Attic Room Studio Build

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Moderator: Moderators

Attic Room Studio Build

Post by Luke W »

I've recently "finished" my studio build that I've been working away at on and off for the last couple of years, and thought it may be of interest to some people on here. The room is in an attic, and the setup is centered in a dormer, so there was a lot of interesting shapes to work to! Because of these interesting shapes and the layout in general, I went for a complete self build, so it may be of help to anyone who's thinking of making some acoustic panels or starting on a similar project.

I know it gets said on here a lot, but the difference this treatment has made really is like night and day. I've gone from working mainly with headphones to having a room with a precise, balanced sound, decent imaging, and a pretty reliable low end considering the size of the space, all for less money than you could spend on another mic...

Bit of a disclaimer:
Although I'm competent in the fields of audio and woodwork, I'm by no means an expert in acoustics (quite the opposite!), and I'm sure there are things I could have done better or more effectively. I wouldn't want to set anyone off on the wrong path so I'd welcome any feedback here along the way.

First couple of pictures, from empty space to working room. I'll get started on digging through and uploading the others.

The Room:

The Result:
Luke W
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1536 Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:00 am Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Re: Attic Room Studio Build

Post by Music Wolf »

That looks very neat. It certainly puts my DIY / woodworking skills to shame :sick:
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster
Posts: 2755 Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am Location: Exiled to St Helens

Post by Eddy Deegan »

I love the colour scheme of dark wood and purple :clap::thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8816 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Folderol »

Looks very cosy and inviting - a lot packed in there too :clap::thumbup:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18177 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Post by Martin Walker »

Bravo Luke - I agree with Eddy that the purple/wood colour combo looks gorgeous! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by Luke W »

Thanks all, much appreciated :thumbup:

I've sorted though some photos from early on, I think it's safe to say I took far too many along the way... More will follow as I get them uploaded.

First up were some traps for the back wall corners. Because of the combination of the window and the narrow space it wasnt possible to go from floor to ceiling with 600x600 triangles, so I decided to go up to the height of the window sill and then make some seperate panels above that which angled outwards to meet the edge of the window.

A few pictures of the framing/rockwool:

And a couple of them in place:

The bases are MDF, and the rest of the framing is some standard 2x1 and 3x1 planed timber. There were a few times along the way where I used materials purely because I already had some off-cuts or spare bits laying around, and I fancied saving a few quid whilst using up some old bits and pieces.

The Rockwool is RW3, and I used a combination of 100mm and 50mm slabs.
Last edited by Luke W on Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Watchmaker »

ah, this is killer. Nicely balanced and symmetrical!

I especially appreciate the video monitor placement - I hope you don't mid me shamelessly stealing that from you. I also really like the unfilled rack spaces and patch bay. room to grow!

it looks a bit like the shou sugi ban technique on the baffle sides - a nice touch
Last edited by Watchmaker on Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1146 Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am Location: Upstate NY, USA
Where does sound exist?

Post by Luke W »

No problem, steal away. That is how I finished the timber for the framework, well spotted, although I'll admit to not knowing the name of the technique! It makes cheap timber look much more presentable.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

Next up is the start of the sloping ceiling, another frame made up from 3x1 and 2x1 big enough for a whole 1200mmx600mm slab of Rockwool.

Start of the frame:

Test fit and a new temporary job for some mic stands:

Mounting plate and some wire to help stop the Rockwool sagging.:

Rockwool in, and panel fixed.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Martin Walker »

Love that clever use of mic stands as temporary trap supports Luke! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker
Posts: 20634 Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:44 am Location: Cornwall, UK

Post by James Perrett »

Martin Walker wrote:Love that clever use of mic stands as temporary trap supports Luke! :clap:

As a tip to other studio builders who are thinking of using heavier panels - get yourself a panel lift. They're essential for fixing plasterboard on the ceiling and also useful for keeping plasterboard panels in position on walls.
James Perrett
Posts: 14352 Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 12:00 am Location: The wilds of Hampshire
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Post by Luke W »

Thanks, Martin! Did the trick...

