Behringer UFX-1604 Available for Silly Money!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Behringer UFX-1604 Available for Silly Money!

Post by Wonks »

Last edited by Wonks on Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17020 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Wonks »

People have been asking questions about it for years, but still only the QSG.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Wonks wrote:This is (was) part of their Xenyx range!

https://www.musictribe.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog/UFX1604/p/P0AB3

Doh! Sorry, so it is. Let me rephrase that, I've had full manuals for all three of my Xenyx mixers! But as we know, anecdote is not the plural of data... :)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado
Posts: 24573 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Sam Spoons »

Pedant alert :headbang:

Actually, 'data' is the plural of 'datum' :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19696 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Doh! Hoist by mine own petard! :headbang:
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by zenguitar »

blinddrew wrote:Doh! Hoist by mine own petard! :headbang:

I think you mean "one's own petard"...

;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
Posts: 12553 Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 12:00 am Location: Devon
Is it about a bicycle?

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Given what a petard is I don't think it's something you'd really want to own up to.

CC
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Not without getting a call from the counter terrorism police.

But I fear we may be drifting off topic... ;)
Drew Stephenson
Forum Aficionado

Post by Wonks »

Note that 'petard' is an anagram of both 'parted' and 'depart'; both appropriate in this instance.
Last edited by Wonks on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Phunky »

Couldn't pass on such a good deal. Ordered one by Thomann today. Thanks for the heads up :thumbup:
Phunky
Regular
Posts: 155 Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:00 am Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands

Post by Richard Benn »

Sorry, a bit late to this party, but I wondered if this might be any good for overdubbing away from the PC?

So if I connect a USB drive is it possible to assign WAV files on that drive that I have recorded elsewhere to the channels on the UFX1604 and then overdub on other channels? Or is it really just intended for capturing the individual channels of a live performance?

Thanks.

Richard
Richard Benn
Poster

Post by Wonks »

The latter. Each recording session will create new files on the attached hard drive or USB stick. You can either record or play back in 'stand-alone' mode, but you can't do both at the same time.

You can of course connect a computer and use it as an interface to do what you want, but that's probably not what you were enquiring about.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Richard Benn »

Thanks. I sometimes need to overdub away from the PC and I currently use a Zoom H5 for this and was thinking the Behringer might be a little more user friendly.

Richard
Richard Benn
Poster

Post by Wonks »

It's basically a mixer with some useful extra recording functionality built-in, rather than a stand-alone recorder with mixing facilities built in.

You could always play a stereo mix of your main recording back through the mixer from say the H5 or a phone at the same time you record some new tracks. But there is a big risk that playing back from another source means that the speed will be very slightly different to the original and will drift apart over time.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Behringer UFX-1604 Official Dimensions WRONG!

Post by Wonks »

A friend of mine has just bought one and has just informed me that the mixer is a lot larger than the dimensions given on the Behringer web site. That appears to be the dimensions without side panels or knobs fitted! :headbang: So don't go by them if ordering a flight case or similar for it. So definitely measure it yourself!

Apparently 530 x 450 x 110-ish, not the 'official' 530 x 398 x 89mm.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Reliably fallible.

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

Yes, that would be me, though please check those measurements yourself if you're looking for a case for it as they are very approximate!

Wonks is correct in that it's essentially a mixer which has 16 tracks of USB recording as a bonus feature, but for my needs it's almost perfect. I'm out every weekend with a band, and like to take live recordings whenever possible. The problem is that (a) we don't have a dedicated sound person, and (b) there's never enough time to faff around with settings before we start playing, so it's a question of rushing to plug the recording device in and crossing your fingers.

Until now I've been using the Cymatic LR-16 which I'm generally very pleased with, but even that needs a few minutes to set up, more space around the desk and cables everywhere. This seems a more elegant solution. Looking forward to giving it its first outing!
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular
Posts: 135 Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:00 am Location: Stuck behind a tractor.

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Richard Benn wrote:Sorry, a bit late to this party, but I wondered if this might be any good for overdubbing away from the PC?

So if I connect a USB drive is it possible to assign WAV files on that drive that I have recorded elsewhere to the channels on the UFX1604 and then overdub on other channels? Or is it really just intended for capturing the individual channels of a live performance?

The Zoom Livetrak L-12 can do what you want according to the manual. It does cost more than the 1604 but still only £450.

CC
Last edited by ConcertinaChap on Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12934 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
Life's a long song
but the tune ends too soon for us all

Post by Music Wolf »

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Richard Benn wrote:Sorry, a bit late to this party, but I wondered if this might be any good for overdubbing away from the PC?

The Zoom Livetrak L-12 can do what you want according to the manual. It does cost more than the 1604 but still only £450.

CC

Yes. There is an 'over dub' button / indicator. When enabled you can playback selected tracks whilst recording on others. I haven't tried importing tracks onto the SD card yet (I've only sent data the other way from SD to PC) but, according to the manual, it is possible as long as you name the files correctly.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Mike Stranks »

Ronnie Wibbley wrote:
Until now I've been using the Cymatic LR-16 which I'm generally very pleased with, but even that needs a few minutes to set up, more space around the desk and cables everywhere. This seems a more elegant solution. Looking forward to giving it its first outing!

I, too, was an LR-16 person before I bought this Behringer. It will enable me to combine all my requirements for live sound and recording in one unit. I was allwet to but an L-12 before the Behringers were offered at the current bargain price. I don't need overdubbing so it does everything I need.

PS. Anyone wanna buy an LR-16 - complete with looms? :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Double-joy...

Just discovered that the Gator MixBag that I bought in the summer for some other (about to be disposed of) kit fits the Behringer perfectly.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster