Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads: Update

For everything after the recording stage: hardware/software and how you use it.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads: Update

Post by Mike Senior »

Just a quick update to say that last month's Mix Rescue candidates, the band Motor Tapes, have kindly made the multitracks for their song 'Shore' available for download should any SOS readers fancy trying their hand at mixing those themselves:

Motor Tapes: 'Shore' -- multitrack files

In case you missed that particular article, here's a link: Mix Rescue September 2013: Motor Tapes
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1083 Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2003 12:00 am Location: Cambridge, UK

Post by Littlemonkeystudios »

sounds good!
Littlemonkeystudios
New here

Post by Ron Snijders »

For some reason, I noticed this thread a couple of times, but only checked it out today. Wonderful stuff, thank you!
Ron Snijders
Regular

Post by intermittent hummer »

I can't seem to find the multitrack files on soundcloud for the "session" article from the december 2013 issue of SOS. I have noticed google does take a while before it is able to find stuff that I put on S/cloud, but it has been 2 1/2 wks now. any suggestions?
thanks
jp
intermittent hummer
Poster

Post by Matt Houghton »

intermittent hummer wrote:I can't seem to find the multitrack files on soundcloud for the "session" article from the december 2013 issue of SOS. I have noticed google does take a while before it is able to find stuff that I put on S/cloud, but it has been 2 1/2 wks now. any suggestions?
thanks
jp

You can download them here
Matt Houghton
Frequent Poster
SOS Reviews Editor

Post by KsJohn »

Awesome resource! Well done on the latest additions as well, It is as good as analogmix... :)
KsJohn
Poster
http://www.analogmix.com/
::.ANALOG ONLINE MIXING...to make your music spellbinding.:

Post by forumuser695697 »

Firstly just want to say that this is a great resource to have to practice mixing so thank you very much for providing it.

I just wondered if anyone knew of an online service very similar to this but where by musicians/bands want there tracks mixing (so self recorded and then want a 3rd party to mix them) and you as a mix engineer can offer your services either for a donation or set fee? There must be a lot of self recorded bands out there looking to get there music semi-professionally mixed and mastered for a fee that doesn't run into hundreds of pounds per track?

Basically I would love to offer a mixing service to musicians/bands who don't have a huge budget but would be willing to pay something to get the job done.

Thanks for any help in advance.
forumuser695697

Post by Gav W »

Unbeleivable, I was just about to ask if something like this existed!!
Thanks for the work you put in!
Gav W
Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

forumuser695697 wrote:Basically I would love to offer a mixing service to musicians/bands who don't have a huge budget but would be willing to pay something to get the job done.

Is this to allow you to gain experience so that one day you'll be able to make a living charging for your professional mixing services?

That's great... Except that when you get there you'll find no one wants to pay you because someone else will be offering to do it for free (or almost free)! :o

As any self-employed or freelancer will tell you, well-meaning enthusiastic amateurs offering to work for free, or to seriously undercut the 'professional' rates only sour the milk for everyone and drive the rates (and often the technical standards) down. And that's really not a good idea in the long term for anyone hoping to forge a career in pro-audio.

If you're good enough to do the job Its really important to charge the going rate for the service, not only for yourself, but for the benefit of everyone trying to make a living in the business.

Just saying'... ;-) it's disheartening because I've met so many young people over the years starting out as self-employed professionals who just can't make a living wage because so many enthusiastic amateurs are undercutting them...

H
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 39006 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Dr. Duce »

Just discovered this post. What a fantastic resource for my year 1 Music Tech students. Thanks a million.
:thumbup:
Dr. Duce
New here
Posts: 11 Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:47 pm Location: Bracknell
Dr. Duce - MMus, PGCE, BA Hons, FdA - Music Tech Lecturer, Produce/Engineer & Child of God.
http://www.ducebeats.com
http://www.musictechtraining.com

Post by Mike Senior »

Hi All,

Unfortunately, 1and1 have decided that the dedicated managed server that I used to run the www.cambridge-mt.com site is now too busy for them to 'manage', so they've just allowed it to go offline indefinitely without warning, forcing me to change to an unmanaged 'root-access' server that I'm going to have to configure myself. Seeing as I have no experience of Linux-based server management, I expect that the site will remain off-line or flake-tastic for at least the next few days while I learn to differentiate the new server's arse from its elbow. I am, however, committed to sorting it out, I'm on the case, and I'll keep everyone updated as to progress.

Thanks in advance for your patience,

Mike S.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Post by Mike Senior »

Hello again,

Just a brief update to say that I'm now in the process of migrating the whole Cambridge-MT site to an alternative hosting platform and the Multitrack Library is now back online. And thanks to the support of the site's Patrons, I've been able to upgrade the server power enough to cater for further expansion of the resources for the foreseeable future.

Mike S.
Mike Senior
Frequent Poster

Post by OK1 »

Mike Senior wrote:Hello again,

Just a brief update to say that I'm now in the process of migrating the whole Cambridge-MT site to an alternative hosting platform and the Multitrack Library is now back online. And thanks to the support of the site's Patrons, I've been able to upgrade the server power enough to cater for further expansion of the resources for the foreseeable future.

Mike S.

Thanks for keeping this labour of love alive.
OK1
Poster
Posts: 89 Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:00 am Location: Reading, Berkshire, UK
Olakunle Odebode PA/Live Sound Engineer(FOH and Monitors), Mixing Engineer, Budding Producer, Keyboard Player, Singer/Songwriter, Audio Systems Adviser/Consultant

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I'll second that - I've used the microphone position library several times.
Thank you!
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24610 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by jollyon »

Many thanks Mike. This looks great.

Mike Senior wrote:About six months ago I posted to let people know about an on-line library of free multitrack downloads I'd put together for people use for mixing practice. Since then, there've been quite a few developments, so I figured it might be time to post an update, so here's a quick summary of where things are:
  • There are now more 50 projects listed, covering a wide range of musical styles -- including more than 20 of the songs I've remixed for the 'Mix Rescue' column.
  • Almost all the projects are now provided in full-length versions -- previously most of the projects were only 30-second excerpts on account of web-space restrictions.
  • All of the files are in uncompressed WAV format at 44.1kHz, without any mix processing or effects -- just the raw multitracks, in other words.
  • There are MP3 previews provided alongside each listing so that you can get an idea of what to expect before downloading.
Here's the link: Library Of Free Multitrack Downloads

Many thanks again to everyone who's contributed to this resource. I'm continuing to add further projects on a rolling basis (so far about five a month), and further contributions/links are always welcome. Have fun with them!

jollyon
Poster
Posts: 37 Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm Location: London

Post by Hjlphilp »

DUDE thank you so much making it easier for college grads like me to keep practicing

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk
Hjlphilp
Poster

Post by fxsoundscapes »

Thanks! these are fantastic :bouncy:
fxsoundscapes
New here

Post by kingmoot »

I stumbled across this about a month ago - it's the stems from Brian Eno and David Byrne's track Help Me Somebody, from their groundbreaking "My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts" album.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Stems/comments/8903cv/request_brian_eno_and_david_byrne_my_life_in_the/
kingmoot
New here

Post by stefan.pynappels »

It appears the hosting provider is having some issues, I get Cloudflare error pages for most of the links saying the host is having issues.

Let me know if some help is required hosting some of this content, I'm just starting out on the audio mixing path, but have walked many miles on the IT/hosting/network engineering path...

Stefan
stefan.pynappels
New here

Post by Drew Stephenson »

I think i recall Mike saying he was doing some work this year on moving his content, so you may have caught him mid-migration.
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24610 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/