SOS Past Issues on WebArchive.org

All about the tools and techniques involved in capturing sound, in the studio or on location.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Missing SOS Past Issues

Post by Drew Stephenson »

Forum Admin wrote:It's very much appreciated by all.

Quoted for truth! :)

(as the young people say)
Drew Stephenson
Jedi Poster
Posts: 24445 Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am Location: York
(The forumuser formerly known as Blinddrew)
Ignore the post count, I still have no idea what I'm doing...
https://drewstephenson.bandcamp.com/

Re: Missing SOS Past Issues on WebArchive.org

Post by mmathieu »

My thanks to Ian Gilby and others who have been so kind as to assist me and to contribute to making this 1990--1993 info available. The technical articles from these years are relevant in 2018 for background, for reviewing technical theory and best practices, for introductory purposes, and -- not least of all -- for RE-learning these topics some of us were once familiar with and practiced.

Now, if I could just get at Paul White's review of the Mackie 8-bus console from Dec. 1993, I'd be better able to evaluate the pristine 16.8 unit I've acquired. MM
mmathieu
New here
Posts: 6 Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:00 am Location: California, USA

Post by mmathieu »

Hello and help !!!

I'm still resolutely trying to find (that is, PURCHASE) old SOS mags previous to 1998.

For example, I am searching for Paul White's December 1993 review of the Mackie 8 bus mixing console.

As of this date, I have not seen this or other mags in this time frame on the archive site or at other links.

Any help would be appreciated and I'd be pleased to donate $$$ or scannable old mags because I would be pleased to aid anyone who is maintaining archives of old (including ANCIENT) recording and pro audio magazines -- (e.g. Studio Sound, anyone?).

Marc Mathieu
("retired" Pres. of Advanced Audio Engineering, Inc.)
Los Angeles
mmathieu
New here

Post by muzines »

mmathieu wrote:I'm still resolutely trying to find (that is, PURCHASE) old SOS mags previous to 1998.

mmathieu wrote:For example, I am searching for Paul White's December 1993 review of the Mackie 8 bus mixing console.
As of this date, I have not seen this or other mags in this time frame on the archive site or at other links.

They come up on ebay from time to time...

Here's one available now:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sound-On-Sound-Magazine-December-1993-Volume-9-issue-2-Yamaha-VL1-Emu-Morpheus/223479869322?hash=item3408702f8a:g:-jwAAOSwo~dcXzRq

If SOS can't provide a copy of that article for you (please ask them first), then PM me and I can help you out.

mmathieu wrote:Any help would be appreciated and I'd be pleased to donate $$$ or scannable old mags because I would be plesed to aid anyone who is maintaining archives of old (including ANCIENT) recording and pro audio magazines -- (e.g., Studio Sound, anyone?).

Well, I'm not sure about *ancient* (I go back to 1975 at this point) but there is already an (almost) complete archive of Studio Sound here:
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Studio-Sound.htm
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by mmathieu »

Thanks, Desmond. I'll check out that link.

I should know how to request a copy of an article because I did so in the past. I'll have to research that option because an electronic copy would, of course, do quite niceley.

Thanks again for your post, D.

Marc.
mmathieu
New here

Re: SOS Past Issues on WebArchive.org

Post by BillB »

Hi Folks

We have discussed this before, but I can't find the exact post.

Full SOS web back issues currently go as far back as January 2002
(https://www.soundonsound.com/magazine/2002-01), with some individual articles (e.g. Synth Secrets) being listed earlier than that date.

Muzines SOS issueshttp://www.muzines.co.uk/mags/sos currently go from Nov 85 to Dec 91 (an incredible achievement, Desmond) - and I think it is your intention to run up to the end of 1993?

Both of the above resources are searchable.

Then there is the Web Archive
https://web.archive.org/web/20150629000 ... Issues.php
which carries articles as far back as Dec 2004
http://www.soundonsound.com/Contents.ph ... &Year=1994

Earlier than that, it lists issues/articles all the way back to 1985, but does not have any content. Perhaps that is the reason for Muzines ambition to run up to the end of 1993?

So, Web Archive. The search function does not work (it does not have the SOS back-end code to make this happen). If anyone wants to find an SOS article on a particular piece of gear or subject from 1994~2001 inclusive, it is essentially a lucky-dip. There is also a topic-based search option (e.g. ' workstations') but I can't find the link at present.

