Must have microphones?

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Must have microphones?

Post by andyv »

Hi everyone,

My first post so please be gentle ;)

I have been recording and mixing in a small (analog) home studio for many years and have plans to build a professional (digital) studio.

I was wondering which are the "must have" microphones in a professional studio. I know one of them is of course the Sure SM57, but apart from that I don't really have a clue. A Neumann U87 and a U47 seems obvious, but I read that a good copy can be just as performant.

I would like to buy a set of microphones for various applications (voice, ac/el gtr, piano, horns, strings, keys, ...) so that I can serve anyone, no matter which instrument they play.

So basically: would you mind posting a list of your microphones so I can check for the ones that everyone uses?

P.S. I know that it all depends on personal taste, the style of music, male/female singer, etc. but please bear with me ;)

Thx in advance

Andy (Belgium)
andyv
New here

Re: Must have microphones?

Post by ConcertinaChap »

I'm not sure I'd go for that approach. Buying mics calls for thought. I would advocate building your collection over a period and getting to know each mic before you buy the next. Conversely if you've been recording for a while, as you say, then you must already have opinions you can deploy.

Anyway, FWIW, this is what I have (copied from my website 'cos I'd never remember otherwise) and my comments on them from the same source:

Neumann U87 ai – a studio classic large diaphragm condenser and worth every penny.

sE Electronics Gemini III – another classic. The Gemini II is a twin valve cardioid LDC mic with a beautiful sound. The III is a limited edition multi-pattern version of it.

Neumann TLM 193 – a cardioid LDC with a darker character than many of my other mics.

Aston Spirit – A modern multi-pattern LDC unusual for it’s industrial appearance and the fact that it was made as well as designed in Britain. Fast becoming a favourite of mine.

JZ Microphones Vintage 11 – The makers of this, the latest mic in the studio, say it’s for anyone who “wants something better than all known studio standards”. Bit of a big claim there, but we’ll see how it pans out.

Studio Projects LSD2 rebuilt by Oktavamod – this beautiful mic is two multi-pattern LDCs stacked on on top of the other, allowing enormous versatility in stereo recording. I like to use it with two KM184 or NT5 outriders when recording on location.

Sontronics Sigma – an active ribbon mic with a smooth vintage character that is lovely with the right voice or instrument, my go-to for higher female voices.

Neumann KM184 – a matched pair of really excellent small diaphragm condensers, beautiful on guitar and also very nice on location recording in ORTF or co-incident arrangement.

Rode NT5 x 2 – a matched pair of this fine small diaphragm condenser mic, I also have omni capsules for them.

Rode NT4 – a stereo mic that is essentially two cardioid NT5’s held as a coincident pair. a nice mic for guitar.

Earthworks QTC-1 x 2 – A matched pair of omni mics with a staggering flat frequency range from 40hz to 40khz. Beautiful mics for the right job, I’m inspired by these!

Sure SM58 – I believe that in law no studio is permitted to operate without at least one of these cardioid dynamic mics to hand.

Hope that's of use.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by John Willett »

OK - my list (alphabetically):-

Microtech Gefell
2 x M 221 omni (stereo pair)
2 x M 930 LDC cardioid (stereo pair)
2 x M 300 SCD cardioid (stereo pair)
1 x M 900 hand-held LDC cardioid
+ access to others

Neumann Berlin
1 x KMR 81i short gun
2 x GFM 132 boundary - half omni
2 x KM-D AES42 module
2 x KK 183 diffuse field omni capsule (for KM-D)
2 x KK 131 nearfield omni capsule (for KM-D)

Sennheiser
2 x MKH 20 omni
2 x MKH 30 fig-8
2 x MKH 40. cardioid
2 x MKH 800 switchable
2 x MKH 8020. omni
2 x MKH 8040. cardioid
2 x MKH 816F long gun (these are very rare)
1 x MD 421. dynamic cardioid (original)
1 x MD 43 ProfiPower dynamic cardioid
1 x MD 441 dynamic super-cardioid

Others

AKG (not used much nowadays)
D 12 cardioid dynamic bass drum mic
D 190. dynamic cardioid
C 452/CK1. SDC cardioid

Beyerdynamic (not used much nowadays)
2 x M67n. dynamic cardioid - my first mics and almost 50 years old

Calrec (not used much nowadays)
2 x C2050 SDC cardioid

I'm sure there are more that I habve forgotten.

One thing - from the very start I realised that microphones are the most important part of the recording chain and are the one thing that you really should not compromise on - so, I always invested as much as I could afford in the microphones I bought; so, I am still happy to use the microphones I bought back when I started recording and I have only added to the collection - but I would still be happy to use any mic. I purchased decades ago today.

Microphones and monitors are the things that last - they are mature technology and do not change every 5-minutes like anything based on computer technology. A good mic. (and monitor) will last decades, anything computer based will last just a very few years before you have to upgrade and get the next one which will be twice as good at half the price :madas:

I hope this helps. :thumbup:
John Willett
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7295 Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2000 12:00 am Location: Oxfordshire UK
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by Aled Hughes »

For what it's worth, my own collection is:

2x Beyerdynamic M201. Very versatile and useful dynamic microphones, and often does a great job where you'd usually use a condenser. Snares, toms, all manner of hand percussion, vocals, speech, acoustic guitar and much more! I much prefer them to the SM57. Rather low output, but not a problem in most cases.

1x Beyerdynamic M88. Similar to the above in many ways, but higher output and perhaps a bit more 'coloured' sounding. Again, very versatile. Can be great on vocals, especially 'live in the studio' type stuff with other instruments going on. Very tight pickup pattern so impressively low spill levels when positioned accordingly. This is one of my faves - had good results on double bass, and I love it on a bass drum. Perhaps my one 'go everywhere' mic. Watch out for its proximity effect though!

1x Beyerdynamic (See a pattern emerging? I'm a bit of a fan...) MC834. A curious one, and I'd never seen one until I got mine. Its a side-address small-diaphragm capacitor. Nicely neutral sounding, and can take a lot of level. Goog in the usual SDC roles, as well as vocals and snare drum. It's the best SDC I have - a shame I only have one!

2x Line Audio OM1. Fantastic sounding for not much money. I often use them as a spaced pair on drums, piano and folk ensembles.

1x Audio-Technica AT4050. Good sounding versatile multi-pattern large-diaphragm capacitor. Does a solid job on pretty much everything, although I wouldn't like to have it as my only vocal mic.

1x M-Audio Sputnik. Valve LDC. Nice sound for not that much money- sounds good on a wide variety of voices (though it doesn't seem to like mine much). Also my pick of my own lot (alongside the M88 and OM1 on occasion) on double bass. Have also had good results out in front of a bass drum.

2x sE R1. Ribbon mics. These are hit and miss, but I'm glad I have them. When they miss (as they very often do on vocals) they are rather dull and rather boring. When they hit (clarinet, cymbals, some acoustic guitars) they can be rather lovely. As with all ribbons they have excellent rejection to the sides, so I use them often when there's a lot os stuff going on - often on fiddles where they do a decent job.

2x Rode M3. Solid, unspectacular but cheap SDCs that do a decent job on pretty much anything you point them at. Same can be said about my

2x sE 1a. See above. I also have a Studio Projects B1 LDC mic that costs around £60 and sounds good on acoustic guitar and vocals.

---

The glaring omission from my collection, I'd say, is a decent pair of SDC, and indeed a pair of Beyerdynamic (who else!) MC930 is next on the list, and after that perhaps a Neumann TLM193.

However it is very important to note that it is very rarely that I do a job using only my own mics, and when I do, it's usually not a studio job. For studio jobs I use a few local studios, and they have a lot of the mics that I need - my own collection complements that nicely at the moment. This is a list of my favourites, and are the mics that I almost always turn to at these 'proper' studios:

Neumann U87. I'll admit that I almost always set one up as the vocal default. I'll only try other options if something is obviously wrong (but IME a U87 very rarely sounds wrong) or we have the luxury of some time to experiment.

Sennheiser MKH40. I LOVE these! Astonishing SDC. The nicest studio I work at have around 4, and they get used on every session I do there. Another studio at don't have any, but they have a pair of:

Neumann KM184. I don't have much experience of these, but used one on acoustic guitar recently and liked it very much indeed.

AKG C414 of all descriptions. I think I've used the B-ULS and XLS mostly. Very useful things to have. Versatile and good good sounding.

Coles 4038. A cut above my SE ribbons. I've mostly used them on drums to date, but will have a chance to try them on violin in a few months.

Sennheiser MD441. Very nice sounding dynamic, as is the MD421. The Shure SM7b also deserves a mention.

Hope that's of some interest. May I also point out that I don't own (or almost never use, apart from live PA work) an SM57 or SM58!