I'd second James' advice for anything that's heavy though, I've used those lifts for doing plasterboard ceilings before and they're beyond helpful.

Should have some more bits and pieces to post up here in a little while.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

Next up, some side panels for the "mirror points". A simple rectangle frame to hold one slab of 1200x600 slab of 50mm Rockwool.

This is an example of somewhere that I used some old off-cuts to do the job. I made the outsides of the rectangular frame from some leftover MDF, which isn't the right choice of material at all, but knowing how I was planning on mounting the panel to the wall, as well as knowing I'd be framing up the outside seperately anyway meant that it didn't really affect the overall result, and I just wanted the stuff out of the way! The sensible thing to do is to just make the whole frame from timber, it'll be easier, stronger and generally less hassle.

Cutting some strips to size;

Braces in:

Mounted in place:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Sam Spoons »

Excellent pictures Luke, and a lovely job all round. I had, sort of, planned to take more pics of my studio refurb but just got impatient to be getting on with the job :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Posts: 19693 Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:00 am Location: Manchester UK
People often mistake me for a grown-up because of my age.

Post by Eddy Deegan »

Following with interest as I'll be doing something similar soon myself. The photos of the construction are really good to see :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Posts: 8816 Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am Location: Brighton & Hove, UK
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects  

Post by Luke W »

Sam Spoons wrote:Excellent pictures Luke, and a lovely job all round. I had, sort of, planned to take more pics of my studio refurb but just got impatient to be getting on with the job :blush:

Thanks very much. I try to get as many as I can with most projects, I do tend to end up with some gaps where I got carried away and forgot to take some though.

Eddy Deegan wrote:Following with interest as I'll be doing something similar soon myself. The photos of the construction are really good to see :thumbup:

Glad it helps :thumbup:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Luke W »

The next stage was some panels above the corner traps that came out at an angle to meet the window frame, although it's not much of an angle it meant I could get an extra 50mm of Rockwool in at the deepest end.

The start of a frame:

Test fit:

Rockwool in and frame fixed :

Shorter version for underneath:

Sides finished:
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Hugh Robjohns »

Nice work, and I'm sure a lot of people will find the constructional images very helpful.
:thumbup::clap:
H
Hugh Robjohns
Posts: 38970 Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2003 12:00 am Location: Worcestershire, UK
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound...
(But generally posting my own personal views and not necessarily those of SOS, the company or the magazine!)
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Post by Luke W »

Cheers, Hugh. I hope so, I've found the forums very useful over the years so it'd be nice if some help could go back the other way for a change!

Onto the next stage, finishing the sloped ceiling panels. I wanted the edge of the panel to sit completely flush with the ceiling rather than be bordered by a timber frame, and the angle of the pitch roof made the cuts rather interesting. I started out by marking out where the panel should sit, and taking some measurements along where I wanted the braces to sit. I like just cracking on with a saw as much as the next person, but some planning and paper definitely helped here.

Marked out:

The simple half of the frame:

I then clamped that half in place, and double checked measurements for the braces.

Angles on the edge of the braces:

Because of the odd angles, I cut the braces slightly longer than necessary and then trimmed down the straight end once the angles were fitting nicely. This allowed a bit of room for error, and cutting off the other end at 90 degrees is a far simpler task than trying to shave a few mm off of the angle you've just got to sit nicely...

Another test fit with the braces attached, the longer one does fit, but gravity is doing its bit. Honest:

You can never have too many clamps:

A couple of shots with the rockwool in:

Final test fit:

These came back down as they were getting fixed together and placed up as one panel once I'd got the fabric on. I also got another few slabs of rockwool behind them before fixing them in, so at the deepest end theres around 250mm.
Luke W
Frequent Poster

Post by Folderol »

That's some serious carpentry there - those angles would drive me off screaming :o
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Posts: 18177 Joined: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:00 am Location: The Mudway Towns, UK
Yes. I am that Linux nut {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Onwards and... err... sideways!