the latest Behringer-gate

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: the latest Behringer-gate

Post by GaryW23 »

I'd like to see someone clone or manufacture a proper hardware sampler. For years I had a Roland W30 which mangled sound in a glorious way and gave the user the choice of creating multisampled instruments and also using loop-based and one shot samples. Of all the samplers that can be bought these, not one of them allows the creation of multisampled instruments that span a keyboard chromatically - at least if there is I'm not aware of it.

Sadly I had to retire my W30 as the circuit boards got fried during a power cut and the unit no longer sampled. I have an Akai S2000 collecting dust but have no desire to use it as the mass storage options as now as rare as hen's teeth and clunky.

Behringer, are you listening?
GaryW23
Poster
Posts: 48 Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:00 am Location: Hertfordshire, England
Gary. My kit: Roland XP-30 / Alesis Micron / Korg Volca Bass / Akai S2000 / Core i3 Laptop / Roland QUAD Capture / Reaper / various plugins

Post by Chevytraveller »

GaryW23 wrote:Of all the samplers that can be bought these days, not one of them allows the creation of multisampled instruments that span a keyboard chromatically - at least if there is I'm not aware of it.

There are a number of good hardware samplers... my current favourites are the Akai MPC live(which has the new Autosampler function in the new 2.3 update)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPBE31sZvw&t=1s

also the(not technically a sampler but mindblowingly awesome) Tastychips GR-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHroTtP5X4c
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Chevytraveller wrote: also the(not technically a sampler but mindblowingly awesome) Tastychips GR-1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHroTtP5X4c

Interesting little device for sure, and looks very well implemented but €849 is pretty steep unless someone has a real use for it!
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8736 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Chevytraveller »

Eddy Deegan wrote: Interesting little device for sure, and looks very well implemented but €849 is pretty steep unless someone has a real use for it!

Worth every penny in my opinion.. fantastic sound design tool.. I haven't been this excited about a synth/sampler since getting my hands on an original Emax back in 1989..

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Posts: 948 Joined: Sat May 13, 2000 12:00 am Location: Hastings
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Chevytraveller wrote:
Eddy Deegan wrote: Interesting little device for sure, and looks very well implemented but €849 is pretty steep unless someone has a real use for it!

Worth every penny in my opinion.. fantastic sound design tool.. I haven't been this excited about a synth/sampler since getting my hands on an original Emax back in 1989..

:bouncy:

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are people who have a real use for it!

I expect some would consider the Squarp Pyramid a little on the pricey side too but it was worth it to me :D
Eddy Deegan

Post by DGL. »

Just an update for those who want to know, as always pictures courtesy of Uli Behringer posted in the relevant gearslutz.com threads.

The first prototype of the UB-Xa is being made and so a complete prototype shouldn't be too far away,
And.. The Oddyssey is now in full scale production and so they should be hitting stores in ~ 2 months time.

DGL.
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1949 Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:00 am Location: Portland, Dorset

Post by Eddy Deegan »

:thumbup:
Eddy Deegan

Post by The Elf »

Love the look of that OB clone. I really think they've pulled off the look - now I'm hoping that they nail the sound.

That Odyssey is going to be hard to resist - even for one with a Karp FS...

(And it's in my favourite Mk3 black/orange livery)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19937 Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Post by Jumpeyspyder »

UBXa is looking the part - since Behringer have a subsiduary making the clone chips, I think they'll nail the sound fine - I always wanted an OB so just waiting for a release date (guessing early 2020) and the RRP !
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1235 Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:00 am Location: Yorkshire

Post by Guest »

Thoughts:
Behringer released there Model D even when the Mini Moog was still in production if that says anything. Any new synth release would probably only be announced when sales of the current range level off. I have a wish list but from Behringers point of view what could they release now that wouldn't affect sales of the current line up?

Post by muzines »

The Oddies look great! :thumbup:

I wish the forthcoming Pro One's would have the same format, rather than just being a desktop module like the Berry Mini...
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by Jumpeyspyder »

Some differences between the OB-Xa and the UB-Xa

Two extra buttons (Orange) by the pitchbend/mod levers are for the Arpeggiator

Extra button in the 'manual' section ?

'Control', 'Modulation' and 'Oscillator' sections identical

Looks like there something on the right of the rear panel? Voice panning ?

VCF has lost a button and gained a pot, - guessing noise switch has been swapped for finer control.

One of the buttons (Blue) has what could be a couple of LEDs above it ?

(purple) Rectangle in the middle of the three looks wider possibly a tiny OLED display or an old fashioned 2 digit 7 segmented LED display ?

Anyone got any guesses ?
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1235 Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:00 am Location: Yorkshire