I have wondered for a long time whether there is some way to 'scrape' the data from the webarchive index pages to create a searchable index of the entire 1994-2001 SOS web archive articles. Short of sophisticated data scraping, which I am not capable of, only two options come to mind:

1) Save each issue index hmtl page locally, then use a file-based search to dive into each HTML page and find the ones that link to the search topic, e.g. 'JV-1080'. This has the advantage that the saved pages retain the hyperlinks to the web archive pages. So when you find the search item, you find the link right to the article. But as 96 separate files, a little more fiddly to search than:

2) Print each issue index page to PDF. This has the advantage that the pages could be tidied up and combined into a single PDF of 96 pages. Very easy to search in any PDF viewer, but no hyperlinks. A hyperlink to each web archive issue page could be added manually (x96!). When 'JV-1080' turns up in a search, you know what month/year it is and can hyperlink to the index page for that issue on web.archive.

I mention all of this in case: a) somebody has already done something similar, or b) somebody can see a more technically elegant and achievable solution. Any thoughts welcome.

If I were to go ahead with either 1) or 2) above, I would be happy to share the results via either SOS forum or Muzines , as appropriate.
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by muzines »

BillB wrote:and I think it is your intention to run up to the end of 1993?

Yes - and when I get to the next batch of SOS in a few publications' time, I'm continuing the processing run until SOS to Dec 1993 is complete. So there'll be a lot more SOS coming up over the coming year...

BillB wrote:Earlier than that, it lists issues/articles all the way back to 1985, but does not have any content. Perhaps that is the reason for Muzines ambition to run up to the end of 1993?

Yes, I asked SOS for the permission to process the issues that were pre-digital (SOS's own digital archives start at 1994). I was only ever intending, and allowed, to go up to Dec 1993.

When I've completed the SOS run, we'll sort out a handover process so that SOS will also have that 1985-1993 content in their own archive - that was always in the initial proposal because it's SOS's content and it's right that it should come home where it belongs.

It's just easier for the work involved to do it in one go, rather than bit by bit - I know Ian has enough on his plate, the last thing he wants I'm sure is me popping up with another 6 issues' worth of data every few months! :tongue:

BillB wrote:I have wondered for a long time whether there is some way to 'scrape' the data from the webarchive index pages to create a searchable index of the entire 1994-2001 SOS web archive articles. Short of sophisticated data scraping, which I am not capable of, only two options come to mind:

Heh. Yes, and no. :)

The bottom line is that as far as I understand, it's not quite that simple on SOS's end, as they are rebuilding the articles back from the initial image assets and so on, which is why it's been a slowish and ongoing process for them (bearing in mind they also have a ton of other priorities).

BillB wrote:I mention all of this in case: a) somebody has already done something similar, or b) somebody can see a more technically elegant and achievable solution. Any thoughts welcome.

If I were to go ahead with either 1) or 2) above, I would be happy to share the results via either SOS forum or Muzines , as appropriate.

Bill - you still have access to the mu:zines Slack - can you drop in there quickly?
muzines
Jedi Poster
..............................mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio  | Legacy Logic Project Conversion

Post by muzines »

Basically, I'm happy to knock up some kind of forum post with indexes of the 94-2002/whatever content, with links to those articles on the wayback machine, as a temporary measure, if the PTB think such a thing would be OK and useful.

(Or you can do it manually of course, but personally I'd scrape it into a DB then export it into forum posts)

I think it's a good idea and worth considering, for sure... :thumbup:
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by Forum Admin »

Hi Bill and desmond,

Converting back issues has been a task I took on but my workload has prevented me from having time to create any new "old" issues, but it is still our intention to get back to January 1994. I ceased creating and publishing old archives on a monthly issue basis as it became easier to respond to requests for special reviews or features, eg. I did all 63 parts of Synth Secrets.

I am happy for desmond to create an Index of those 1994-2002 articles and link to their version on Wayback.

And once desmond has got mu:zines up to date for SOS November 1985 through to December 1993, as he states, we'll put that content in some form on our own site.
Forum Admin
Posts: 4233 Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:00 pm Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
Search 16,966 SOS Reviews+Techniques articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
SOS Podcasts

Post by muzines »

Thanks Ian. :thumbup:

I'll liaise with Bill (as it was his idea/suggestion) and we'll see what we can come up with.
muzines
Jedi Poster

Post by BillB »

Desmond has come forward with a far more technically elegant solution than I had in mind, so I'll step back 8-)
...cheer from the sidelines :bouncy::bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:
...and let the man get on with what he excels at :thumbup:

Very much looking forward to a reasonably continuous searchable SOS archive. :geek:
BillB
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1903 Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2003 12:00 am Location: East Yorkshire

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

BillB wrote:Desmond has come forward with a far more technically elegant solution...

He's astonishingly good at doing that... :D
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38831 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual...