »

Thanks for the info Martin
jollyon
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm Location: London

Post by Arpangel »

hollowsun wrote:
DaleSmith wrote:The amount of people doing it on ebay is amazing. I thought they would have tighter rules on this kinda thing.

You seem to be under the impression that eBay actually give a sh!t. They don't!

Impudent wastrels sell my free sound library stuff on the Bay of E claiming it to be their own work ... and eBay couldn't give a toss and you have to leap through hoops and suck pebbles through a straw to prove your copyright. It takes so bloody long that the feckers have long gone by the time eBay start to take notice by which time it's too late.

And when it happens again, you have to start all over again!

As long as eBay get their sales commission, they couldn't care less! Image

I stopped using EBay many years ago, it's just a bad place, I'd rather miss out on something than use that site, if you sell you feel as though you've been mugged for fees, if you buy you're not sure if you're dealing with a fraudster.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Dragging up a ten year old thread and a seven year old post just to have a minor whinge... hmmm... From anyone else that would be considered spamming! ;)
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39001 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Mike Stranks »

Well, as it's been dragged... :)

I stopped using EBay many years ago, it's just a bad place

No. It.Isn't.

I use it for buying and selling all the time and almost always deal with perfectly reasonable sellers and buyers. I'd say in my 16 years of using EBay and a 'score' of approaching 900, I've had no more than 5 or 6 bad experiences.

And I'll say it again to the EBay naysayers... If you're using a service that gives you access to a vast constituency as a seller isn't it reasonable to pay fees? If you advertised in a newspaper you'd have to pay.

A couple of weeks ago I sold a classy and rare mic at a bargain price. Response from 'Readers' Ads' here? Zilch. Meanwhile at EBay the watchers and bidders were clustering around...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by The Elf »

Mike Stranks wrote:Well, as it's been dragged... :)

No. It.Isn't..

And I'll second that.

I've had pretty much 100% good experiences, and I was in at the start. I had one item I sold go missing but that's not an eBay issue.

Maybe I'm just very careful in checking on people I'm buying from/selling to.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20034 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Sam Spoons »

I have had vastly more good experiences than bad using ebay (both as a buyer and a seller). I'd say it's still the best place to sell stuff, the trade off is that you are competing with lots more buyers for that elusive bargain :( The bargains still turn up if you're patient :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19717 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Kwackman »

The Elf wrote:
Mike Stranks wrote:Well, as it's been dragged... :)

No. It.Isn't..

And I'll second that..

I'm with Mike too. I've been on it for 20 years, mostly as a buyer, and still buy from it regularly. I've only once needed a refund from PayPal, which was instant.
Over the 2 decades I got bits for my Apple mac from US back when they weren't so popular here (Performa machines era), I still get bits for my 82 motorcycle on it which are unobtainable elsewhere. It's good for OOP CDs too.
It's not perfect, but it's a very useful web site for me.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.

Post by fxsoundscapes »

Good to know thanks! :o
fxsoundscapes
New here

Post by fxsoundscapes »

:thumbdown: its basicly samething as cracked software.
fxsoundscapes
New here

Post by shufflebeat »

Kwackman wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:10 pm I still get bits for my 82 motorcycle on it which are unobtainable elsewhere.

Misread as, "82 motorcycles, which I thought would be quite a lot, even for KM.
shufflebeat
Longtime Poster
Posts: 9103 Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:00 am Location: Manchester, UK
“…I can tell you I don't have money, but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career” - (folk musician, Manchester).

Post by Kwackman »

shufflebeat wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:00 am
Kwackman wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:10 pm I still get bits for my 82 motorcycle on it which are unobtainable elsewhere.

Misread as, "82 motorcycles, which I thought would be quite a lot, even for KM.

:D
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Posts: 3221 Joined: Thu Nov 07, 2002 12:00 am Location: Belfast
Cubase, guitars.