Aled
Last edited by Aled Hughes on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by James Perrett »

You won't go wrong with a U87 - it instantly gives you 'that' sound that you hear everywhere. The same goes for an SM58 and 57. The SM58 often surprises me with how good it sounds but we're now so used to hearing that sound that it almost becomes the expected sound.

It is worth saying that other mics may well sound more superficially impressive in isolation but the great thing about the U87 and SM58 is that they work well in a mix with most voices. Personally I would go for a U87 before thinking about a U47 - I have both and the U87 is used more.

I'm sceptical about claims of cheaper mics sounding like a U87 although it has been many years since I tried any of the pretenders. Cheaper large diaphragm mics can be useful in certain circumstances as they often have a more pronounced high end than the U87 and some artists want that sound. It is also worth adding that the AKG C414 is much cheaper than the U87 and many people find it just as useful.

Quite a few people are also using ribbon mics these days - I've not really tried any of the modern contenders so I'll leave it to others to recommend them.

An alternative to the SM57 would be the Sennheiser MD604 - they're smaller and more rugged.

You will also want a pair of small diaphragm condensers for drum overheads - Neumann KM184's are probably the standard although Rode NT55's seem to come highly recommended but it might be worth taking a look at the Line Audio CM3's which are a bargain at their current price.
James Perrett
Posts: 14353 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Watchmaker »

I'm a fan of the AKG C414's especially the xls. the EV RE-20 is always in use it seems. I love what it does to women's voices in bluesy vibes, especially if they have a low register. I'm saving up for some Royer 121's. <drools>

The magic mic closet is illusive and expensive so I try to find a happy medium which has, so far, meant many SM57's...I think I have 7 or 9. I know many folks don't talk about them but my Nuemann TLM 102 has proven itself very useful for acoustic guitar...

John Willets...can I come over and play in your mic closet?
Last edited by Watchmaker on Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by Drew Stephenson »

::: has a read of everyone else's mic lockers :::

::: skulks away to a corner somewhere :::
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24575 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by molecular »

well, if it makes Drew feel any better, my own personal collection at the moment is a Sontronics Sigma and a Beyer 201 - and I reckon a surprising amount could be achieved with just these two, as long as I was working on my own music. I wouldn't want to lose either of them.

My tuppence about the mics at work:

a TLM 193, which I think I acquired on recommendation from CC a few years ago, for recording fiddles and spoken word and it is brilliant. A bit flat sounding straight off the mic sometimes, but responds to EQ very nicely so it's not something I ever worry about.

AKG 414 XLS, very useful - I have found myself thinking of it as a backup plan. If none of the mics with more character sit well, the 414 will definitely get the job done.

DPA 4000 series Omni SDCs (can't remember the exact model) - I believe these cost a small fortune, but **** me they're good. Acquired before I started working there. Unless spaced omnis are just a bad choice of set up for some reason, these are hands down the best stereo set-up I've ever heard.

also...

KM184, Lauten Clarion, Rode NT55s (also excellent, much more so than the price would suggest), Beyer M99, TLM 103s, Josephson c42...
molecular
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1313 Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2003 12:00 am Location: Skye / Bristol
Anto mo Ninja, Watashi mo Ninja http://www.hectormacinnes.com

Post by John Willett »

As everyone else seems to be adding detail to their list, I had better do this to mine as well:-

This list is listed by manufacturer in alphabetical order.

Microtech Gefell
2 x M 221 omni (stereo pair)
My absolute favourite omni (along with the MKH 20) - nickel capsule 'grown in place', and my No.1 choice for piano and organ (Josephson also use this Gefell capsule on their C617set mic.). Comes complete with 3cm and 4cm APE spheres.

2 x M 930 LDC cardioid (stereo pair)

Small in size but an excellent large diaphragm cardioid condenser that is actually very affordable. Equally good as a main stereo pair as well as being superb for vocals and voice-over. A very versatile LDC, which is why I bought my own pair to keep in the kit.

2 x M 300 SCD cardioid (stereo pair)

High quality and affordable SDC cardioid that is very flexible.

1 x M 900 hand-held LDC cardioid
Ceramic capsule LDC in a handheld format and equally good in the studio and on stage. I like the versatility and is one of the very very few handhelds that have a genuine large diaphragm capsule.

(I can raid the demo kit for just about any Gefell mic. I want ;) but the above are the ones I have bought / will buy for my own mic. kit so I do not have to raid the demo kit.)

Neumann Berlin
1 x KMR 81i short gun
I have had this for many years and got it because it had a nicer sound than the MKH416; I don't use it so much nowadays, but would never get rid if it.

2 x GFM 132 boundary - half omni
Probably the best boundary mic. on the market and retailed for about £2k each - I managed to pick these up at a good price as everyone really needs a boundary mic. in the kit. Excellent underneath a grand piano where stage room is tight, as well as many other uses.

2 x KM-D AES42 module
2 x KK 183 diffuse field omni capsule (for KM-D)
2 x KK 131 nearfield omni capsule (for KM-D)

This is Neumann's digital SDC series - and replaces the KM100 series (also available as KM-A analogue). An excellent and flexible detachable capsule series - with the KM-D digital you get the sound of the capsule with no analogue colour.

Sennheiser
2 x MKH 20 omni
2 x MKH 30 fig-8
2 x MKH 40. cardioid

The mics in this series all sound the same and only differ in polar-pattern. Very flat frequency response and polar-patterns that are so good they are close to the theoretical response. The sound is neutral and natural without the colour that other mics can give. The MKH 20 used to be my No.1 choice for piano. I often use the MKH 40/30 as an MS pair. The MKH 30 is said by most to be the very best condenser fig-8 on the market, being a single diaphragm design and truly symmetrical. All this series use Sennheiser's symmetrical capsule that drastically reduces double-tone distortion.

2 x MKH 800 switchable
Switchable symmetrical capsule mic. with a HF response that goes to 50kHz. Like the others is natual and revealing. If I could only have one pair of mics and no others, this is what I would choose - it does everything (it even sounds excellent as overheads on a drum kit).

2 x MKH 8020. omni
2 x MKH 8040. cardioid

These are Sennheiser's new series of symmetrical capsule mics and have a top end that extends to 50 or 60kHz. Even though they are only 19mm in diameter, they still have a 16mm diameter diaphragm (the same diameter as the MKH 20/30/40 series). Great little mics that have a natural and musical sound. I use the MKH 8020 for live piano recitrals where I have to be as unobtrusive as possible., These are all dark grey Nextel coated and can go almost invisible to the eye if properly placed. I also have the MZD 8000 digital module for these mics so that I can have, together with a Y-cable, an AES42 pair of digital mics.

2 x MKH 816F long gun (these are very rare)

I picked these up many years ago (saved from the skip actually) - these have a flat frequency response that was designed more for music recording than voice. Sennheiser only made a very few of these and did not put them into full production.

1 x MD 421. dynamic cardioid (original)
This is an excellent cardioid dynamic that everyone should have in their mic. kit (in the same boat as the AKG D202 and Beyer M201) perfect for brass, excellent for Sax. great for speech (as used by many radio stations) and also great for vocals (it used to be the No.1 vocal mic. before the Shure SM58 came along) - the perfect "all rounder" that really everyone needs. Mine was actually a very old grey coloured original but, after I got it second-hand in the late 1970s, I changed the body to black and changed the Tuchel connector for the XLR insert.

1 x MD 431 ProfiPower dynamic cardioid

A great all-round stage vocal mic. It does not have the "cut through" that the SM58 and Sennheiser e935 and e840 have, but great for vocals that do not have a rock band behind them and also for backing vocals.

1 x MD 441 dynamic super-cardioid
A super-cardioid dynamic that can sound close to a condenser. Expensive now when new as it was designed in the days when labour was cheap and technology was expensive (it's the other way round now). Yes, I also picked this up s/h in the 1980s and. again, changed the Tuchel connector for the XLR module. An excellent and very versatile super-cardioid.

Others

AKG (not used much nowadays)
D 12 cardioid dynamic bass drum mic
Picked up s/h many years ago and I use only for bass drum - though I have seen it used as a vocal mic. by a 20s jazz band.

D 190. dynamic cardioid
An inexpensive dynamic cardioid workhorse that you used to see everywhere, long discontinued (the poor man's D202).

C 452/CK1. SDC cardioid
This used to be used everywhere by the BBC (the 452 is the 48V onlly version of the 451 that worked from 9-50V). Picked this up years ago and I alo have the VR1 extension tube with it. I have not used this for many years now as I now have much better mics (see above).

Beyerdynamic (not used much nowadays)
2 x M67n. dynamic cardioid - my first mics and almost 50 years old
These were my very first good mics which I bought in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Excellent dynamic cardioids that will do most things and Beyer only discontinued them when the tool needed replacing and was too expensive to make a new tool.

Calrec (not used much nowadays)
2 x C2050 SDC cardioid
Excellent and flexible SDC cardioids that, IMHO, were better than the AKG C451 series. The 2000 series I have have interchangeable heads, the 1000 series had fixed heads - the 600 series were very popular with amateurs. The 600 series were unbalanced with a separate power supply but were very affordable. The capsules were the same as the 1000 and 2000 series but, I think, were the ones that were just out of spec. to be used in the other series. So, instead of ditching the out of spec capsules, Calrec used them to make an inexpensive mic. for the serious amateur. Still a good s/h buy and these early Calrec mics. are sort after by quite a few.

I'm sure there are more mics that I have forgotten.

I still plan to get a stereo set of the DPA 4060 tie mics as these are very versatile and come complete with boundary mic adaptors (excellent stuck to the lid of a grand piano where space is tight).

There are lots of other excellent mics. but this is my choice and what I have and, for those who baulk at the cost of such a kit, I built up little by little over a period of almost 50 years (and is still being added to, the M 930 were purchased only a few weeks ago). Some were bought second-hand when the opportunity arose.

I always bought the very best I could afford at the time and have kept in my kit every mic. I have ever bought and I would still be happy to use any of them. Some have appreciated in value with a s/h value way above what I paid for them (I think the MKH 40 were about £350 when I bought them and the s/h price is x2 or x3 that nowadays). Remember, the Neumann U87 was about £100 when it first came out, if you can get a s/h one nowadays you would likely have to pay over £6,000 - that's x60 more!

When it comes to microphones (and monitors) I advise never to skimp and always buy the very best you can push your budget to - as a microphone is really a purchase for life and, if you buy right, you will never have to get rid of and only add to. Computers and the like have a very short life and will continually need replacing, so items like these have to pay for themselves in a very short time.

I hope this helps. :thumbup:
John Willett
Longtime Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services
Sound-Link are UK Distributors for: Microtech Gefell, ME-Geithain, AETA, HUM, Håkan, Meyer Turtle

Post by CS70 »

James Perrett wrote:The SM58 often surprises me with how good it sounds

So agree. People say that the 58 sounds bad but every time I use it (live) I'm like "woah that sounds better than I usually do".
Last edited by CS70 on Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
CS70
Longtime Poster
Posts: 7798 Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:00 am Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Post by John Willett »

CS70 wrote:
James Perrett wrote:The SM58 often surprises me with how good it sounds

So agree. People say that the 58 sounds bad but every time I use it (live) I'm like "woah that sounds better than I usually do".

The SM58 has a funny frequency response - it was designed so that a vocal would "cut through" a backing band and stand out (the Sennheiser e935 and e840 have also been designed like this).

As a lead vocal mic. it works very well in front of a band - which is why it became the "industry standard" for many years.

But, if you do not need this "cut through" characteristic, there may be better choices.
John Willett
Longtime Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Post by ore_terra »

I've been doing my "collection" according to my needs and keeping and eye on second hand sites (like SOS's Readers' ads) for those "must have's" that we all know about. at the moment I'm quite happy with the mics I have and don't really feel the "need" for anything else.

Audiotechnica ATM 250DE got it second hand last week. I still havent tried.
Audix OM6: superb as live mic for vocals. Also for live recordings with all the instruments in the same room, as the pattern must be super hiper mega ultra cardioid :mrgreen:
Beyerdynamics M160 x2: just got them 2 weeks ago and I haven't tried them yet, but don't think there's nothing new I can add about them.
Beyerdynamics M201: I use it on snare tops mainly.
Beyerdynamics M88: I didnt like it too much in bass drums, but I love it for guitar cabs!
Rode NT1000 x2 my to go vocal mic for my own voice. I guess only because it was my 1st "serious" mic and I'm so used to it. I've also use them as drums OH sometimes and room, but not a big fan in the latest.
Rode M5 x2 small, and they sound just good. I love them. I use them as OH in live recordings and when I had the recording rig full time set up in the rehearsal room.
SE R1 x2 for drums OH mainly. agreed with above: they're not too easy to use. when they're good, they're good but they are a bit tricky. Also use them blended with other mics for guitar cabs.
SE 4400A x2 honestly I bought the matched pair because the I found them at a very good price second hand. "general purpose" mics for me: where I don't know what to use I put them. drum stereo room quite often.
Shennheiser e609 for guitar cabs when live.
Shennheiser e985 x3 toms...
Shennheiser MD421-II I've tried it in the typical: guitar cabs, toms... been using it for bass drum but I find it slow. definitively not my 1st choice if I need a clicky kick. dont dislike it with my voice.
Shure SM 58 well. it does what a SM 58 does. I also liked once for high gain guitar. good bite.
Shure SM 57 ever since I got the M201, for snare bottoms. also in guitar cabs when I've tracked 2 at the same time
Shure Unidyne 515SB got it for 40€ 3 weeks ago. still havent tried.
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by John Willett »

ore_terra wrote:Beyerdynamic M160 x2: just got them 2 weeks ago and I haven't tried them yet, but don't think there's nothing new I can add about them.
Beyerdynamic M201: I use it on snare tops mainly.
Beyerdynamic M88: I didnt like it too much in bass drums, but I love it for guitar cabs!

Now these are three superb mics :thumbup:

The 160 is one I could easily add to my own kit, the 201 is one of those mics (along with the MD 421) that really everyone should have and the M88 is a superb vocal mic. :thumbup:
Last edited by John Willett on Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
John Willett
Longtime Poster
John
Sound-Link ProAudio
Circle Sound Services

Post by Aled Hughes »

ore_terra wrote:SE R1 x2 for drums OH mainly. agreed with above: they're not too easy to use. when they're good, they're good but they are a bit tricky. Also use them blended with other mics for guitar cabs.

Thanks for reminding me - I'd forgotten how much I like the R1 on guitar cabs, especially clean and backed off a bit. Maybe not quite as much as I like an U87 in that role, but not far off.

Also +1 for the Beyer M160 - forgot to mention them. One of my favorites as drum overheads.
Aled Hughes
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1746 Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:00 am Location: Pwllheli, Cymru

Post by ore_terra »

yeah... next tracking session with drums I have is in 2 weeks and I'm so looking forward to use the M160's and the ATM 250 DE.

truth is I've not used most of mi mics too much... ever since I moved here I've only done 2 sessions and luckily it seems that, slowly, but I'm getting into Seville's music scene. however as we're saying mics are "forever", therefore every interesting mic I see at good price I try to buy it if I can afford it. for the future :angel:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1067 Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:56 pm Location: Seville - Spain
casmoestudio.com

Post by andyv »

Hi all,

I am pleasantly surprised by everyone's feedback, this will get me a long way!

Thanks to all of you, I really appreciate this.

Cheers,

Andy
andyv
New here

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Just wanted to add a note about how I acquired my mics, which might be relevant to the OP. With a few exceptions (notably the Gemini) all my mics are either second hand or B stock. In my experience this is actually pretty safe - I think most people know to look after mics and do do so. By buying second hand I can try a mic out over a period and if I don't like it or have no major use for it I can sell it again for about what I paid. In this way over years I have built up my current collection which I feel comfortable with and which is not likely to change much now. I'd recommend this as an approach.

CC
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song

Post by jaminem »

Ok, i'll have a go:

Shure SM7b - Vocals, bass cabs, sometimes guitar cabs
SM57 - Guitar Cabs
Granelli G5790 (right angled SM57) - Snare
Rode NT55 - Hats, Acoustic Guitar (with Omni Cap)
Oktava MK012 - Overheads, or any stereo miking (pref Omni caps again)
Blue Kiwi - Vocals and Mid Side stuff and rooms
Sennheiser MD421 - Guitar Cabs, Toms
Beyer Soundstar X1 - not tried yet, impulse purchase
Audix D6- Toms
Beyer M201 - snare, guitar cabs
Advanced Audio U47 fet clone - Vocals, Bass cabs, Kick outside
Beyer M88 - Kick inside, bass cabs
Sontronics DM1-b - Kick, bass cabs
Sontronics Sigma - Guitar cabs
AT4033 - vocals, guitar cabs/utility stuff
Telefunken D-11B - when I want something to sound crap on purpose
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by jaminem »

ConcertinaChap wrote:Just wanted to add a note about how I acquired my mics, which might be relevant to the OP. With a few exceptions (notably the Gemini) all my mics are either second hand or B stock. In my experience this is actually pretty safe - I think most people know to look after mics and do do so. By buying second hand I can try a mic out over a period and if I don't like it or have no major use for it I can sell it again for about what I paid. In this way over years I have built up my current collection which I feel comfortable with and which is not likely to change much now. I'd recommend this as an approach.

CC

What he said - lots of mics purchased used from auctions, ebay etc...
Dynamics especially are bomb proof...
jaminem
Frequent Poster

Post by ConcertinaChap »

jaminem wrote:Dynamics especially are bomb proof...

One caveat. There's an awful lot of fake SM58's out there.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song