Behringer UFX-1604 Available for Silly Money!

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Behringer UFX-1604 Available for Silly Money!

Post by ConcertinaChap »

Richard Benn wrote:Sorry, a bit late to this party, but I wondered if this might be any good for overdubbing away from the PC?

So if I connect a USB drive is it possible to assign WAV files on that drive that I have recorded elsewhere to the channels on the UFX1604 and then overdub on other channels? Or is it really just intended for capturing the individual channels of a live performance?

The Zoom Livetrak L-12 can do what you want according to the manual. It does cost more than the 1604 but still only £450.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12863 Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:00 am Location: Bradford on Avon
Mr Punch's Studio
I don't play music because I think I'm a great musician,
I play because music is great and I want to be part of it.

Post by Music Wolf »

ConcertinaChap wrote:
Richard Benn wrote:Sorry, a bit late to this party, but I wondered if this might be any good for overdubbing away from the PC?

So if I connect a USB drive is it possible to assign WAV files on that drive that I have recorded elsewhere to the channels on the UFX1604 and then overdub on other channels? Or is it really just intended for capturing the individual channels of a live performance?

The Zoom Livetrak L-12 can do what you want according to the manual. It does cost more than the 1604 but still only £450.

CC

Yes. There is an 'over dub' button / indicator. When enabled you can playback selected tracks whilst recording on others. I haven't tried importing tracks onto the SD card yet (I've only sent data the other way from SD to PC) but, according to the manual, it is possible as long as you name the files correctly.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2753 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Mike Stranks »

Ronnie Wibbley wrote:
Until now I've been using the Cymatic LR-16 which I'm generally very pleased with, but even that needs a few minutes to set up, more space around the desk and cables everywhere. This seems a more elegant solution. Looking forward to giving it its first outing!

I, too, was an LR-16 person before I bought this Behringer. It will enable me to combine all my requirements for live sound and recording in one unit. I was allwet to but an L-12 before the Behringers were offered at the current bargain price. I don't need overdubbing so it does everything I need.

PS. Anyone wanna buy an LR-16 - complete with looms? :D
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Mike Stranks »

Double-joy...

Just discovered that the Gator MixBag that I bought in the summer for some other (about to be disposed of) kit fits the Behringer perfectly.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Post by Phunky »

I've just received mine. Impressive looking piece of gear considering the price-tag(311 euros).
Phunky
Regular
Posts: 155 Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 12:00 am Location: Hilversum, The Netherlands

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

Hard case for mine has just turned up, so now the rest of the band can resume their airport baggage handler impressions when loading gear in and out of the car. :D
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular
Posts: 135 Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:00 am Location: Stuck behind a tractor.

Post by Drew Stephenson »

You mean they actually help?
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24450 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Post by Wonks »

For a certain value of 'help'.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 17003 Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am Location: Reading, UK
Reliably fallible.

Post by Albatross »

fyi, Thomann have stock in Belgium have got some in stock at €299 inc vat and delivery to the UK.

And now I see they are showing 'available immediately' on the UK site too.

https://www.thomann.de/be/behringer_xen ... bd1fc217ed

And apparently Preamps sound warm, clear and loud without self noises.
Albatross
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2400 Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:00 am Location: Airstrip 1, Eurasia

Post by Random Guitarist »

I ordered one from Thomann on Tuesday evening and it was dispatched yesterday, now I just have to keep pinging the UPS page . . .
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1020 Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Post by Ronnie Wibbley »

Well, after 6 months and numerous gigs I'm extremely happy with the desk, but was wondering whether anyone had tried recording with a portable SSD from the USB out?

I use it to take quick 'n' easy live multitracks of my bands playing in pubs and clubs; the beauty of it is that once the mics are up and a couple of amps and instruments have been DI'd for the front of house, there's nothing extra to wire up and you just have to press record. Set up time is always a battle so this time saving element is very important.

For the sake of simplicity I've been using USB3 flash drives but it seems very hit or miss whether they will record properly in 24 bit resolution (some days all will be fine, next time the same drive won't be fast enough). I know that I can record in 16 bit, but this is less than ideal in a live situation as setting the input level becomes more critical and there's never enough time to fiddle with this. After previous experiences recording to a portable hard drive with my old Cymatic I'm nervous of vibrations causing glitches on the recordings, hence the SSD question.

Is these any technical reason something like, for example, the WD 500 GB My Passport Go Portable wouldn't work in the same way as a portable HD?
Ronnie Wibbley
Regular
Posts: 135 Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:00 am Location: Stuck behind a tractor.

Post by Mike Stranks »

Hi Ronnie

I share your enthusiasm!

.... and I use an external hard-drive all the time with the Behringer... not SSD though.

The Cymatic was quite fussy about what drive it would work with and my worst horror-story in 50 years concerns the Cymatic and a hard-drive....

There days with an unproven external drive - or USB stick - I tend to run a test-recording - at home of course - of 30-mins to an hour just to check all is well.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster