the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

the latest Behringer-gate

Post by ramthelinefeed »

So last night Behringer put on their website that they'd basically be making clones of just about every cool synth that every existed,
and then they took it down again saying "lolz sorry, this was due to a errorz hahah"

https://twitter.com/chris_carter_/statu ... 0784088065 was not impressed.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2372 Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: UK
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! 

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by muzines »

Sorry to all the conspiracy theorists out there, but it seems quite obviously like a technical mistake that published data that shouldn't have been published, to me...

It's not like this hasn't happened on websites before....
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by The Elf »

Mistake, or not, it hints at something happening. Text describing cloned products doesn't write itself. It has to have crept up the chain from somewhere it was being held in waiting.

Cock-up or conspiracy?...

Whilst I have been critical of Behringer's batant plagiarism of contemporary gear, with that list the products are long out of production, with no chance of the original makers picking up the reins. For this reason I see no reason for the likes of Behringer to champion re-makes - and good luck to them if they do.

At least Behringer are giving people what they want - which is more than can be said for much bigger names in the industry...
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 20026 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Wonks »

I'd suggest someone from Music Group having a bit of drunken 'fun' after an enjoyable Christmas party.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by muzines »

The Elf wrote:Whilst I have been critical of Behringer's batant plagiarism of contemporary gear, with that list the products are long out of production, with no chance of the original makers picking up the reins.

Hmm.. Roland SH101, TR808 & TR909 are all active products currently being sold/marketed by Roland in various forms (software, boutique hardware, Aira hardware)

Korg MS20 is being sold by Korg in various forms, both hardware and software, with them buying rights to ARP (eg Odyssey) and rumoured to have a 2600 coming as well...

Yes, things like the Wasp Deluxe or the Cat would likely be fine to do, of course...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by The Elf »

Fair point. I was probably a bit hasty in my assessment.

But then, I don’t count all that boutique, reduced polyphony, miniature keyboard ‘made for hobbits’ rubbish! :lol:
Last edited by The Elf on Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by ramthelinefeed »

desmond wrote:
Yes, things like the Wasp Deluxe or the Cat would likely be fine to do, of course...

Really?
Surely *someone* owns the intellectual property for them?

I mean even the Mellotron is owned by someone these days.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by Escapegoat »

feline1 wrote:
desmond wrote:

Really?

I mean even the Mellotron is owned by someone these days.

Behringer ... I mean, Music Group ... no hang on, this just in ... I mean MusicTribe ... is getting big enough to employ bigger, scarier lawyers. Isn't it still trying to get its paws on the "Oberheim" name? This latest stunt seems to be Uli's thing, from the self-proclaimed "Chief Disruptor".

I, for one, welcome our new SinoGerman overlords.
Escapegoat
Regular

Post by ramthelinefeed »

Does this mean Tom Oberheim will have to just call himself Tom Kenobi?
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster

Post by Dave B »

Tom will from now on be referred to as "Grandpa Tom" - your favourite, kindly old relative with a twinkle in his eye and a SEM filter based synth up his sleeve. Feel free to send him a xmas card. And, if he's anything like my grandparents, a bottle of good cooking scotch...

(Dave Smith will be re-branded "Uncle Dave" in the upcoming new years honours list. Apparently, he favours good tequila)

Out of interest, did anyone get any grabs of the product pages? Do we know what products were mooted?
Dave B
Longtime Poster
Posts: 5931 Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2003 12:00 am Location: Maidenhead
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Post by Escapegoat »

Dave B wrote:
Out of interest, did anyone get any grabs of the product pages? Do we know what products were mooted?

VCS3, 2600, MS-20, Kitten and/or Cat, and I think I saw several '101' variants, perhaps just colours. Curiously, there was no mention of their already-shown Minimoog clone.

Plus a FX box called Maelstrom (something like the FX section of the DM12/XR16 in a box). There may have been an SP1200 or LinnDrum, but I can't recall now.
Escapegoat
Regular

Post by Dave B »

Interesting. I'm surprised nobody has done a VCS3 clone before. There were rumours that Korg wanted to do the 2600. And I think that they'd object to an MS20 clone.

ho hum.
Dave B
Longtime Poster

Post by The Elf »

LinnDrum, TR-808, TR-909. Oberheim OBX, ARP 2600...

These are amongst ones I've seen mentioned, but I didn't get to see it first hand.
Last edited by The Elf on Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by muzines »

feline1 wrote:
desmond wrote:

Really?

"WASP DELUXE Trademarked by Behringer's MUSIC Group IP Ltd."

Here's the list of MUSIC Group IP Ltd. current trademarks:

OBERHEIM

OBERHEIM
Electronic musical instruments, Electronic Pianos, Music synthesizers, Audio sythesizers, Electronic organs, Keyboards for…
Owned by: MUSIC Group IP Ltd.
Serial Number: 87262808
OB-XA

OB-XA
Electronic musical instruments, Electronic Pianos, Music synthesizers, Audio sythesizers, Electronic organs, Keyboards for…
Serial Number: 87264791
Image Trademark

Image Trademark
Serial Number: 87267807
OSCAR

OSCAR
Electronic musical instruments; Keyboard instruments; Music synthesizers; Organs; Electronic musical keyboards; Music synthesizers…
Serial Number: 87283508
FOUNTAIN

FOUNTAIN
Loudspeaker cabinets; Loudspeaker systems; Loudspeakers; Cabinets for loudspeakers; Horns for loudspeakers
Serial Number: 87353497
PIPELINE

PIPELINE
Guitar effects processors
Serial Number: 87489825
WASP

WASP
Electronic musical instruments; Music synthesizers; Piano keyboards; Electronic musical keyboards
Serial Number: 87709468
WASP DELUXE

WASP DELUXE
Electronic musical instruments; Electronic musical keyboards; Music synthesizers; Piano keyboards
Serial Number: 87709474
Last edited by muzines on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by Logarhythm »

Dave B wrote: Out of interest, did anyone get any grabs of the product pages? Do we know what products were mooted?

This was embedded in the article where I first saw the news a couple of days ago (one of those handy stories that Android feeds you based on your browsing habits, to help with the GAS...):

Logarhythm
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1093 Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:00 am Location: On an intergalactic voyage to collect fresh electrons

Post by Martin Walker »

This Behringer Teases ARP 2600, WASP, SYNTHI Clones page on Synthtopia is still visible, containing lots of detailed info on the various models (followed by a caveat that "Behringer has updated the Musictribe site to remove info for these products")

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2017/ ... hi-clones/

Martin
Last edited by Martin Walker on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Dave B »

Ta very much. Interesting that the MS20 clone is a Eurorack module. That takes Berry into interesting waters!

Of those units, I'd be interested in the 2600 and VCS3 clones. But I'd be fascinated to see which actually would sell if they released that lot. I suspect that the SH101s would shift a darned sight more units than (presumably a much more expensive) VCS3
Last edited by Dave B on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave B
Longtime Poster

Post by The Elf »

Always wanted a 2600, but was put off by a combination of high price and ARP's shoddy build quality - especially after owning a Pro Soloist and seeing how that was put together!

Here's hoping that Behringer can solve both of these problems for me!
Last edited by The Elf on Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Elf
Forum Aficionado

Post by Zukan »

I think it's luck of the draw Elf. I had 3 2600s and they were all solid bar the grey but I expected that.
Zukan
'Shaka. When the walls fell. Zukan...with his arms wide.'

Samplecraze
1-2-1 Tuition

Post by BigRedX »

desmond wrote:
The Elf wrote:Yes, things like the Wasp Deluxe or the Cat would likely be fine to do, of course...

IIRC the Kitten and Cat synths were essentially clones of various ARP models...
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan